why the HBO show 'MIGHT' have f****d up

TORMUNDSMEMBER10

I think having the Night's Watch stuff last two seasons will have the effect Martin feared the five-year gap would have: stopping any momentum in the Others plot cold.

There are ways to keep them in the story:

season 4 - Bran being assaulted by wights outside the cave (and possibly before that when he meets Coldhands as well, assuming he meets Coldhands on the show).

season 5 - I they decide to show Tormand trying to rally support after Mance's defeat we could get some white walker stuff. This could also set up mother mole and Hardhome for season 6

season 6 - Cotter Pyke could act as a viewpoint in Hardhome.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see 2 VASTLY different endings.

None of us know obviously how the story from the books will end, but for the TV show it wouldn't surprise me to see an entirely invented finale that encompasses some form of Jon/Dany together and on the throne. Could that happen in the books? Maybe, but that's not a theory I subscribe to at all.

But the TV series is becoming its own entity. With the success of this show HBO will make money on it for decades to come and they would love nothing more than their own fairy tale version of Twilight. IF the show runners must make their own ending and their own version of an ending, it would come as no surprise to me to see some sappy love story between 2 of the more popular if not the most popular characters, played by 2 of the more popular if not the most popular actor and actress from the show.

I doubt that ending highly in the books, and I'd hate to see that ending on the TV series, but I'm already mentally prepared for it. It's becoming increasingly inevitable they'll have to make their own version of a finale and I'm fairly convinced that's going to be it.

I think better of D&D then that. They won't put Jon and Dany together just for the sake of "popularity." They don't have to, because Game of Thrones is on HBO, and thus, less dependant then most shows on it's own popularity. I mean, it's a very popular show, don't get me wrong, but basically, HBO makes their money from subscriptions rather then ad sales, which means they can underwrite a show no one watches for as long as they want, so long as the popularity of their other shows stays high.

And theres a famous story David Chase liked to tell about a season-ender for The Sopranos that was simple and dramatic.... and the HBO suits listened to it and said, "well that's fine, but it's a little conventional. Can we do something edgier?" It blew David Chase's mind. Suits NEVER want edgey. But they do at HBO.

So don't worry. GoT has a long way to go before it's Twilight.

It surprises me how little faith people have in D&D just because they don't follow the books word by word, it might not be exactly like the books, but GOT is an excellent show (not perfect, but better than most tv shows that are out there) and, as The Idiots Lantern has said, HBO is not your usual network, only worried about selling ads and having good ratings, they also care about the quality of their products so don't worry, GOT will never have anything in common with Twilight.

It surprises me how little faith people have in D&D just because they don't follow the books word by word, it might not be exactly like the books, but GOT is an excellent show (not perfect, but better than most tv shows that are out there) and, as The Idiots Lantern has said, HBO is not your usual network, only worried about selling ads and having good ratings, they also care about the quality of their products so don't worry, GOT will never have anything in common with Twilight.

Peter Jackson made huge changes in LOTR going from book to screen and I love those films, but this is different. Its the way D&D break from the books that I find objectionable.

Peter Jackson made huge changes in LOTR going from book to screen and I love those films, but this is different. Its the way D&D break from the books that I find objectionable.

I agree, D&D screwed up all the storylines big time in season 2.

I made a big post about how TV-Jon is all messed up and sucky. But it didn't get approved.

I thought Kit did a good job Season 1. Season 2 I thought he was fine as well, but the writing was a bit subpar for the story. Season 3 I didn't like his sudden tough guy routine or in love routine either. Fortunately he goes back to being a quiet, melancholy, and lonely guy in S4 and beyond, which is what I think his strength is since that's basically who he is as a person it seems.

I don't think TV Jon is as popular as book Jon. Dany is a star and he's more of an afterthought.

Hopefully that will be rectified in season 4.

I think that is due to the fact that the actor playing Jon Snow is awful, whereas the character in the book is great.

Season 4 will be his chance to prove otherwise. To be fair he didn't receive the best material in season 2 and 3. Some more scenes with Halfhand and Mance would have helped.

I think that is due to the fact that the actor playing Jon Snow is awful, whereas the character in the book is great.

I'm certainly not the biggest fan of Kit Harrington's performance, but I'm not sure it's entirely his fault. I think Jon is just a character that is really inscrutable without the inner monologue we get from the books. He is a rather stoic, melancholy boy in his actions and spoken words. So translating him from book to screen is quite difficult.

I think the upcoming seasons should help.

Season 4 will be the last chance to redeem Jon and Stannis ( yes, I still have some hopes for him ). Let's see, but honestly, D&D hate Stannis and don't care about Jon, so they'll probably have like no screentime and all the focus will be on Lannisters and Dany.

*************************SPOILERS**************************** (I posted this in the 'general' forum but I think it automatically got moved to the tv series forum because I used the words HBO... which is the reason i thought spoilers would be okay...) Right, I agree that the HBO show 'Game of thrones' is the best thing on TV. But it is still not as good as the books. and they have left out things and changed things that could come back to bite them. firstly, there are only two Tyrell siblings, so we wont really know anything about the iron born taking the shields? because nobody could inform loras or Margery? so will the show leave that out? also they have merged gendry and edric storm in the show, both of them probably have further storylines in different locations so what will they do there? also why is Asha (sorry 'Yara') going to save theon? the kingsmoot is surely soon, will they do that without Asha? I originally thought that she would return home when she finds out her father died, but why would they have introduced that scene in the show just to send her straight back home? she surely cant take theon back because that would change too much? now the MAJOR one is that there is a theory jeyne westerling is with the blackfish and pregnant. I originally thought this was a terrible idea because its too much of a happy fairytale kind of thing (even though Robb was my fave non POV character , arya and jon being my faves). But I then think it wont be a bad idea because he wont really play a part in the books (because jon would be king of the north regent? until baby comes of age). so not much would change apart from we can end the book knowing the starks may live on and reproduce instead of being wiped out ( currently rickon is the only one who could carry on the stark line). and the best part of this theory would be the look on Dan and Davids face when they read about the baby king in the north! anybody got any ideas what they would do about it? I cant think of anything they could do which wouldn't be pretty stupid. am I the only one who thinks they have a problem on their hands or do people think they are fine? :)

When you decide to learn how to properly punctuate and structure your paragraph, I will read it.

When you decide to learn how to properly punctuate and structure your paragraph, I will read it.

sorry, seems most people are capable of reading it. Should i make it simpler for you next time? also the only way you could know it isnt properly punctuated and structured is if you had read it, which you stated you didnt... so instead of trying to look funny or whatever you failed in pulling off, just dont. stick to the asoiaf theme, its for discussions not petty corrections.

Well, reading your writing is difficult, and I don't know how hard could it be to capitalize your "I"s and start sentences properly. Seems like basic respect for your fellow forum dwellers to me. Nobody expects perfection.

Oh, and touching "Enter" button every once in a while. It's easy!

also why is Asha (sorry 'Yara') going to save theon? the kingsmoot is surely soon, will they do that without Asha?

I'm glad they skip the kingsmoot altogether. Useless in the plot and boring. Now Asha can step right into Stannis without taking that detour to the iron islands.

*************************SPOILERS**************************** (I posted this in the 'general' forum but I think it automatically got moved to the tv series forum because I used the words HBO... which is the reason i thought spoilers would be okay...) Right, I agree that the HBO show 'Game of thrones' is the best thing on TV. But it is still not as good as the books. and they have left out things and changed things that could come back to bite them. firstly, there are only two Tyrell siblings, so we wont really know anything about the iron born taking the shields? because nobody could inform loras or Margery? so will the show leave that out? also they have merged gendry and edric storm in the show, both of them probably have further storylines in different locations so what will they do there? also why is Asha (sorry 'Yara') going to save theon? the kingsmoot is surely soon, will they do that without Asha? I originally thought that she would return home when she finds out her father died, but why would they have introduced that scene in the show just to send her straight back home? she surely cant take theon back because that would change too much? now the MAJOR one is that there is a theory jeyne westerling is with the blackfish and pregnant. I originally thought this was a terrible idea because its too much of a happy fairytale kind of thing (even though Robb was my fave non POV character , arya and jon being my faves). But I then think it wont be a bad idea because he wont really play a part in the books (because jon would be king of the north regent? until baby comes of age). so not much would change apart from we can end the book knowing the starks may live on and reproduce instead of being wiped out ( currently rickon is the only one who could carry on the stark line). and the best part of this theory would be the look on Dan and Davids face when they read about the baby king in the north! anybody got any ideas what they would do about it? I cant think of anything they could do which wouldn't be pretty stupid. am I the only one who thinks they have a problem on their hands or do people think they are fine? :)

Why the fact that there's only 2 Tyrell siblings affects the shield islands I have no idea, Anybody in the reach could send KL info about the shields there's no need for it to be garlan, It looked for the end of mhysa that instead of going to essos gendry was returning to KL so he can easily return to the riverlands in time for brienne to meet him, edric we don't know is gonna be important and I doubt we will as we haven't heard of him since asos, and I thought he was going to the cities fighting over the disputed lands all of which I doubt he'll appear in. as for the asha situation although I dunno where that story is going I'm gonna assume she'll just receive a raven on the way to get theon telling her balons dead and she needs to return. as for Jeyne's pregnancy it's only a theory and one I don't subscribe to so I don't think it's gonna be much of a problem (off-topic, in future put your arguments into paragraphs when posting it makes it a lot easier to read, un-less like me you're computer won't let you do spacing for some reason

Archived