Luwin's sacrifice to the heart tree and the safety of the Stark Boys

Prince DragonFly

So this may have been discussed before, and I know for a fact that whether or not Luwin actually thought he was going to be sacrificed to the Old Gods is a point of contention.

But when he had Osha give him the gift of mercy under the heart tree, is it possible that Luwin's last request to keep the boys safe has thus far been accomplished because he was used as a sacrifice to protect Bran and Rickon on their journeys?

thoughts?

I think that in an act of desperation, Luwin decided to "give magic a shot" in a sense. His whole world had been turned upside down and he knew that something magical was going on with Bran. So maybe when Osha promised to keep them safe, his sacrifice has made sure this will come true.

Interesting never thought of that as a blood sacrifice because there was no sort of invocation of the Gods. Maybe Osha uttered one in silence?

Curiously, I had arrived at the same question: was this a blood sacrifice to the Gods of the North? It certainly looked like it, and Osha was the only one of the group who could have done it. She is not only brave but also knowledgable on the subject. She is truly growing on me.

I really, really like this idea. I figured it was very symbolic and left it at that, but then again, we know GRRM doesn't do things for the sake of symbolism alone. At least, that's what I figured.

Also, Luwin doesn't have a Valyrian chain for nothing! Even if little came of it, the information/intent is there.

I hope we get to know more about Maester Luwin in the coming books. And his Valyrian steel link always made me wonder,

since only one in one hundred maestar have the Valyrian steel link.But maybe the Old gods accepted Maester Luwin as a sacrifice even if it wasnt intentional.

Blood of maestar luwin going into the ground of godswood and being absorbed by the heart tree.

But thanks for bringing up this real curious event.

Is there anywhere else in the books where someone dies under a weirwood? I remember when Brienne killed Shagwell under the tree at the whispers. When I read the scene I wondered if it was a "blood sacrifice" that Bolton was talking about. Never registered the ML mercy kill under a weirwood-good catch. Any others?

Is there anywhere else in the books where someone dies under a weirwood? I remember when Brienne killed Shagwell under the tree at the whispers. When I read the scene I wondered if it was a "blood sacrifice" that Bolton was talking about. Never registered the ML mercy kill under a weirwood-good catch. Any others?

Brann's vision of the past where he sees a woman slit a man's throat with a bronze sickle underneath the weirwood at Winterfell.

I have no doubt blood sacrifice have ancient roots in the Old God customs, As in hanging entrails in branches of heart tree and try to please the Gods,

may blood make the Weirwood trees stronger and makes their roots large and long?

If Bran the builder built Winterfell 8000 years ago, and the Weirwood was there before that, that means the heart tree is 8000 years old, thats a very long time.

and if there are surviving heart trees before the first men came than there are many Weirwood trees that are 10000 years old.

Are Weirwood trees immortal unless cut down by humans or burned by fire? seemingly they endure Winter.

But what does the sacrifice achieve. Bran can taste blood when someone sacrifices to a heart tree, but how is it related to magic of the old gods.

There are constant references to blood being used (and an essential element) in magic, but it is never explained how it is used and what purpose does it solve.

Is it a sacrifice if the person is already dying? Not trying to be too cynical or anything, then again the fact that it happened in front of a Weirwood does mean that BR is going to be more aware, if they discussed Osha's plans for Rickon then he may have assisted them aswell as Bran and co.

Are Weirwood trees immortal unless cut down by humans or burned by fire? seemingly they endure Winter.

Weirwoods will live forever if allowed to.

Archived