is westeros a real place?

tits and wine

I live in Sweden in a town called Västerås. How do you pronounce Västerås? Vestuhroos. Sounds awfully similar to Westeros right? But here's the real cool part, you know Jorah, he's from Bear Island, and in Västerås we do have a place called "Björn ön". If you translate Björn Ön to English you get Bear Island. Is this just a coincidence? It can't be

Sorry for my English though, as I said above i'm from Sweden..

To the OP:

Westeros is "based" on a real place, but the ones that you mention are not it. Geography wise, it is based on Ireland and Scotland; google "westeros ireland" for south of the Neck and "westeros scotland" for the North to see what I mean. Geopolitico-historically, it is the British isles as well: the Children and other Old Races are analogous to the Sidhe and other faerie races; the First Men are analogous to the Celtic tribes; the Andals are analogous to the Anglo-Saxons; and the Targaryens and Valyrians-in-Westeros are analogous to William the Conqueror and the Normans.

Now, as to "Terraros" (as I like to call it, at least; don't think that Martin has ever actually named his world, only some of the continents), the literary conceit is that it actually IS Earth, just a much earlier history alternate version of it done in the same vein as Tolkien viewed his Middle-Earth.

It's even better when you know that Rory McCann who plays Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane ...

well... Let Rory speak:

“ You know, my name McCann actually translates from ‘canis,’ or ‘canine.’ I am a hound.”

McCann lives a spartan Highland Scottish life.

I think he comes as close to the real 'dog'(a plaid one!), off the show as on!

He is a delight as an actor , he damn near steals scenes or would if he were not embedded in a gaggle of scene stealers!

I love watching him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived