No POV for Stannis?

I've read that, and I always thought it has some merit, but Stannis character has developed since the showdown with Renly, and he regrets what happened to Renly. I really struggle to see Stannis joining the Others because it goes against so much of his character. The idea that Stannis covets the throne above all else is a misreading of his character, i would argue. Stannis wants the throne because he wants respect, (and yes, I would argue, the love that his brothers had that he never received.)

More than anything though, I dislike the notion because Stannis is one of the most painfully human characters, he's well intentioned and wants to do the right thing, but he's by no means selfless, he is deeply flawed, and yes, damaged as a person. I think it would be a weak ending for such a human character to end up leading a magical army of the undead. I don't think it fits with his character or narrative arc.

the throne and stannis' self worth are tangled worse than a weirwood root. however, again, i expect a twist from grrm. stannis will be the fire version of the nightking and fight against the others for the realm but his soul will be lost and he will die in the fight. stannis will break before he bends. that's the "going out with a bang" ending. The other ending is lord commander of the watch.

Stannis is a character who introduces us to two more pov's Mellisandre and Davos(i might have missed other pov's stannis introduced us to). This is Stannis true porpuse within the story line. He is a great character but at the end of the day since he is not a pov, not a main character.

Stannis is a character who introduces us to two more pov's Mellisandre and Davos(i might have missed other pov's stannis introduced us to). This is Stannis true porpuse within the story line. He is a great character but at the end of the day since he is not a pov, not a main character.

I disagree. Stannis is a very important player in the game and is poised to be a very important player in the supernatural battle that is forthcoming. Actually, the choices of Mel and Davos are interesting because they represent the two sides of Stannis.

On the one hand, Mel represents Stannis' belief in his destiny, his need (not love) for power, and his realism (what must be done for the good of the realm). She also represents fire, the mystical, and femininity.

On the other hand, Davos represents Stannis' justice, his honor, and his compassion. He also represents water, the human/mortal, and masculinity.

Martin chose not to have a Stannis POV and have us examine him through these two lens for a very specific reason, and this thought and dedication to Stannis actually makes him an important character rather than an unimportant one.

Robert, Robb, Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Balon, Euron, Tommen, Aegon, no kings have POV chapters.

we see their actions through other POV characters, why does Damphair get a POV over Stannis? because he is our window to view King Euron on the Iron Islands. very simple. Just like Bran and Catelyn were our window to view Robb, Sansa and Tyrion for Joffrey, Jon Con for Aegon, Davos for Stannis.

Dany and Cersei are exceptions since they are queens.

I disagree. Stannis is a very important player in the game and is poised to be a very important player in the supernatural battle that is forthcoming. Actually, the choices of Mel and Davos are interesting because they represent the two sides of Stannis.

On the one hand, Mel represents Stannis' belief in his destiny, his need (not love) for power, and his realism (what must be done for the good of the realm). She also represents fire, the mystical, and femininity.

On the other hand, Davos represents Stannis' justice, his honor, and his compassion. He also represents water, the human/mortal, and masculinity.

Martin chose not to have a Stannis POV and have us examine him through these two lens for a very specific reason, and this thought and dedication to Stannis actually makes him an important character rather than an unimportant one.

King rob stark not a pov dead, King Joffrey not a pov dead, King robert baratheon not a pov dead, king renly not a pov dead, king balon grey joy not a pov dead, All kings, all non pov's, all dead. you see the pattern. Stannis is a person of authority with in the series and makes alot of crucial decisions that moves the story along but he is not a main character. For instance most of Stannis we see at he Battle of the black water we see and hear through and text of davos. It is Davos who loses his sons Davos who is marooned Davos is the main character. When Mel and Stannis go to the wall and meet Jon. Jon and mel have interactions with Stannis but it is Jon and Mel povs we hear Stannis through. It is Jon who turns down his legitimization and jon who gives the advice on the hill and moutain tribes we hear Jon's inner thoughts and justification for his actions. Same result in the Theon gift chapter. Stannis as a character has know inner reflection or narrative, Stannis lacks devoted text. Stannis is a powerful character with in the series and is very interesting however because of these facts he is not a main character. Jon, Mel, and Davos are Main characters.

I have a ton of respect for Stannis... I mean, the dude's a boss... and am surprised at how much I ended up liking him given my first impressions of him from AGoT (all hearsay), but I have to agree that the reason he doesn't get a POV is probably because he's not considered a primary protagonist. I suppose it could turn into a Jaime situation, where we get into his head in the next book (but if it's anything like when we finally got into Cersei's head, it'll be a huge disappointment, character wise), but at the moment, I'm inclined to believe that while he's an important player who helps sets up the dominos (like Ned, Rhaegar, Robb, etc.), at the end of the game he's not going to be the one to help knock them down.

I really hope and I'm almost sure that Mel will get atleast one or more POV in WoW since she's the only one at the wall as a POV. (With Jon but he's in a bad shape atm)

I'm really interested in Melisandre and what GRRM said in an interview how Mel is one of the most misunderstood character. I wonder how her story will develop in Winds of Winter.

GRRM has to decide which perspective is more interesting for the reader. And I think in Stannis' case, it's much more interesting to see him through the eyes of Davos and Jon Snow or Theon than the other way around.

There are other characters where a POV is better than a second hand account. Especially for our "protagonists," we should be right in their head. Sometimes it's very interesting to give some minor characters a POV and see those protagonists through different eyes.

When George felt it was necessary that we got a Melisandre POV (which I loved), we got one. Always depends what he thinks is best. I don't know, maybe we'll get a Stannis Epilogue POV in TWOW ;)

Archived