Sell me your local neighborhood cuisine

Sci-2

Love me some cochinita pibil from Yuca's.

A bit different style in SF but you can't go wrong with the carnitas tacos from La Taqueria on Mission st. Burma Superstar is awesome and pretty unique. Jumping across the Bay into Berkely I love breakfast at Rick and Anne's. Pizza is all about Zacharys, both the deep dish and thin cornmeal crust. More upscale but at the tops in terms of California cuisine Camino in Oakland is as good as it gets. Cool to watch them cook over an open flame fire pit. Very solid cocktail program as well.

You just listed some of my favorites. You should suggest these in the NorCal BWB thread as a place for a meetup. ;)

I am currently loving that parking lot across from Costco under the freeway where the food trucks hang out. It makes me feel like a hipster, but whatever.

Not my neighborhood, but during my recent travels I came across a truly wonderful pizza joint where I least expected: Zola's Pizzeria in Brookings, Oregon (just north of the California border, off of Hwy 101). The pizza is made from scratch every time and made with love by a bunch of young hipsters who learned how to make really fucking good pizza from someone or somewhere. It also has a really dynamic vibe; the entire place is decorated with plain white pizza boxes on which were drawn various logos for Zola's by customers and the attitude is very cool and laid back. One of the best places I ate in my entire road trip.

Damn it, that's where I buy my krokodil. Keep that shit on the hush.

That does make it sounds extra sketchy, doesn't it? :lol: But seriously, it's got nothing on where I actually live, home of aforementioned possibly-radioactive pizza.

Haggis is good stuff.

Made my own once for a burns dinner. Changed the rules and cased it in beef middles like a large sausage. Poached it, sliced it, seared it crispy, topped it with an egg and a whisky onion gravy.

Not traditional but fucking good

I'd eat haggis like that. Send some please! :P

Sell me on haggis then. I am not opposed to eating animal organs.

When you get right down to it, there isn't that big a difference between the historical sausage and haggis beyond reputation.

There's a pretty good pizza place in my neighbourhood...it's been there since I was a kid, while all the other places around it keep shifting (some sort of asian fusion thing going on now, but not particularly good) so it gets my vote. Their pesto pizza is excellent. It's not radioactive, but these days it gets stones through the windows every now and then for not being sufficiently kosher, and there was a bombing about ten meters away once. So it's pretty much my neighbourhood in a nice, warm, doughy nutshell.

When you get right down to it, there isn't that big a difference between the historical sausage and haggis beyond reputation.

To be quite frank, I'm not a huge sausage fan.

...*snicker*

I do enjoy Taiwanese sweet sausage and kielbasa though.

Minneapolis has a lot of great Vietnamese places due to the large Hmong population. Kihn Do and the Lotus are good but Quang's is the best. The lemongrass chicken is delicious.

Black Forest for German. The spaetzel and cheese casserole has been a favorite since childhood and they make a delicious chocolate orange martini.

It's Greek To Me is really yummy. Especially the Mediterranean chicken.

There are a million Japanese and Thai places. Chiang Mai for Thai and Fuji-Ya for Japanese are my favorites.

For a really unique experience try Piccolo. They make weird things like pig's feet, octopus and duck eggs delicious. Expensive but worth it as a treat. The best is to go in a group of 4-6 and get the whole menu to share.

http://www.piccolompls.com/menu.html

Anyone in the Portland, OR area must really make a pilgrimage to Beaverton for traditional Korean food at Haerim. I would walk over broken glass for five miles for another bowl of their Kimchee Chigae. I'm sure there's better K- barbecue or higher-end fusion stuff out there, but for stews and home-style cooking I have yet to find its match anywhere in the US.

Anyone in the Portland, OR area must really make a pilgrimage to Beaverton for traditional Korean food at Haerim. I would walk over broken glass for five miles for another bowl of their Kimchee Chigae. I'm sure there's better K- barbecue or higher-end fusion stuff out there, but for stews and home-style cooking I have yet to find its match anywhere in the US.

Oooooh. Thanks for this. I love Korean food and Portland. I just didn't know I could indulge those two loves at the same time.

Archived