Why Sansa is a great character

I don't really have an opinion on Sansa one way or the other in terms of whether or not I like her character. If anything I'm pretty neutral towards her. Most of her chapters, until AFFC, were really boring to me. She spent a lot of time focusing on things that I cannot relate to and alot of time doing things that I cannot relate too. Part of it is her surroundings at first. In the red keep she really has no time to get involved in the intrigue and such. Once LF and her jump ship her chapters developed a kind of charm. Still I won't say she is anywhere near my favorite character. That seems to put me in the minority though. I'll repeat this just because I don't want to start a riot. I do not dislike Sansa, but her chapters hold little appeal to me as a reader. Anyway carry on with the Sansa love :ohwell:

I like Sansa mostly due to the fact that other than Jamie and Theon she has probably undergone the most changes of any of the POV characters. I found her vapid and naive in the first book but after Eddards death she becomes a completely different character. Since then her chapters have only got more and more interesting for me. The part where she goes out into the snow and starts making a model of Winterfell while in the Eyrie in AFFC is one of the most poignant moments in the entire series for me, at least until Robert and Littlefinger ruin it.

• 1 month later...

Sansa is the best. If what happened to her happened to me, I would be very bitter and just trying to look out for myself. What I love about Sansa is that, dispute all the terrible things that happen to her, she is still one of the most empathetic characters, helping those who could not possibly help her in return (sir dontos, her crazy cousin robert, the women during the battle on the blackwater).

Great thread. Sansa is definitely one of my favorite characters and her character development is subtle and slow-moving but it's there. She's slowly gaining a different view of the world and learning things through trial and error. And because of the struggles she has suffered, she begins to gain empathy for others. I consider her one of the best characters of the series and the fact that she's controversial to readers shows to me that George Martin did a great job with creating a complex character.

Archived