Septa Lemore is?

Sunstaff

Not really. I think it's because there are multiple instances in the text to indicate that the Septa has a secret. GRRM pretty much clobbers you with it.

Agreed! Might be a red herring but GRRM insists on dropping clues about Septa Lemore not being/not having always been a Septa.

Tyrion thinks in ADWD: "Lemore, though... Who is she, really? Why is she here? Not for gold, I´d judge. What is the price for her? Was she even a real septa?". Then he dismissed his thoughts as he has other fishes to fry. So I guess whoever she is, Tyrion doesn't have time to make enquiries about that at the time.

Agreed! Might be a red herring but GRRM insists on dropping clues about Septa Lemore not being/not having always been a Septa.

Tyrion thinks in ADWD: "Lemore, though... Who is she, really? Why is she here? Not for gold, I´d judge. What is the price for her? Was she even a real septa?". Then he dismissed his thoughts as he has other fishes to fry. So I guess whoever she is, Tyrion doesn't have time to make enquiries about that at the time.

It is ever mentioned of her hair appears to be dyed or not?

Arianne has visited with the SSnakes Tyenne's mother

It doesn't mention when that happened. It could have been ten or fifteen years ago - Lemore could easily have still been in Dorne then. Its never mentioned how long she's been with Aegon for.

I don't like the theory, because I don't understand why Lemore can't just be Lemore, and why yet another dead person should be brought back to live...but anyway.

I'll say this: eye color does change even in adult women.

My eyes are turning green. Honestly.

They've been light blue/grey for all of my life but now, more and more people say 'oh, your eyes are green'...I thought these people were confused, really...but I've got new freckles in them. They’re light brown freckles and more in one eye than in the other, and the light brown going on orange mixed with the blue/grey makes them appear green... I can almost count the freckles now, when two years ago, they were barely noticeable. It's a recent development and I have been adult for some time. The point here: eye pigmentation can change slightly in the course of one’s life.

Does that help to destroy/reinforce some arguments? ;)

It is ever mentioned of her hair appears to be dyed or not?

No, he metions a handsome woman in a white septa robe who is taking a lock of dark brown hair away from her eyes. But there is no mention of a potential hair dye. Although as Young Griff/Aegon dies his own hair, I am sure it's absolutely not impossible Lemore does the same. Especially in her 40s, she should be starting to have grey hair and her hair would maybe appear less "dark brown".

It is true it could also be Tyene's mother, but Tyene's mom is described as having blonde hair and blue eyes. And I don't see why Tyene's mother would dye her hair dark brown as there is no real danger for her to be recognised. And even is she was, nobody would really care I guess.

No, he metions a handsome woman in a white septa robe who is taking a lock of dark brown hair away from her eyes. But there is no mention of a potential hair dye. Although as Young Griff/Aegon dies his own hair, I am sure it's absolutely not impossible Lemore does the same. Especially in her 40s, she should be starting to have grey hair and her hair would maybe appear less "dark brown".

It is true it could also be Tyene's mother, but Tyene's mom is described as having blonde hair and blue eyes. And I don't see why Tyene's mother would dye her hair dark brown as there is no real danger for her to be recognised. And even is she was, nobody would really care I guess.

Oh, I was going to say if it did look dyed then it could be Serra, (F)Aegon's mother, Illyrio's wife and Varys' sister.

But I guess that would be a long shot.

Oh, I was going to say if it did look dyed then it could be Serra, (F)Aegon's mother, Illyrio's wife and Varys' sister.

But I guess that would be a long shot.

I thought of it as well but it would be too inconvenient to have someone who knows Aegon isn't Aegon being around him so often. We know Aegon and JonCon (at least) believe he *is* Aegon Targaryen and I think having the mom on board would be a risk Varys would not take, but who knows?

here are some quotes about Lemore from Tyrion in ADWD:

On her appearance: so she has dark brown hair flowing about shoulder-lenght, with pregnancy marks, she is "more handsome than petty" (which seems to mean she is still better looking than just a "handsome woman"), golden skin under the sun.

a septa in a soft white robe stepped through the cabin door and pushed a lock o dark brown hair from her eyes. (...) Septa Lemore had emerged in her white robes, cinched at the waist with a woven belt of seven colors. Her hair flowed loose about her shoulders (...) though Lemore was not as innocent as she appeared. She had stetch marks on her belly that could only have come from childbirth (...) her smooth skin glowing golden in the the morning light. She was past forty, more handsome than pretty, but still easy on the eye.

Tyrion's reaction to her: he knows Lemore has secrets but he doesn't feel like investigating, he is too busy looking at her ;)

Like everyone else aboard the Shy Maid, she had her secrets. She was welcome to them. I do not want to know her, I only want to fuck her. She knew it too. As she hung her septa's crystal about her neck, to nestle in the cleft between her breasts, she teased him with a smile.

Then there is Tyrion questionning who she is again when she changes clothes and doesn't wear her septa robe anymore but richer garments. He also realises Aegon must mean something to her:

Lemore had changed out of her septa's robes into garb more befitting the wife or daughter of a prosperous merchant. Tyrion watched her closely...Who is she, really? Why is she here? Not for gold, I'd judge. What is this prince to her? Was she ever a true septa?

And Lemore mentions he is the rightful heir of Westeros, I'd take that's what she believes? Hence she couldn't be the mom of a random boy named "Aegon" or she would know he is no rightful heir. However, if she was Serra, maybe she'd still believe her son to be the rightful heir. Anyway, Lemore seems to think Aegon is da real deal:

[ Lemore] how much will Cersei Lannister pay for the rightful heir to the Iron Throne?

Here is what I could gather for this discussion, there is a far more complete description done by Claireducky that i've found on the internet :) but I am just quoting the relevant physical appearance/Tyrion's doubts passages, just in case it can be useful to this interesting thread.

What if she is just...Lemore?

Many people have suggested that in the thread. As we said: might be she is... But looking at the textual evidence, it seems she is not "just a septa". So whoever she is (even if it's not a known character), there is more to her.

What if she is just...Lemore?

I'd be fine with her just being Lemore, but GRRM does seem to want us to speculate. The above passages illustrate that, as well as the fact that Jon Con thinks of her as Lady Lemore. Is anyone aware of a House Lemore? No? Well then it does invite speculation that she is more than she seems. Couple that with the fact that there are at least two other supposedly dead people in her companynow alive and well and it's not much of a reach to think there is a mystery. Also, when she changes out of her septa robes she says to Aegon "you aren't the only one that must needs hide". Why does she need to hide if she's just a septa?

Pair this with the fact that Ashara Dayne is mentioned quite a bit for a lady who is supposedly dead and gone, and it's easy to see why many connect the two.

Since Tyrion is suspicious of her identity from the start, I think he would make it his business to study her face and I fail to see how he wouldn't notice her eyes if they were as striking as Ashara's.

Because, as mentioned repeatedly, eyes that are striking when made up for a party at age 20ish, are not necessarily as striking 20 years later when made down.

And a feature that is 'famous' is not necessarily that noticable once the 'fame' is taken out of the picture.

I can't put my finger on it, but her behaviour also just doesn't mesh with (admittedly my own idea of) the woman who managed to hold Eddard, Brandon and Barriston Selmy in thrall.

You are joking, right?

Lemore certainly seem to have a natural hold on men...

Not to mention that there is literally no evidence of Ashara having any hold on Ned (actually not even any attraction is evidenced!), and less than zero hold on Brandon (given that even if he fathered her baby, she certainly failed to have a 'hold' on him in any way!)

I don't think she necessarily has a special identity other than the fact that she is the mother of fAegon and not really a septa.

Jon Connington, and Lemore herself, disagree with you.

This is one time I think Ser Barristan isn't an unreliable narrator. He loved, or still loves, Ashara, so he'd remember her face well and the most attractive part of her face, her violet eyes. He also danced with her at Harrenhal, as I think he was the "white sword" who danced with her.

I initially thought this as well, but I was convinced otherwise by better arguments. Its far more likely to be Arthur that she danced with - of the seven White Knights, he's actually a white sword, and closer to the age group of the others mentioned, and her brother.

Note how Hightower is still a Bull, Whent still a Bat etc.

Actually Ashara didn't supposedly die until some time after The Sack, and Aegon's supposed switch. Jon was born within one month of The Sack, and Ned didn't get to Starfall until after he'd lifted the Siege of Storm's End, and went to the Tower of Joy; and pulled it down and buried the dead. So Ashara's death happened over a month after The Sack.

Also if Aegon was really switched then by that time he'd be with Illyrio, with Varys, and JonConn would have been with the Golden Company.

It still takes time to get baby Aegon to Essos, and he's best travelling with a woman who could pass as his mother. A baby alone is suspicious, not to mention difficult.

fAegon could easily have been sent to Starfall (or kept hidden, probably close by) while Varys confirmed Ashara would be willing to take him into hiding.

The timing works fairly well actually.

If Ashara was in on it as well, then she'd have to know first of all. And I doubt Aerys let Varys leave KL in such a chaotic time.

No, she wouldn't (of we are speaking about Aegon being real or not).

If she gets a message from Varys that he has saved 'Aegon' from the sack and he has arranged for her to take Aegon secretly into exile in Essos. She'd have no reason to disbelieve that, and no way of knowing whether the child she received was Aegon or the Pisswater Prince.

And yeah it's just pure speculation that Ashara is alive. If she is then I like the Howland + Ashara theory best.

What, like the speculation she's dead?

We've been told she died of suicide, by leaping from a tower into the sea, but no body was ever found. Those who told us weren't present. They have only what they were told.

Compare that to the execution of Davos. Where we have people who witnessed 'his remains', if not his execution. And still got it wrong.

Tyene Sand's mother. I thought that was obvious.

Yes, obviously problematic. Wrong hair colour (with no solid reason to dye it), not a noble, not someone important enough for their identity to matter.

Not to mention see below...

It doesn't mention when that happened. It could have been ten or fifteen years ago - Lemore could easily have still been in Dorne then. Its never mentioned how long she's been with Aegon for.

It can't have been more than about 10 years ago, since Tyene is in her early 20s now and was a young woman (13ish +?) at the time.

And its probable (though not confirmed) that Lemore has been with fAegon longer than that - someone need to be with the child (baby), and JonCon needs a reason to trust her and think of her as a lady - which most likely means she came to him with fAegon, not after.

Simply put, Tyene's mother makes no sense at all. It has nothing going for it other than her being a septa, and too many issues.

I'd be fine with her just being Lemore, but GRRM does seem to want us to speculate. The above passages illustrate that, as well as the fact that Jon Con thinks of her as Lady Lemore. Is anyone aware of a House Lemore? No? Well then it does invite speculation that she is more than she seems. Couple that with the fact that there are at least two other supposedly dead people in her companynow alive and well and it's not much of a reach to think there is a mystery. Also, when she changes out of her septa robes she says to Aegon "you aren't the only one that must needs hide". Why does she need to hide if she's just a septa?

Pair this with the fact that Ashara Dayne is mentioned quite a bit for a lady who is supposedly dead and gone, and it's easy to see why many connect the two.

This.

Plus all the other things which match up between the two:

Hair colour.

Pregnancy.

Age.

(Nobility).

Dornish skin colour.

Prior connection to JonCon.

Prior connection to Aegon's parents.

(Need to hide identity).

Suicide in the sea vs daily swim.

Septa pose vs the RL analogous culture typical career path for dishonoured young noblewoman.

Story utility going forward (past revealed, Barristan connection).

Cultural power as a witness revealing the 'truth' of Aegon's story.

Attractiveness.

Natural 'hold' on men.

I think she is Wylla.

Wylla is Wylla. The Dayne boy Arya met when she was the brotherhood knew her and there's no reason to believe she went into hiding. Plus, I don't think she had the education to teach Aegon.

I actually have this theory that Septa Lemore/Ashara is Aegon's mother and his father is none other than Brandon Stark.

Archived