Reading Joe Abercrombie's The First Law for the first time. (Spoilers for Books 1-3)

Ded As Ned

If you're looking for a map, the first canon iteration of the larger world appeared in the online comic here: http://www.firstlawcomic.com/page/50/ and the accompanying description here: http://www.firstlawc...canon/#comments. Hopefully the portion of the story in that frame isn't spoiler territory for you. Let's just say it's Glokta's meeting with a higher-up in his organization.

To paraphrase the blog entry: left is north, right is south, top is east, bottom is west. The center island is Midderland, the southern area is Gurkhul (actually one continent with an inland sea), Styria is in the east, the North is in the north, and Starikland is in the west. The Old Empire would be farther west (and thus beyond the bottom of the map as it is oriented in the comic).

EDIT: As for the series itself, it was the one that got me into fantasy. I found it thoroughly refreshing, even if the early writing style is amateur. I was hooked instantly. It does a tremendous job of playing with fantasy tropes.

Actually I came across the thread pointing to that a few weeks ago, but just read that scene in the book earlier this evening. It's not exactly the level of detail I'd hope for, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Logen has made it to the First Magi and the Northmen prince just showed up... Logen is growing on me in addition to Glokta. I really liked the farewell scene between Logen and the pot. My favorite line of the book so far "...The pot did not reply."

Most people, before Abercrombie was (over?)hyped, were not that enthused by The Blade Itself, a lot seem to have begun to love the series for its final book and its ending. So don't set your expectations too high at first, it's a sure recipe for disappointment.

Also, it helps to be knowledgeable about Fantasy, as one of Abercrombie's kinks is to play on usual Fantasy cliches (hell one day he said one of the first stories he wanted to submit was about a chosen boy, given some artifact by a Gandalf-like magician, but the boy promptly got incinerated by the dragon, and then the magician would whip out a notepad, cross a name off the list, and teleport to the next "chosen". Meanwhile, story would follow the random squire who was near the "chosen" at the time, something like that)

Hell, when Scott Lynch posts around here (been a long time) his avatar is Locke from FFVI.
Locke, the awesome treasure hunter gentleman bastard thief! In my mind, Locke Lamora looks like Locke from FFVI (who is my favorite character in the game), it's nice to know that it wasn't just my imagination.
Before his depression and internet disappearance, he even said FFVI Locke was his inspiration for the main character (was it in the gentleman bastard cocktail contest thread?)

I am a quarter of the way done with the third book. I love it. No map is annoying but i believe you can find a cannon map online that has since been made. I love the way certain characters interact with each other. At certain times it can get downright hilarious. Also Bayz and Glokta are a couple of old school gangsters :cool4:

Also, it helps to be knowledgeable about Fantasy, as one of Abercrombie's kinks is to play on usual Fantasy cliches (hell one day he said one of the first stories he wanted to submit was about a chosen boy, given some artifact by a Gandalf-like magician, but the boy promptly got incinerated by the dragon, and then the magician would whip out a notepad, cross a name off the list, and teleport to the next "chosen". Meanwhile, story would follow the random squire who was near the "chosen" at the time, something like that)

I hope he writes that story someday, it would be a lot of fun!

(Spoilers for the First Law trilogy! If, for some reason, you quote this post, you'll see the spoilers anyway, so don't do that if you haven't finished reading)

even though he has already played the "not-that-special chosen boy" card

Before his depression and internet disappearance, he even said FFVI Locke was his inspiration for the main character (was it in the gentleman bastard cocktail contest thread?)

That is great. Now I like Locke Lamora even more :lol:

Oh man am I glad I am not the only one who kept seeing FF characters. Glokta in my mind keeps showing up as Kefka. Complete with silly cackle. :)

No, Ladisla is Kefka! :P Just look at his clothing I can imagine him shouting "Capital! Excellent! You're my man!" The cackle is somehow out of place, but still.

I love how the prose is average in general, and then Joe whips out a gem of a line or phrase that is just stellar. My most recent favorite was "If the phrase 'good day' could stab you in the face, the (Chief Counselor?) of the merchant's guild would be dead on the floor."

That's from memory so I probably butchered it, but in the moment I thought it was a fantastic line.

No, Ladisla is Kefka! :P Just look at his clothing I can imagine him shouting "Capital! Excellent! You're my man!" The cackle is somehow out of place, but still.

See. that's the thing - it's 100% the cackle. And Glokta is a born cackler. His character cackles in his sleep. His memoir is just one drawn-out, 320-page cackle. His epitaph will read "He came, he was crippled, he cackled." If he ever has a deli sandwich named after him, it'll be The Cackler Club with crackers.

He's Kefka. :)

Read The Blade Itself (loved it) a couple of weeks ago, and about to finish Before They are Hanged. As much as I liked the first one, it gets even better, and can't wait for the rest!

Thought I would drop in here and mention that I'll be starting a Tor.com reread of THE BLADE ITSELF a week from tomorrow (Aug 7). It should be a lot of fun. I plan to tease Lord Grim Dark mercilessly for every typo. #NotReally #Maybe

Cool I'll check it out. I already follow the SoIaF and WoK re-reads over there... what's one more?

See. that's the thing - it's 100% the cackle. And Glokta is a born cackler. His character cackles in his sleep. His memoir is just one drawn-out, 320-page cackle. His epitaph will read "He came, he was crippled, he cackled." If he ever has a deli sandwich named after him, it'll be The Cackler Club with crackers.

He's Kefka. :)

:rofl: :rofl: where is that Like button when I need it?!

Now every time I hear Kefka's cackle I'll think of Glokta, and every time I think of Glokta I'll hear Kefka's cackle! But he still reminds me of Ladisla in

. :P

Archived