Reading Joe Abercrombie's The First Law for the first time. (Spoilers for Books 1-3)

Ded As Ned

I just started this for the first time too - I'll go back and read the posts after I get a few chapters in!

I recommended it to my boyfriend even though I hadn't read it myself, because I thought I had a pretty good sense of what it was about from the board, and he bought the series so now I have to read it.

Definitely don't do that, DAN. Tor rereads by their nature include heavy spoilers. I would avoid it until you've finished the trilogy at least, and possibly the standalones (depending on how much spoiling there is). Jdiddy can confirm I am sure.

i'm going to be doing spoilers out the ass. HOWEVER, I'm going to try to limit the spoilers from chapters to chapters, so if you're READING ALONG, there won't be many if any spoilers. I will be pointing out things you should PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO like foreshadowing and/or key bits of info though that I pick-up this time through after having read EVERYTHING ABERCROMBIE HAS EVER WRITTEN.

Well there ya go. I should probably clarify the title with something like "no spoilers for me" or some such, because I have no problem posting spoilers up to where I am in the book. Hmm. Sorry if I've spoiled it for those coming behind me. I guess I assumed I was the last person on the board to read the book, and apparently I am not. Oh well.

Too much vodka. Coherentt thoughts to follow tomorrow

i'm going to be doing spoilers out the ass. HOWEVER, I'm going to try to limit the spoilers from chapters to chapters, so if you're READING ALONG, there won't be many if any spoilers. I will be pointing out things you should PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO like foreshadowing and/or key bits of info though that I pick-up this time through after having read EVERYTHING ABERCROMBIE HAS EVER WRITTEN.

Well that's how a re-read should be done if you ask me... I mean it's impossible to not post spoilers up and through what you are reviewing for the re-read right? You just have to avoid shit like "this is important because in the next book x kicks y's ass and sets the whole world aflame" and similar things. Stick to the story up through what you are covering in the re-read and you should be golden. I plan to stay ahead of you though, thus my initial interest. But I've noticed the guys doing the Way of Kings re-read throw a lot of spoilery stuff that doesn't happen until way later out there, as if all of their readers have read the book already.

That's all fine and dandy, but put a disclaimer or something at the beginning of each post.

I dunno if this makes any sense. Retiring for the evening.

Eta: To add the word "if" to a sentence to make it make sense.

Say one thing about Joe Abercrombie, he's entertaining.

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the series. I personally would stay away from the Tor reread unless you've finished the series, just because the chance of being spoiled is just so good when you mess with something like that. I remember that when I wrote a review of The Heroes, I didn't even include any of the characters names, so that people who haven't read First Law aren't spoiled as to who survives the trilogy. But then, some people do not particularly mind minor spoilers.

About 100 pages in and finding it very enjoyable. It's entertaining and the last few books I've read have been short on entertainment.

Yes, definitely entertaining. I love the dark humor, and this book is really dark. You'd think that Logen might hesitate for a moment before stabbing a 14yr old in the throat, but no, not even a second thought.

Yes, definitely entertaining. I love the dark humor, and this book is really dark. You'd think that Logen might hesitate for a moment before stabbing a 14yr old in the throat, but no, not even a second thought.

That would have been the point in any other book where the annoying secondary character joins the party!

I also have a soft spot for books that go by very quickly.

That would have been the point in any other book where the annoying secondary character joins the party!

Exactly. During that scene I thought, how come I've never heard about this character in any of the reviews or discussi...oh...ok nevermind.

Methinks a reread may be in order for me... as I have no recollection of this! :lol:

Methinks a reread may be in order for me... as I have no recollection of this! :lol:

It was just a 1-2 sentence incident. But one where you realize that reading cliché fantasy has given you expectations.

I had exactly the same thought. Something like "ah the youth is going to join up with Logen and begin his real train... Ouch. Nope. No he's not."

It was just a 1-2 sentence incident. But one where you realize that reading cliché fantasy has given you expectations.

Just so. Also when Logen finally makes it to the GNL and the grand olde wizard-looking-guy turns out to be the head servant. Then the real First of the Magi is the bald butcher wearing a daisy chain. Loved it.

ETA:

Abercrombie does a great job of keeping me on my toes and I don't know what to expect. Like you get a page of Logen thinking about all the companions and soldiers he's left to die on the march becasue they can't go any further.

So just when I'm ready for him to leave the apprentice to die, he up and carries him on his back the last 40 miles in the rain.

"The King of the Northmen"

(Very minor, for those reading behind me...)

"Don't tempt me Ninefingers, you broken cur! Your day's long past! I could crush you like an egg!"

"You can try it, but I've no mind to let you. You know my work. One more step and I'll set to work on you, you fucking swollen pig."

Fuck Yes! :whip:

OK, so I'm roughly 60% or so through the book (Bayaz and Logen just got settled in the capitol). The plot has slowed down somewhat, but I'm still enjoying Joe's writing style immensely. The scene

where the rest of Logen's crew is ambushing the flatheads, the whole "what's the signal" debacle, and "Fucking Flatheads!!!"

had me laughing harder than any scene I can remember in some years.

Jezel is growing on me, I'm curious to see what Glokta goes next, just met Ferro(?)..

I particularly loved how

Bayaz bought them all fancy trope costumes for their entrance to reclaim his seat on the open counsel

I also appreciate how ingrained some tropes are into my psyche, and how Joe points that out. For example, I keep picturing Bayaz as looking like thisin my mind, and have to remind myself it's more like this, or this.

ETA to correct repeated phrases. Don't drink and post, kids.

So if I follow along chapter by chapter I won't be spoiled as to future events?

I'll do my best. There might be some minor stuff here and there, but I'm going to try to keep it tight in that regard. I may call your attention to stuff hinting that all is not as it appears, but that's it.

If there is a MAJOR spoiler, I'll tag it appropriately. But really going to try to avoid that.

Archived