Tyrion Lannister sexist?

Four-Eyed Crow

I'd say that his interactions with Sansa in SOS present that he is the least sexist that it is possible to be within his society. He never forced himself on his wife, and he could have. He offered Sansa the ability to reject him and accepted it afterwards, even though it hurt his feelings and helped reaffirm everything Tywin had put into his mind.

If he was truly sexist, as we think of it today, he would have taken Sansa's maidenhead instead of allowing the entire population of the Red Keep talk shit about him for months and months.

Tyrion is depressed throughout Dance, but he's a goodhearted person. His sexual relationships are pretty fucked up but thats because of things that Tywin and others have done to him since he was a toddler.

Tyrion is sexist, he is always shagging whores.

Jon Snow is sexist, he is the leader of an organization that only allows men to join. He would make a great member of Augusta National!

Jaime Lannister is sexist, the way he casually refers to Brienne as an "ugly wench" is just too natural, he must have sexist thoughts.

Ned Stark was sexist, he thought his daughter Arya would want to become an old-fashioned lady, what an idiot.

Rhaegar Targaryen was sexist, he thought the way to woo a woman was through a song and flowers. Ugh so typical.

I'd say that his interactions with Sansa in SOS present that he is the least sexist that it is possible to be within his society. He never forced himself on his wife, and he could have. He offered Sansa the ability to reject him and accepted it afterwards, even though it hurt his feelings and helped reaffirm everything Tywin had put into his mind.

If he was truly sexist, as we think of it today, he would have taken Sansa's maidenhead instead of allowing the entire population of the Red Keep talk shit about him for months and months.

Yeah, only no.

Poor Tyrion, people might have sniggered at him. How valiant of him not to rape his 13 year old wife! He deserves a hero's medal.

Or, we can also think "What would Ned Stark or Jon Snow had done?" and see that in the novels, it is not accepted behaviour to do what Tyrion does. Jon was in an similar position (except Val wasn't underage and didn't hate his entire family) but he rejected Stannis' offer of Val and Winterfell.

Tyrion also focuses only on himself and his suffering regarding the Tysha incident, up until he hears that Tysha wasn't in fact a whore at all! Then he gets really upset and smacks Jaime.

Being horny, being violent during sex and hate for some members of a sex do not have to be consequences of being sexist.

For more details check my post on the first page.

What about slapping Shae, strangling Shae, raping prostitutes in Essos? Threatening to rape his own sister?

Yeah, only no.

Poor Tyrion, people might have sniggered at him. How valiant of him not to rape his 13 year old wife! He deserves a hero's medal.

Don't you think it shows that Tyrion doesn't view Sansa as an object? He genuinely wishes to gain Sansa's affection? IS this something a sexist would harbor? Just asking.

Or, we can also think "What would Ned Stark or Jon Snow had done?" and see that in the novels, it is not accepted behaviour to do what Tyrion does. Jon was in an similar position (except Val wasn't underage and didn't hate his entire family) but he rejected Stannis' offer of Val and Winterfell.

WWJD? You know, I never see people mentioning this quote:

“You will marry Sansa Stark, Tyrion. And soon.”

-- Tywin

I'm sure you'll want to refer me to the Rereading Tyrion Thread, and I assure you I have read the relevant posts quite awhile ago. Sure, hypothetically Tyrion could have given Tywin the bird, but considering who Tyrion is that would be quite uncharacteristic. Also, Tywin's order to Tyrion is to wed and then bed Sansa. Don't you think by not consummating the marriage, Tyrion has done enough to stand up to Tywin.

Tyrion also focuses only on himself and his suffering regarding the Tysha incident, up until he hears that Tysha wasn't in fact a whore at all! Then he gets really upset and smacks Jaime.

Well, all Tyrion knew until the end of ASoS was that Tysha was a whore. How much blame can we lay at his feet for something he had no ways of knowing? IIRC, Tyrion does ponder quite a lot about Tysha in ADwD once he found out what truly happened.

Yeah, only no.

What about slapping Shae, strangling Shae, raping prostitutes in Essos? Threatening to rape his own sister?

Like, the sister who will give lordship to the person who delivers her Tyrion's head and the Shae who betrayed him and went to bed with his father?

Besides, only because Ned Stark and Jon Snow have icicles where others have testicles, doesn't mean that's the Westerosi standard. Ned Stark and Jon Snow are great exceptions when it comes to their attitude towards women and sex compared to the rest of Westeros and Essos. So all we can do is proclaim Ned and Jon The Blessed and prosecute the rest of ASOIAF for being a sexist and a rapist.

I never agreed with people who say Sansa owes a pity blow job to Tyrion for not making her sleep with him, but Sansa is very lucky that Tyrion is intelligent enough to respect her young age. They were legally married and Sansa had flowered and thus it would be every right of Tyrion's by Westerosi standards to want his wife to live marital life with him. He should not get a medal for not get any medal for not making Sansa sleep with him, but about 90% of the characters would have done so. Tyrion knew this, Sansa knew this, everybody knew this. So what Tyrion did was exceptional and should be regarded as a positive deed in comparison with Westerosi standards.

That's it. Feel free to murder me. :blushing:

Jon Snow is sexist, he is the leader of an organization that only allows men to join. He would make a great member of Augusta National!

How is that sexist? The reason that women are not allowed to join the Night's Watch is to make keeping the vow of celibacy easier by not having the temptation to break that vow. Plus, Jon did give a castle over to the spearwives of the Wildings to help defend the Wall. How is that sexist?

ETA: On a second read through I can see that you were clearly joking, right?

Well, all Tyrion knew until the end of ASoS was that Tysha was a whore. How much blame can we lay at his feet for something he had no ways of knowing? IIRC, Tyrion does ponder quite a lot about Tysha in ADwD once he found out what truly happened.

Even if she was a prostitute Tyrion should be smart enough that Tywin was having her gang raped.

Archived