Why I believe Aegon is Genuine (and why it won't matter in the GoT)i

Neilos

Also three dragons mean three riders, and since maester Aemon is dead, BR is too busy hugging a weirwood.

That means Danny, Jon (maybe, I hope), ... Aegon perhaps.

Even if Aegon is not a Targ (which I believe), he could still ride a dragon. And if he is a Blackfyre (which I believe) then he still has Targ blood in his veins, and that makes him not that different from the real Aegon...other than the last name.

so while getting the targs off the throne hes plotting to get the targ heir back on the throne? what would tywins motivation be?

What do you think Robert's reaction would have been if he had found out Aegon survived?

No doubt in my mind Robert would have blamed Tywin for allowing Aegon to escape (Tywin had been hand of the mad king).

I'm thinking something which involves pikes and heads.

So to answer your question selfpreservation and not to forget the preservation of his family.

And walls, don't forget walls.

Also, couldn't agree more to the OP.

Another purpose of Aegon would be to finally bring stability into the KL-Iron Throne - part of the story, since it is currently being torn apart by the various scheming actors (Tyrells, the Sept, the Lannisters, Dorne), all of which could possibly be united by Aegon. This would leave more place to the other important and imo currently far more interesting storylines (The Wall and beyond, the North-Stannis, FM-Maesters-Arya-Sam, Ironborn, Daenerys).

I know that a lot of people think that Jon Connington believes that Aegon is real because of his love for Rhaegar or because he wants to redeem himself to him, but I don't agree with that at all.

Connington is an experienced warrior, and he comes across as a realist, and someone who's quite cynical. When he was told that Aegon had survived, there's no way he would have believed it straight away, he would have had the same doubts that we do. He wouldn't have gone along with it unless he was absolutely certain that it was the real Aegon.

I still think that the evidence that Aegon is fake is completely circumstantial. Yes, it would make sense if he was a Blackfyre, but it would also make sense if he wasn't. I'm completely undecided at the moment.

What do you think Robert's reaction would have been if he had found out Aegon survived?

No doubt in my mind Robert would have blamed Tywin for allowing Aegon to escape (Tywin had been hand of the mad king).

So to answer your question selfpreservation and not to forget the preservation of his family.

ok I get you now, you mean as a reaction to aegon escaping and not being part of the plot to help him escape then get him on the throne as I thought you where suggesting

I am also of the opinion that whether Aegon is real or fake doesn't have any importance for the GOT. But I think it is just because there is technically no one to assert Aegon is not Rhaegar's son. he looks like him, he is of the right age and the people around him believe he is the real deal. End of the story, Varys said that Aegon has been trained to be a King for an early age, being told he was Aegon Targaryen, and this alone gives him the legitimacy he needs.

I do not think, however, that the purpose of Aegon in this story is to make Dany realise it's not your name/position in a family that gives you the best claim. I think he is a symbol in the story, the symbol of the skilled King people will love. He is the embodyment of Varys's "peace for the Realm".

Now, I am quite sure that if Daenerys thinks he is the actual Aegon, she will step down to allow the legitimate heir to reign on Westeros. And she would gladly be his queen too I assume.

The tragedy I agree could happen though is if Daenerys believes the prophecy of the "cloth dragon/mummer's dragon" and interprets it as meaning Aegon is not Rhaegar's son and goes on to get the throne for herself. If she does that though, I hope it means Aegon is real and that Targ will end up fighting Targ, with the result being Aegon is killed by one of Dany's dragons. That would make for a pretty bittersweet ending.

But I don't know why a lot of peeps seem to think Dany will attack Aegon or be disappointed by his presence. I think she is going to be happy she found a kin, that she isn't the last of the dragons. Plus Dany believes she is barren, thus she knows very well she won't have heirs to succeed to her. Technically, it would be better for her Targ family if Aegon sits the IT, marry Arianne, or another pretty high born lady, and carries on the Targ line with her while Dany is his sister-wife. And also, as far as we know, Aegon seems to be a fair person and he wants to ally with his aunt Daenerys. A priori there are no reasons for Aegon and Daenerys to be at each other's throats. The only wild card is if Dany believes Quaithe's prophecies (and we actually don't know whether Quaithe is a reliable source, she got a lot of things right, but it might be she is manipulating Daenerys by telling her events that are actually going to happen and mixing in some wrong information) and decides Aegon is some usurper.

I also hope Aegon wheter real or fake, takes the throne, this assuming Varys didn't lie about his upbringing (his being Aegon)

First off Varys has stated that Aegon doesn' take the throne because it is his right but because it's his duty.

Aegon knows the struggles of the common people, he's lived them for many years as stated by Varys.

Danny doesn't seem to be able to recognise that the sins of the father don't have to become the sins of the son.

She has clearly stated that the Usurper's lapdogs (Starks Baratheon Tully Arryn and Lannisters won't be forgiven, this means stripped of lands and titles)

With this in mind she can conquer the IT, but unless she strips everybody (except for the Martells) of lands and titles she can never hold the IT.

The North wants to be ruled by the Starks, The Riverlands by Tully's etc.

GRRM has already shown us how important all the ruling families are for the lords under them.

For instance the entire North marched against the IT to save their lord Eddard Stark despite possibly facing all off the seven kingdoms.

We know that Rhaegar had already interpreted the prophecy wrong. He thought he was the prince that was promised, but he died on the Trident and his body was burned as per Targ funerary practice. In that same vision you quoted above, Rhaegar also said there must be one more, suggesting he thought this prophecy included Aegon and two siblings. Aegon's eldest sibling, Rhaenys, is dead, so that's another way that Rhaegar got it wrong. It doesn't really make much sense to think that Rhaegar got his interpretation correct when it's already known how many times he already got it wrong.

Slight misinterpretation of my point-- I know Rhaegar misinterpreted the prophecy, and I don't believe for a second that Aegon is The Prince That Was Promised.

My point was that I find it hard to believe that the only mention of the series' title would be in reference to someone killed as a toddler. It seems more logical to me that Dany (who witnessed the vision of Rhaegar's proclamation) would claim the mantle for herself, once she recognises the value of experience over birthright. That would at least give the name-drop significance and context.

How boring and cliche would it be if Aegon is the real deal?

Not too cliche if that "real deal" status avails him nothing, I'd have thought? Seems to me that would break expectation.

Slight misinterpretation of my point-- I know Rhaegar misinterpreted the prophecy, and I don't believe for a second that Aegon is The Prince That Was Promised.

My point was that I find it hard to believe that the only mention of the series' title would be in reference to someone killed as a toddler. It seems more logical to me that Dany (who witnessed the vision of Rhaegar's proclamation) would claim the mantle for herself, once she recognises the value of experience over birthright. That would at least give the name-drop significance and context.

But it's Rhaegar who makes the reference. Yes, the author is giving the readers an idea of what the title of the series might refer to, but he's still making this reference come from Rhaegar who is known to interpret prophecies incorrectly.

In the end I don't think if Aegon is real or not would matter in the GoT. He believes he's the son of Rhaegar and Elia, and will continue to believe so. Him being fake but believing he's real will make Dany realise how meaningless birthright is.

In the end I don't think of Aegon is real or not would matter in the GoT. He believes he's the son of Rhaegar and Elia, and will continue to believe so. Him being fake but believing he's real will make Dany realise how meaningless birthright is.

This :)

It just hit me that ther's another Valyrian family in Westeros besides Blackfyre and the Targaryens... The Velaryons

It could be possible that Aegon is one of them, didn't Aurane Waters the Velaryon bastard remind Cersei of Rhaegar except for his eyes?

Aurane's eyes were a more darker purple than those of Rhaegar, didn't JonCon say about the same thing of Aegon?

Archived