Rethinking Romance: Love Stories of ASOIAF

Lala

wow, you're absolutely right. great parallel! especially that the wildlings are similarly considered to be barbaric as the Dothraki. And Jon, just like Daenerys finds their values and soul. Great parallel, never came to my mind. :bowdown:

Profoundly and eloquently stated, RB.

I'm no fan of the Jon/Daenerys ship, but I'm starting to reconsider a few things (okay, many things). I've really enjoyed analyzing A Song of Ice and Fire through the lens of romance because it's forced me to reconsider how I originally interpreted the text, which, of course, is the purpose of this thread. I'll expound later in a concluding essay, but I just want to let all of our contributors/participants to date know how much they have positively influenced me with their essays and comments. I'm really happy with what has come from this so far. It's provided me with such a broader understanding of this incredible tale GRRM has spun and drawn us into. :cheers:

ETA: I want to make clear that I didn't interpret RB's comment at a Jon/Dany ship, but her comment did make me consider the possibility and the potential validity. I was just riffing off of that.

It took me such a long time to read this entire thread but I finally did it and I am wowed by all the amazing posts from the contributors. Great job guys. This thread really allowed me to realize how much actual romance George has written and that he does it so well, we barely even notice it. :)

I've really enjoyed the Arya-Gendry, Rhaegar-Lyanna bits, and of course Dany-Drogo as well. I can't wait for more to be posted! Now that I am caught up I can read and perhaps even comment a bit.

When reading the books, I thought that Weasel (the girl they saved) might be an important character in herself and that she might come back in the future books, but after reading through the forums later, I found the popular opinion that she was used to better portray Arya and was written almost as an extention of her, the child part of her that she was trying to fight in everything she had to make through.

And in this chapter, when Arya is struggling the hardest to save her all alone, Gendry comes back and puts her on his shoulders. And when Arya decides to go and deal with Jaqen, he gets the girl out.

I thought it might mean that after Arya decided to go and join the other Faceless Men, Gendry will be the one to help her find her old self again... :dunno:

I just noted how Gendry carries her on his shoulders for Arya an how she yells: "You do it! You take her out!", not simply "Do it! Take her out!, but "You do it!", as in "You and me. There is you and me". And when she can't quite make it, he does it for her.

I loved this idea from A Free Shadow. I think the Arya/Gendry essay was my favorite on here, because the amount of material that went right over my head through my reads! Definitely agree on the symbolism of the little girl Weasel, great writing from GRRM at its finest there.

I love the imagery of Gendry carrying Arya or Weasel (Arya's symbolic lost-child) over his shoulders. I know I certainly remember my father doing that to me and of course, my significant other as well. It's kind of like saying, "I'm bigger than you, I will protect you, and I will carry you to give you a respite." I also see this with San/San and Arya when she travels with Sandor. I also immediately raised my eyebrows by Arya saying "you," as in, specifically Gendry. I know that I have done that as well with my own significant other -- I cannot do this, you must do it for me, as you must be the natural extension of my self. That may be just an indicator of a great friendship, but methinks it is also a true indicator of romance, love, the joining of two people's agendas and thoughts.

Can't wait to read more from this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Part 6: Defender of the Waif

It’s been awhile since my last essay. Some serious busies at work and the same goes for the holiday season. I've been in and out of the site sporadically with no time to do much else. So Part 5 was a ways back and new ships have been covered. I did say "Hey Stupid" would be next but that looks like it is coming later.

Well, here goes…this is a short one, but it is a shorter chapter and Gendry does not do much, but that doesn't mean that some interesting observations can't be made.

So I am reading the first Arya chapter in Clash of Kings… Yup, all the misery, fear, and unknown described in the first few pages. And then more paragraphs of how Hot Pie and Lommy were picking on her.

But the only bright light of positive note was the Bull.

Things had gotten worse for Arya. How the name calling continues from Winterfell, Yoren cutting her hair, her transformation from daughter of Ned Stark to “the boy” or “ no one.” How she initially thought Yoren would kill her, the death of her father, and how she was being taken from the city because if she was found, her life was in danger. And the beginnings of the identity crisis that befalls her, but is out of necessity.

So really, we get a glimpse from just a few paragraphs in the chapter how much life really sucks for her right about now. And in her current place she still has Hot Pie and Lommy bothering her as if things weren’t bad enough.

We get a description of the questionable people Yoren has picked up for the Watch and the menace of traveling with such folk, with Arya, being the only young girl on the road unbeknownst to anyone but Yoren and Arya. However, I am not sure Gendry knew yet, but I suspect he knew a bit earlier than his reveal to Arya.

So things are bad, she has suffered so much loss, and now they want to take Needle away from her. Needle, associated with Jon, her brother’s love, and her identity, her old life, and being a Stark. Needless to say, no pun intended, it is the last straw and a big buildup of sympathy for the character.

And then out of nowhere….

"Leave him be.” said the Bull. This is the nickname coined by Lommy. Gendry was riding behind and I assume had been listening in and possibly taking in the treatment of Arya way before this scene with disapproval. He wanted to keep to himself and only decided to step in now that it seemed it was confrontational. I like that it would be easier to use physical presence first, but Gendry would rather warn verbally first. His father, King Robert, would have probably been physical first. But he may resemble him greatly physically, but he is not Robert. Good.

We understand from Lommy that he is intimidated because the Bull is big and strong for his age. Stupidly, Lommy and Hot Pie continue to bother Arya.

And if the negativity was not yet complete, Arya is riding a donkey. Not even a horse, an ass…

The best past is that it stops there. We don’t know how far Gendry would have gone to protect her besides words. (We find out later he will continue to try to protect her in situations.) Arya then defends herself and proceeds to kick Hot Pie’s ass and Lommy doesn’t even try. He backs down.

But Hot Pie attempts to get a rock, and there is no question of whose side Gendry is on and also that he is brave enough to not follow the other males nor side with Hot Pie and Lommy when he warns Arya outright, “Behind you.” The concealed damsel in distress is good with a sword (Aunt Lyanna would be proud) and defends her self and then some as Hot Pie literally craps his pants in hurt, shock, and fear.

The crowd can only stare in bewilderment and Yoren pulls her to the side basically to bark at her to not make waves and to not blow her cover and the underlying “Don’t take it upon yourself, tell the teacher” speech….”

Also, he tries to teach her a lesson, old school, about how it feels. I am not sure he wished to do this to Arya. He can’t blow her cover that she is a boy too, a recruit for the Watch, and I still feel he had to make an example of her to keep the others in line and to show for the future, that they will be disciplined for breaking rules and there will be consequences. When I first read this chapter, I was pissed at Yoren for doing this to Arya after all that happened to her, and because she clearly hadn’t started it. But then I tried to look at it from his pov. What you have to do to keep order, keep a big lie in place, and how leadership is hard, but sometimes, you have to do things you don’t want to do.

We see Yoren backtrack and perhaps feel bad when he asks if she is hurt and then grumbles that Hot Pie was far worse off. But then he tries to impart a sort of lesson about not losing your cool or letting anger get the best of you.

So he offers her a lollipop to show he feels bad. No wait, some sourleaf.

And she walks the hard road ahead the rest of the way. The hard way. She can’t ride an ass because her ass hurts from Yoren hitting her.

The Bull rides next to her walking figure and tries to make conversation.

“Every time you look at him, he twitches.” I can only imagine some respect and awe and to give her some props. But Arya doesn’t answer him. She thought it best not too. I love her because she didn’t go there. She could have bragged in answer, “Yeah, see what I did to him, won’t be bothering me again.” But she doesn’t. She is wise to know he might try to retaliate at a later date, or knows he won’t and learned her lesson. She beat him publicly. Why kick a horse that is clearly down again? She already went there. Time to move on. She is a good person. It is not in her nature to gloat.

Arya and Gendry see the comet. She sees it as Ice. He sees a “red sword” fresh from a forge. Foreshadowing. Maybe. There are a lot of theories out there.

I love that she thinks of her family as she attempts to sleep that night. Specifically, her last thoughts are of Jon. Jon, who in a way, it was through his love, his gifting of Needle to her, that saved her that day. She was able to protect herself from Hot Pie with the Needle Jon gave her.

It is not the only time Jon’s gift to her keeps on giving and gets her out of sticky situations.

It’s my only hope of her leaving the Faceless Men. I jumped up and fist-pumped when she would not dump Needle for good. She had to bury it. Which told me her identity is always waiting for her when she is ready to uncover it and that she never could submit to the FM 100%.

Another good sign out of many, and, also, the first indication that the seeds of friendship and camaraderie started for her and the Bull. More on that later….

It took me such a long time to read this entire thread but I finally did it and I am wowed by all the amazing posts from the contributors. Great job guys. This thread really allowed me to realize how much actual romance George has written and that he does it so well, we barely even notice it. :)

I've really enjoyed the Arya-Gendry, Rhaegar-Lyanna bits, and of course Dany-Drogo as well. I can't wait for more to be posted! Now that I am caught up I can read and perhaps even comment a bit.

I loved this idea from A Free Shadow. I think the Arya/Gendry essay was my favorite on here, because the amount of material that went right over my head through my reads! Definitely agree on the symbolism of the little girl Weasel, great writing from GRRM at its finest there.

I love the imagery of Gendry carrying Arya or Weasel (Arya's symbolic lost-child) over his shoulders. I know I certainly remember my father doing that to me and of course, my significant other as well. It's kind of like saying, "I'm bigger than you, I will protect you, and I will carry you to give you a respite." I also see this with San/San and Arya when she travels with Sandor. I also immediately raised my eyebrows by Arya saying "you," as in, specifically Gendry. I know that I have done that as well with my own significant other -- I cannot do this, you must do it for me, as you must be the natural extension of my self. That may be just an indicator of a great friendship, but methinks it is also a true indicator of romance, love, the joining of two people's agendas and thoughts.

Can't wait to read more from this thread.

A very belated welcome, My Fair Lady! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread so much! While it's been slow lately, there is more to come. We hope to hear more from you. :)

<snip>

The Bull rides next to her walking figure and tries to make conversation.

Every time you look at him, he twitches. I can only imagine some respect and awe and to give her some props. But Arya doesnt answer him. She thought it best not too. I love her because she didnt go there. She could have bragged in answer, Yeah, see what I did to him, wont be bothering me again. But she doesnt. She is wise to know he might try to retaliate at a later date, or knows he wont and learned her lesson. She beat him publicly. Why kick a horse that is clearly down again? She already went there. Time to move on. She is a good person. It is not in her nature to gloat.

Arya and Gendry see the comet. She sees it as Ice. He sees a red sword fresh from a forge. Foreshadowing. Maybe. There are a lot of theories out there.

I love that she thinks of her family as she attempts to sleep that night. Specifically, her last thoughts are of Jon. Jon, who in a way, it was through his love, his gifting of Needle to her, that saved her that day. She was able to protect herself from Hot Pie with the Needle Jon gave her.

It is not the only time Jons gift to her keeps on giving and gets her out of sticky situations.

Its my only hope of her leaving the Faceless Men. I jumped up and fist-pumped when she would not dump Needle for good. She had to bury it. Which told me her identity is always waiting for her when she is ready to uncover it and that she never could submit to the FM 100%.

Another good sign out of many, and, also, the first indication that the seeds of friendship and camaraderie started for her and the Bull. More on that later.

Awesome! I certainly wasn't expecting another Arya/Gendry essay from you so soon, Booknerd2, so this is a pleasant surprise and a great way to kick off the New Year, especially considering you helped us kick off this thread with your series of humorous, insightful, and entertaining essays. I'm going to reread this chapter tonight, however, I did want to mention that I also think that Arya's inability to get rid of Needle indicates that she will never truly become "no one" and the bond forged between Arya and Gendry is too strong for their story to come to an end. They're kindred spirits.

Thanks again. I look forward to "Hey Stupid"! Renly/Loras will also be coming up soon.

Part 6: Defender of the Waif

<snip>

I reread Arya's first chapter in ACoK last night and a couple of things really stood out to me that I didn't notice before. First, how Gendry is introduced in the chapter:

"Leave him be," said the boy with the shaggy black hair who rode behind them. Lommy had named him the Bull, on account of this horned helm he had that he polished all the time but never wore. Lommy didn't dare mock the Bull. He was older, and big for his age, with a board chest and strong-looking arms.

The emphasis on "him" implies, at least to me, that Gendry is going to play a significant role in Arya's life. And, of course, up to where the series has ended, he has, but the emphasis leads me to believe that there is a strong possibility of a burgeoning romance. Him. It means something.

I also can't help but compare Gendry to Sandor when reading this passage. Arya noting that Lommy wouldn't dare mock the Bull is similar to when she thinks that no one would ever mess with the Hound when she tries to sell Craven and finds herself getting ripped off:

She would never have cheated the Hound, she thought during the long walk back to the docks.

Other similarities between Gendry and Sandor also really stand out. This was addressed in your earlier essays, but this chapter really got me thinking about the parallels more:

• While Gendry is handsome and Sandor most certainly is not, both are older than their respective potential love interests, both are dark, strong, tall, broad-chested, and heavily muscled, and both are low born (kind of interesting that Arya is considered unattractive--or at least considers herself unattractive--and Sansa is a conventional beauty).

Both defend their potential love interest (and Sandor also defends and protects Arya).

Both have animal monikers and animal-shaped helms (or, as you wittily put it in your first essay: "Wolf girls and their animal avatar men...").

And people quickly realize that one does not mess with these men.

The differences are apparent too--whereas Sandor and Sansa are polar opposites and challenge each others world views, Arya and Gendry are two peas in a pod and make a great team from the get go.

Gendry smelling Arya after she gets a bath and is dressed in the acorn dress has been discussed, but I just noticed in Arya's second chapter in ACoK that Arya smells Gendry after he bathes :

"It's me they want," Arya whispered back. His ear smelled of soap. "You be quiet."

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but characters noticing the scent of others is quite significant in this series (especially in regards to Sansa).

I like where this is going...

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no see.

Just wanted to post a short "great work". Lots of fantastic essays. Especially loved RhaneysBalerion's Dany/Drogo one as I think it uncovered a lot things I have not seen at all before and really nailed down the themes.

Daenerys vs Sansa/Arya is an interesting comparison as well since they are all learning to navigate the world from an "I am only a young girl" starting point, but they certainly aren't there now. I think through the examination of the romantic motifs in their character arcs, the parallels are coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to professional and personal issues, I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on this thread or the forum in general. However, I'm still committed to seeing this through (I'm also encouraged by Lyanna's Stark's kind words and the hard work our contributors put into their own essays). I'll be traveling this week and next, so I won't be able to post the next romance until at least the end of next week, but don't hold me to it. Thanks for your patience and I hope the hiatus has given some newcomers the chance to read all of the essays and the comments.

I didn't see these, sorry... We have more romances to come. Jaime and Brienne scene by scene is super long (they span four books!) so we were going to put that one on the next thread.

Daenerys vs Sansa/Arya is an interesting comparison as well since they are all learning to navigate the world from an "I am only a young girl" starting point, but they certainly aren't there now. I think through the examination of the romantic motifs in their character arcs, the parallels are coming out.

The sexuality parallels are especially interesting, some Dany/Sansa parallels were posted upthread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/93822-rethinking-romance-love-stories-of-asoiaf/?p=5167837

And there is a "Look at me" passage in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (GRRM is a big fan of Tolkien). There's talk of winter passing, and no longer desiring to be a queen that is interesting, too.

'Look at me, Éowyn!'

And Éowyn looked at Faramir long and steadily; and Faramir said: 'Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Éowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady beautiful, I deem, beyond even the words of the elven-tongue to tell. And I love you. Once I pitied your sorrow. But now, were you sorrowless, without fear or any lack, were you the blissful Queen of Gondor, still I would love you. Éowyn, do you not love me?'

Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her...

And again she looked at Faramir. 'No longer do I desire to be a queen,' she said.

Then Faramir laughed merrily. 'That is well,' he said; 'for I am not a king.'...

And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing.

And more Arya/Gendry...

"Leave him be. said the Bull. This is the nickname coined by Lommy. Gendry was riding behind and I assume had been listening in and possibly taking in the treatment of Arya way before this scene with disapproval.

The Bull/the Hound, interesting. And there's this:

But as Gregor lifted his sword for the killing blow, a rasping voice warned, Leave him be, and a steel-clad hand wrenched him away from the boy.

But Hot Pie attempts to get a rock, and there is no question of whose side Gendry is on and also that he is brave enough to not follow the other males nor side with Hot Pie and Lommy when he warns Arya outright, Behind you. The concealed damsel in distress is good with a sword (Aunt Lyanna would be proud) and defends her self and then some as Hot Pie literally craps his pants in hurt, shock, and fear.

Just to let you know, laughing out loud as I'm reading this!

Love the little sister thoughts going back and forth between them. And Needle is almost a character, too! When will they be reunited?

Looking forward to more...

Also wanted to update Rose Papillon's new url, she has more summaries for Jaime and Brienne here:

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/tagged/summaries

Moved the index forward...

On the subject of the bull there is an interesting tidbit.

Arya seems to be a clear parallel to the Greek goddess Artemis and her counterparts Roman Diana and Egyptian Bast. I noticed one of the myths about her later on.

Anyways, Artemis was a virgin goddess who was never conquered by love.

Orion was her companion. There are different accounts on whether or not their relationship was actually romantic or completely platonic which is reminiscent to Arya/Gendry.

There are a lot of traits that Orion has that reminds me of Gendry's father. He was a hunter, vain, boastful, and a rapist.

A direct parallel Gendry can be made though:

Orion was the son of Poseidon and Euryale. Like most of Poseidon's children, Orion was a man of gigantic proportions. He also was quite the hunter, and the constellation that bears his name forms the shape of a great hunter in a defensive pose against Taurus, the bull...Orion was a powerful figure - strong, handsome and possessing great prowess as a hunter.

Since Gendry is Robert's son and they look alike Gendry is also tall, strong, and handsome.

More specifically in one myth:

Finally the Boiotians had their own set of myths associated with the hunter of the constellation. According to their version Orion was born when the three gods Zeus, Poseidon and Hermes urinated on a bull-hide and buried it in the earth to provide King Hyrieus with a son. The boy was named Orion...

Orion was created from a bull hide and we know that Gendry is called the Bull.

Artemis killed him. Arya didn't kill Gendry but:

"She realized her pretense was done. Gendry knew, and she had nothing in her pants to convince him otherwise. She could draw Needle and kill him where he stood, or else trust him. She wasn't certain she'd be able to kill him, even if she tried; he had his own sword, and he was a lot stronger. All that was left was the truth."

Arya did contemplate killing him but didn't because the odds of her getting away with it were low.

One of the reasons given for Orion's death is:

While it is agreed upon that Artemis is the one who killed Orion, the reasons for his death vary. Some say that Orion and Artemis had fallen in love and were even about to marry. Artemis' brother, Apollo, was displeased with this arrangement, since it was inappropriate for a goddess to involve herself with anyone who was not a god.

That he was of too low status for Artemis. Arya wanted to kill Gendry because he realized she was hiding her identity. The status divide is present in their story.

ETA:

I do think that GRRM uses people smelling each other to convey sexual attraction. I also missed that she sniffs him too.

Arya makes a note of how Jaqen smelled and how it lingered in the air. Ginger and cloves.

I don't think there was sexual attraction though or that she has showed any in the series. She's only showed physical attraction both to male and female.

• 1 month later...

A very belated welcome, My Fair Lady! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread so much! While it's been slow lately, there is more to come. We hope to hear more from you. :)

Awesome! I certainly wasn't expecting another Arya/Gendry essay from you so soon, Booknerd2, so this is a pleasant surprise and a great way to kick off the New Year, especially considering you helped us kick off this thread with your series of humorous, insightful, and entertaining essays. I'm going to reread this chapter tonight, however, I did want to mention that I also think that Arya's inability to get rid of Needle indicates that she will never truly become "no one" and the bond forged between Arya and Gendry is too strong for their story to come to an end. They're kindred spirits.

Thanks again. I look forward to "Hey Stupid"! Renly/Loras will also be coming up soon.

Thanks Dog Lover!

I am going to post again today with a new one. I had the busies at work and some bad writing block going on, and if I am not in the right head space or don't have the time to really read everything on the threads (always due to work busies), I'd rather not post crap or respond. Please excuse my ridiculous tardiness. LOL!

I didn't see these, sorry... We have more romances to come. Jaime and Brienne scene by scene is super long (they span four books!) so we were going to put that one on the next thread.

The sexuality parallels are especially interesting, some Dany/Sansa parallels were posted upthread:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/93822-rethinking-romance-love-stories-of-asoiaf/?p=5167837

And there is a "Look at me" passage in the Lord of the Rings trilogy (GRRM is a big fan of Tolkien). There's talk of winter passing, and no longer desiring to be a queen that is interesting, too.

And more Arya/Gendry...

The Bull/the Hound, interesting. And there's this:

Just to let you know, laughing out loud as I'm reading this!

Love the little sister thoughts going back and forth between them. And Needle is almost a character, too! When will they be reunited?

Looking forward to more...

Stories so far - Topic is the writing of romance in these stories:

Arya/Gendry - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6

Jaime/Brienne - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6

Asha/Qarl - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Robb/Jeyne - Part 1, Part 2

Rhaegar/Lyanna - Part 1

Jon/Ygritte - Parts 1-10

Dany/Drogo - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Also wanted to update Rose Papillon's new url, she has more summaries for Jaime and Brienne here:

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/tagged/summaries

Thank you!

And I did not pick up on the parallel "Leave them be's!" until I saw your post. The stuff that pops up from these books and the new findings still amazes me.

I just finished reading through this thread and have to say it's been a great read. I hope to see it continue if possible. Thanks for everyone's hard work.

:cheers:

:bowdown:

I'm not sure what happened to the "Follow this Topic" function (I suppose it was cancelled out when they switched servers--bummer), but I only just saw this post now since I haven't been receiving post notifications. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, LongRider! Even though it's been a while since the last romance, we do plan to keep it going. Following what booknerd2 said...

Thanks Dog Lover!

I am going to post again today with a new one. I had the busies at work and some bad writing block going on, and if I am not in the right head space or don't have the time to really read everything on the threads (always due to work busies), I'd rather not post crap or respond. Please excuse my ridiculous tardiness. LOL!

I also have been bogged down with work and have not been in the right head space. And I should be the one to apologize for tardiness, booknerd2! Renly/Loras is long overdue (I feel so incredibly guilty for taking so long :blushing: ). I have drafts, but, ugh, I'm so displeased with them and also don't want to post crap. I've been feeling rather disconnected from ASoIaF (I've been immersed in Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series), but season 4 and the appearance of Finn Jones (who I think is all sorts of yummy :drool: ) has inspired me to get my head back in this.

Oh man, I cannot wait for another Arya/Gendry essay!

Part 7: The Early Days

Spring is here, and Jesus my job hasn’t killed me yet. Stress, but not death.

Time for more…

There were many nuggets of, “Hey, what a decent guy”. And many in the previous ones, too.

Here are some more:

And damn, I really didn’t realize it when I first typed my opener, but I should not even go there with the chicken comments, because the Hound/Arya/KFC jokes are just too funny this week on the web. God, I love them. You know, the other future brother-in-law. Big wink!

So, no one is going their way; people that are armed, fleeing, taking whatever they can with them. Women, children, elderly, everyone, from all walks of life, but we see what is going on in Westeros is affecting the common folk too. Not like we didn’t know, but it is a sad reminder again.

Arya sees a small mound. A child’s grave, newly fresh and dug. Somebody laid a crystal on it. Costs money most don’t have, and we can assume was laid with love and it is heartbreaking. The money could have been used for extra food or necessities in such terrible times as these, but this was sacrificed for the loved child, to leave a crystal.

Lommy wanted to take it until the Bull told him he’d pretty much better leave the dead alone.

Little did poor Lommy know…

I have nothing to say regarding the Bull. His actions speak loudly.

The constantly coughing Praed dies in his sleep. His valuables are split up. Yoren gives Gendry his sword noting that with such big, strong arms he was apt to learn how to use it. Acorns are thrown on Praed’s newly dug grave so an oak tree may grow. Hmmm…we will see acorns and an oak tree comment later in their chapters. We already looked at this during another Gendry/Arya post. Nothing big, but the brain is whirring just in case….I took note. Seed planted. A knee slapper.

The next scene cracks me up. To not blow her identity, Arya does not go to the bathing area but all the men and boys do. She is later inside an inn with the guys, for Yoren checked his coinage and there was enough for a hot meal. Arya thinks of her father and Sansa sadly and sips her tankard of beer. Like the Boss she is. She thought of Sansa trying a cup of beer her father let the Stark children have occasionally. She recalls Sansa’s face and how she didn’t like it, and that wine was “ever so much finer.” So Sansa, and probably it was more of sweet wine. Arya didn’t mind the beer. Of course she didn’t have the same reaction as Sansa. She thinks it ain’t so bad. And soon enough she’ll be hanging with the Hound who is known to throw back a wineskin or tankard or two, so she is prepped.

I love this chapter. It is tug at the heartstrings time. Arya hears mention of many she is kin to and loves. Lord Tully, Robb, probably thinks of her mom and other brothers, and how things are faring between the Lannister vs. Stark issues, and then a weary, old traveler pipes up, as she is sitting listening to local gossip and hanging with the guys drinking beers:

All the inn scenes in this series are just classic!

“It’s been a bad year for wolves.” Oh, Jesus…he did go there.

Yeah. It has. There is a “wolf” right there that has to hear this.

But he doesn’t mean that. He means the roaming, aggressive packs.

Arya wonders if it can be Nymeria. And, ( me tearing up), that even if they could meet up, Nymeria probably hates her because she doesn’t understand it was only to save her and set her free. You know, because it took several screams, shouts, and rocks for Nymeria to stop following her and get the hint. I hate you, Cersei! Heartwrenching! Can you imagine how I took it in Mad Men when Duck Phillips abandoned the beautiful Irish Setter, Chauncey. Not well. I can’t watch or look on a re-run still. My parent had one years ago: Diana – the Roman goddess/huntress and counterpart to Artemis.

Sorry, I love dogs and pets. I am partial to the direwolves. I have never gotten over Lady and I still hate Cersei for this, among other things. Joffrey too. I lashed out at Robert and Ned as well. I felt Sansa could have done more too when I was super pissed at one point. And then I rationalized it all out, and the bad position she was in and her youth and naivete at that time. I’m sort of over it, but when the grief comes flashflooding over and I think of Lady, it really sucks…

An old woman adds that she heard from her cousin that there are hundreds of them and a she-wolf bitch is the leader. That’s right. Nymeria. You better be scared! She is kicking ass and not even bothering to take names. And so are her minions. Yeah, she is surviving on her own, separated from Arya. It was a relief to know yet not surprising. But somebody is projecting their heartarche and abandonment too. And just like her beloved owner. She is and will survive. She’s rolling with the punches and will come out on top, the best she can considering what happened.

Nymeria is called “hellbitch” and “a bitch from the seventh hell.” Hilarious. That’s right. And I hope the Freys find this out eventually... You know, just what a hellbitch Big Nyms is. I have had, and have dogs, where a dominant female is followed by her siblings or other dogs, or they defer to her. I have had to step in so all is fair. You know, same amount of treats, toys, same treatment, equal hugs and pats. It is never enough for the two female “Queen Bee’s” I’ve had. My poor deceased one and my current girl. One had her two children defer to her at all times. They knew the rules. One today, totally dotes on, but is the boss with her 2 brothers and the other dogs. One look, one raise of ears, and facial expression, or sound, and the rest know to do something or leave her alone. Or to fall into line, tout suite. Always the same breed for 25 years since childhood so I know the breed quite well. They are highly intelligent. It is fascinating, and all with unique personalities. But I digress. It always reminds me of Nymeria and the dynamic with her pack.

“She probably wouldn’t even know me now.” Oh, but she will, give it time….doubt she ever forgot you.

So more gossip about Nymeria ensues. Baby-killer, (that one hurt), how Hellbitch and her pack had humans follow them back to their crib/lair, and crashed it and were chased and the people barely escaped. Nymeria means business. I am skeptical about the baby thing like Arya was. She almost couldn’t hear it and didn’t believe it. She remembered how Nymeria was with her. She felt she knew her wolf and knew she wouldn’t do that from their experiences. It is rough to read.

Arya won’t change the subject and Yoren wisely tries to change the subject and gets her out of there for a bit.

He sends her off outside to check the horses were watered. She thinks throughout this chapter of many she had known. Advice from Syrio flows through her thoughts. She has the run-in with Rorge, Biter, and Jaqen.

So when she takes the wooden sword and the dialogue heats up and she cracks Biter with it, Gendry steps in with the hand on her shoulder.

She whirls around with her sword up and at the ready and asks Gendry, “ What are you doing?”

He raised his hands to protect himself. LOL. He is cautious around her and senses it would be prudent to do so. LOL. He reminds her what Yoren said about them.

She tells him they don’t scare her, and then I think he throws out the very first stupid. He tells her she is stupid because he is surely scared of those three. That “stupid” essay-thingie I keep saying I am going to get around to is coming. I’ll get there soon.

Gendry puts his hand on the hilt of his sword. Almost like he was letting them know he had one too. Rorge laughs. He suggests that he and Arya should get away of them.

She challenges him to a sparring match. He says he doesn’t want to hurt her and he is strong. She tells him she is quick. They are about to carry on and then are distracted.

They get ready. “Promise not to cry if I cut you.”

“I’ll promise if you will.” Oh, snap, Arya, as she gets into waterdance stance.

LOL!

And then the gold cloaks arrive.

Sonofabitch.

“Why are we hiding?”

She notes his ear smells of soap. Cute. Ok. “It’s me they want. You be quiet.”

And then a side note: Hot Pie, my hero! Gush!

Dobber comes out of the bathhouse naked and only carrying bundled clothes that drop in surprise. “Is this a fight?”

“I guess,”said Hot Pie, scrambling on all fours (makes me laugh envisioning this) for a big rock to throw.” Yeah, against the gold cloaks, ok, Hot Pie. Still love you though.

“Arya could not believe what she was seeing. She hated Hot Pie! Why would he risk himself for her?”

Because… he is awesome, and he is good-hearted, like the Bull. And braver, then we thought, which we find out later.

The broken-nosed kid thinks it is hilarious too and tells the “girls” to put away the rocks and sticks. Too funny. Poor Hot Pie, shining moment, crushed. But the author had been building up the trio of Ayra, Gendry, and Hot Pie. There will be sad and poignant moments, but sweet and laugh out loud funny ones too. So it begins.

Then an officer tells her to put her blade away, and uh, the one thing not to do to Arya. He calls her a little girl. Oh, snap. Again.

“I’m not a girl,” she yelled, furious.” I can only imagine the face palm and expression of Yoren at this point after all the work he was trying to do to get her out. “I’m the one you want.” And this is one of her many defining moments, and why I love Arya. She did not want any of the boys in trouble. Even if there were a few that were not so nice to her. She is just the greatest. She didn’t hesitate for a minute. Ned would be so damn proud, I can’t stand it sometimes.

I like to think she damn well impressed Gendry, Hot Pie, Yoren and the others too with her selfless courage and guts.

The officer singles out Gendry and says, “He’s the one we want.” But the funny thing that the author notes is that Gendry had already come forward because he had already moved to stand beside Arya. No need to step it up, the boy had already done so. No hesitation as well. Oh, Jesus, it is just too much. I just love those two. Can’t help it.

Yoren wraps it up, and Hot Pie whoops in a “we showed them” funny ass moment.

Hot Pie goes “Me,” and takes an extra sword Yoren offers, like he is asking for a piece of candy up for grabs.

“Don’t be using it on, Arry.” LOL!

Yoren points out to Gendry just how bad the Queen wants him captured. I do wonder if he surmises something. Yoren, well, he is no fool, as has been proven.

Arya pipes up that it is not him and that he is just a bastard. She just can’t compute it.

Gendry is relieved, but defensive, and probably wondering too what the hell is going on, and how he is on Cersei’s radar.

“Why should she want him?” blurts out Arya.

Gendry goes out of character, which is understandable for a moment here. “You’re nothing but a little gutter rat.” Which I still think he was covering for her possibly or something clicked in his brain for him to come to conclusions later on. I think when Arya blurted out “I’m not a girl,” Gendry might have started looking at her and realizing, hey, maybe not. Not sure, because he would never say it in public to protect her.

Before this he says,” Why would she want you?” It is funny. He is scared, but it is almost like he can’t believe either that he is somehow even, low key that he is, maybe somehow important to even be acknowledged by the Queen of all people. Totally a youthful, very human, considering his circumstances, type of sentiment, and very understandable. He is very touchy and defensive with Arya.

“Well, you’re nothing but a bastard boy.” As is she also defensive. She ponders, and us, the readers, are privy to it, that she considers. “Or maybe he was only pretending to be a bastard boy.” Not quite, Arya, but you are on the right track.

She prods. The perfect question… “What’s your true name?”

And the kicker….

“Gendry,” he said, like he wasn’t quite sure." HOLY COW!

Which makes me wonder how much he chews on this to himself and to what extent. Like much later when Brienne shows up and interrogates him. Has he been putting some stuff together that we are not aware of?

When it is revealed to him, like I think it will somehow and someday, he may be surprised but not nearly as shocked. Seeds planted. Time to water.

Yoren referees once again amongst his kiddies, as the chapter comes to a close.

Part 7: The Early Days

Spring is here, and Jesus my job hasnt killed me yet. Stress, but not death.

Time for more

<snip>

Thanks so much for this, booknerd2! Your essays are always such a delight to read. At the risk of sounding redundant, while the chemistry between Arya and Gendry is undeniable (two peas in a pod, as I mentioned up thread), I found Gendry rather insufferable until you managed to convert me (didn't take long). I have such a better understanding of this character, thanks to you.

She tells him they dont scare her, and then I think he throws out the very first stupid. He tells her she is stupid because he is surely scared of those three.

I can't recall if we discussed this already, but this brings to mind Ned's lesson to Bran about the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid. Gendry admits these three scare him. Now fast forward to Gendry killing Biter. That's serious courage. And, as you continue to illustrate, Gendry doesn't hide from the Gold Cloaks, even though he surely must be frightened. The Ned would approve. :cool4:

Thanks so much for this, booknerd2! Your essays are always such a delight to read. At the risk of sounding redundant, while the chemistry between Arya and Gendry is undeniable (two peas in a pod, as I mentioned up thread), I found Gendry rather insufferable until you managed to convert me (didn't take long). I have such a better understanding of this character, thanks to you.

<quote> She tells him they don’t scare her, and then I think he throws out the very first stupid. He tells her she is stupid because he is surely scared of those three. </quote>*

I can't recall if we discussed this already, but this brings to mind Ned's lesson to Bran about the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid. Gendry admits these three scare him. Now fast forward to Gendry killing Biter. That's serious courage. And, as you continue to illustrate, Gendry doesn't hide from the Gold Cloaks, even though he surely must be frightened. The Ned would approve. :cool4:

*not sure why the quote function isn't working.

Thanks DogLover!

I was brain dead from work, but I want to point out your post a few above. The points you made regarding the comparison and similarities of Gendry and Sandor is excellent. I never looked at all that info put together and it is something!

I still get chills with what you brought up above recently too. How from Day 1 Gendry did not like Biter, obviously, and we know he certainly didn't want his buddy Arya near those guys either. Then it takes up to Book 4 and Gendry kills Biter to save Brienne. Brienne who is out there looking for Arya and has ties to Uncat, Arya's mother, and Gendry is right there with Uncat and the BWB. I don't know how Martin does it. The character connections are awesome. And I think it is very apparent that some characters are just destined to be entwined in certain characters story lines.

And back to Ned. Ned would totally approve. He liked the spunk and pride, hard work ethic, and honesty he saw in Gendry in just one meeting. I still love that he got to meet him, and then Gendry and Arya go on this big road trip, and now Gendry is hanging out with her mother. Mind-blowing!

What a beautiful thread from start to finish! I wish I'd come sooner because I have so many thoughts and feelings about Arya/Gendry and especially Jon/Ygritte - although the respective essayists did stunning jobs illustrating their relationships. So nice to see the romances of ASOIAF interpreted so thoughtfully, and with such respect....there's so much death and misery that I sometimes forget there's beauty too. Thank you, everyone in this thread!

Archived