Can a Jon Snow + Daenerys romance work in the final book?

total1402

I like many have felt this is going to happen ever since I read the House of the Undying prophecy with the blue rose in the wall mentioned in the same trio as Khal Drogo. It also has great ice n fire symbolism as well as potentially uniting both houses Stark n Targaryen; ending a lot of the feuding.

However, I just don' t see how it could work. Currently both of these characters are thousands of miles apart. Martin has declared that the series could only last another 2 books. IMO at least one of those will be Dany going through Mereen, Volantis and the Dothraki sea before ending in a position to invade. It is possible that Jon could through some shenanigans end up going towards Dany, but even then, with so many characters already needing to meet up with Dany during Winds I am doubtful that would happen. He is also still in the north and that seems to be a very seperate arc from what is happening in the south which seems to be building to Danys invasion with Euron, Aegon and the Martells. Resolving this will likely prevent them meeting up even early in ADOS.

So its very likely that they'll only meet well into the final book ADOS. Now, to be fair, Danys two previous romances were extremely to the point and minimalist. Love at first sight. With very little interaction. Suffice to say, that simply can't be done with Dany/Jon. If it happened it would instantly become the central and most important romance of the series ever; of incredible moment to the story and the ending. So, I don't see how Martin could treat that romance the same way as he has others. Even more in depth ones like Ygritte (who got more than one book BTW) just wouldn't cut it. Also, Jon was able to interact because he was a captive and not able to do much else except interact with Ygritte. Its doubtful given growing events that there would be that much time for a sudden romance between two characters who will likely meet up so late in the books.

There is also the added fact that, as I mentioned above, such a romance is hugely important. But doing it in the final novel is a huge risk. Leaving it that late to introduce a pivotal and central relationship is going to be very difficult to not look like fan service. Yes, there is foreshadowing. That is not the same thing as doing something justice which is so important to the series. if their relationship is so pivotal to the series then why is it going to be given only a few chapters in the final novel for them to fall in love and get married?

I don't see how Martin can pull this one off and not be terrible or feel contrived.

Of course it can work. There are plenty of examples of great fictional romances developed in 100 pages or less.

I doubt 1/11th of ADOS is going to be Jon and Dany interacting or thinking of each-other. There are a lot of characters and some big events going to dominate the final novels.

The blue rose usually symbolizes Lyanna throughout the series, so I always assumed the vision was about Jon and her meeting.

But it mentioned in a trio with men she will love. Khal Drogo, corpse smiling sadly on prow of a ship (Vic or Euron BTW) and blue rose in a wall.

I doubt 1/11th of ADOS is going to be Jon and Dany interacting or thinking of each-other. There are a lot of characters and some big events going to dominate the final novels.

100 pages, 50 pages - it doesn't matter, it can be done. Martin has done it himself quite a few times in his short stories.

100 pages, 50 pages - it doesn't matter, it can be done. Martin has done it himself quite a few times in his short stories.

But those are short stories which are meant to be brief and to the point. This is a seven novel long epic fantasy series. You can't have the central main romance arc happen in the final novel over a thirty page snippet as soon as the characters meet. It would just look tacked on and feel forced as the series will already be concluding.

Can you imagine if you were watching a film for three hours and then in the last 15 minutes two of our characters finally meet, fall in love and marry. Thats essentially what it is. A gimmick. Something which hasn't been built up and won't be properly explored. It will purely be relying on fan-service feel good factor rather than making a full fledged arc of it. To me that just feels very cheap to what is going to be the central romance of the series.

It seemed likely at one time, with lots of foreshadowing. But it is so cliched that I doubt GRRM would even try. One or the other could be AAR but I doubt they're getting married. Dany is not a Disney princess! She may live, she may rule, but I doubt that she'll have the saccharine fate of living happily ever after with prince charming. What rot!

Drogo, whichever Greyjoy, and Jon could all reprsent other things. Drogo = her being a khaleesi. Greyjoy = the ships she's needed since book one to get her forces to Westeros. Jon = fighting the Others instead of squabbling for the IT; her HOTU vision in the show strongly hints at this. Keep in mind that the show creators know how the series ends. They radically changed Dany's visions for a reason. Jon and Dany is probably exactly what won't happen. It would be brief and tragic if it does though.

Archived