Bran and Jaime - Do people expect Bran the Saint now, or is he allowed to have hard feelings?

Free Northman

If Bran unrepresses his memories of what happened, I think he will be torn. Yes, they took his legs and any hope of becoming a knight but because of the fall and the following coma, the three eyed crow was able to reach out to him and open his third eye and waken his Greenseer powers. Brans going to weigh the two, I think, and realise that he prefers the path he is on now. I know some will argue that even without the fall that BR was watching Bran from the beginning and would have gone to him eventually, but if Bran didn't fall his father would have taken him to King's Landing when he left Winterfell in GoT, and who knows what would have happened to him. Also, of all the characters we meet, Bran seems like the least vengeful, and the one who would rather make peace than get revenge.

Yes, but you also have to take into account that Jaime wasn't like "being greenseer is better than being knight, sorry, but I have to throw you out", he meant pure harm. More, he meant to kill him, and he would hardly become anything if he succeeded. I am not saying Bran has to be vengeful and hate Jaime, I am just saying that ending up "benefiting" from it is not the reason why he should forgive him.

Bran isn't playing the Game of Thrones - he has his own throne reserved for himself, and he's playing Bloodraven's game now. This is not like comparing checkers and chess - this is like comparing checkers with a full-on RPG version of cyvasse, with the ability to rewind and rewatch past history. If BR is actually skinchanging into a cat in KL, a Raven in Castle Black, and who knows what else, all while tapping into the wierwood history network, then Bran is most definitely constrained by some simple understanding of political power as stated by Cersei.

Bran will eventually face what actually happened to him in Winterfell, and the fact that it was Jaime that pushed him. It remains to be seen what he will consider a just retribution, if any, to pursue against Jaime. If he observes Jaime in a moment of true remorse, swearing to do what his life will allow to protect Brans sisters, he might realize there is more to Jaime than the immediate perception of his past actions. My guess is Bran will be given the opportunity to work with Bloodraven on whatever it is he is going for, but Bran will also have his own decisions about what HE is after. He has thus far been following what he feels was some sort of prophetic vision to follow the three eyed raven, and has done that. Now he will choose his own path, and follow that with the same determination he has always shown.

Speaking only for myself, my opinion would be that anyone who has read his POVs knows that Bran doesn't have a single vengeful bone in his body, just look at his interaction with Osha and Theon, read his thoughts after he escapes with Jojen and Meera, or his attitude towards the Others.

That's not the Children of the Foresrt, that's all Bran in there: what he does, how he thinks, the way he reacts it would be out of character for him to seek vengance or to take someone's life, whether its the man that destroyed his home (Theon), the wildling that held a knife at his throat (Osha) or even the men that tried to kill him (the Lannisters).

If Bran unrepresses his memories of what happened, I think he will be torn. Yes, they took his legs and any hope of becoming a knight but because of the fall and the following coma, the three eyed crow was able to reach out to him and open his third eye and waken his Greenseer powers. Brans going to weigh the two, I think, and realise that he prefers the path he is on now. I know some will argue that even without the fall that BR was watching Bran from the beginning and would have gone to him eventually, but if Bran didn't fall his father would have taken him to King's Landing when he left Winterfell in GoT, and who knows what would have happened to him. Also, of all the characters we meet, Bran seems like the least vengeful, and the one who would rather make peace than get revenge.

Bran is playing in a whole different field right now, being Lord of Winterfell or a Knight in King's Landing can't even begin to compare to what he's about to do.

Every step in his life has led him to this moment, the direwolves, his fall, Osha, Theon, Sam, Coldhands and he's aware of it more than any other character on the book: he wouldn't take the good if he wouldn't take the bad with it.

I have theory about Bran and Jamie ı always imagine bran warg into cold hand or other and sent him to find Jamie and Uncat one thing let another Jamie show brienne as his chap. cold hand kill brienne and result of trial old gods find Jamie guilty and then cold hand kill Jamie or Jamie cold hand fight directly and Jamie head find the place it deserve.

I'm not quite sure these characters will ever see each other again. If I were Bran, I'd be pretty pissed off at the guy who left me crippled and unable to become a knight. However, if Bran uses his green seeing abilities to view Jaime's eventual redemption, I think he'd end up forgiving him.

It's not a question that Bran can see everything, but it would be out of character for Bran to seek revenge on Jaime when he doesn't seek revenge on Theon, Ramsay or Osha.

For one, he actually remembers what Ramsay did to the Miller's boys, Theon to Winterfell and Osha to him, which tells me that Bran just wouldn't use his powers the way Lady Stoneheart does.

Ultimately hero? I don't think so. Bran would sacrifice Jaime to have his legs back if he could do.

Yeah, I agree with the idea that he is not a player of the game of thrones, he is ruling from outside the relm, from beyond the edge of the relms of men... he is not a player but a game keeper, a master. A master must be fair be Bran is child and can make choices... if you were Bran would what you would choose: be Lord Stark or The Winged Wolf that nobody remembers but knows about everything?

I tend to believe that the “vengeance” of the old gods has already taken care of Jaime for pushing Bran from the window and for violating the laws of hospitality while a guest in the home of Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, especially since Martin allocates that the old gods are the forces that punish the violations against the host by the guests. Before Bran loses his grip, Jaime orders him to “Take my hand!” Ironically, that is just what the powers behind the old gods do – they take from Jaime that which he cherishes the most, his sword hand, the very hand he uses to send Bran through the air. The punishment suits the crime: Bran loses the legs that allow him to climb, now he needs to learn how to fly. Likewise, Jaime needs to learn how to fight with his sword using the opposite hand.

Now that Bran is part of the godhood, he will be responsible for punishing future disrespect of the guest right. Furthermore, Martin establishes in AGoT that the old gods send the wind that whispers through the leaves of the heart tree in order to give it a voice.

My theory is that the Stark siblings, through their blood of the First Men, will have some control, singly or collectively, over the “elements”. I will not bore anyone with all the details, but two examples are that Arya is aligned with the water motif, along with Howland Reed and the Drowned God, so the forces will likely need to join powers to defeat the Others and their minions, especially since “water” quenches “fire”, an element that may be controlled, in part, by Jon Snow IF he is a Targ. But sometimes fires can sizzle destructively so “ice” may cool the flames through Jon or even Rickon, who Martin describes as “wild as a winter storm”.

I tend to believe that the “vengeance” of the old gods has already taken care of Jaime for pushing Bran from the window and for violating the laws of hospitality while a guest in the home of Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell, especially since Martin allocates that the old gods are the forces that punish the violations against the host by the guests. Before Bran loses his grip, Jaime orders him to “Take my hand!” Ironically, that is just what the powers behind the old gods do – they take from Jaime that which he cherishes the most, his sword hand, the very hand he uses to send Bran through the air. The punishment suits the crime: Bran loses the legs that allow him to climb, now he needs to learn how to fly. Likewise, Jaime needs to learn how to fight with his sword using the opposite hand.

Now that Bran is part of the godhood, he will be responsible for punishing future disrespect of the guest right. Furthermore, Martin establishes in AGoT that the old gods send the wind that whispers through the leaves of the heart tree in order to give it a voice.

My theory is that the Stark siblings, through their blood of the First Men, will have some control, singly or collectively, over the “elements”. I will not bore anyone with all the details, but two examples are that Arya is aligned with the water motif, along with Howland Reed and the Drowned God, so the forces will likely need to join powers to defeat the Others and their minions, especially since “water” quenches “fire”, an element that may be controlled, in part, by Jon Snow IF he is a Targ. But sometimes fires can sizzle destructively so “ice” may cool the flames through Jon or even Rickon, who Martin describes as “wild as a winter storm”.

I agree with the first part.

Well, Bran can be a bit stubborn at times, but he usually has a pleasant nature. Thus, it's a bit difficult to imagine Bran actually enacting some sort of vengeance, but I suppose a lot is possible in these books.

But I do recall a bit in one of Bran's early dreams where BR tells him not to delve into the memory of his fall because he didn't need it right then. I don't know if that means he'll get some resolution later on, however.

I don't think Bran will realize what Jaime did right away, or try to seek vengeance on him even in TWoW. MAYBE in a ADoS, but Jaime's storyline in TWoW pretty much has two likely options, since he's heading to LS:

1. Jaime manages to convince LS that he has redeemed himself, and LS sends him somewhere to prove that, likely to find Sansa,

2. Jaime is killed by LS (Not directly, of course)

There are other options, of course, but to me these seem the most likely. My point is that Jaime' storyline will be too cluttered if Bran tries to get vengeance on him. And, as for that itself, I think Bran won't try anyway, as his storyline is very likely to become very relevant to the "main" one of the Others, and he won't have time to go after Jaime or even care quite frankly. BR could even pull some bull saying he made Jaime do that so that he could find a way to get to Bran, or that the Old Gods willed it, because he knows Bran has to focus on the task at hand, and knows that that would distract him.

Bran and Jaime have some very significant unfinished business with one another. I'm interested in how this will play out.

I get the sense that many people by default seem to assume that Bran's "enlightenment" will lead him to become some Yoda-like Buddha figure, who transcends normal human desires like vengeance, justice for past wrongs, bitterness at enemies of his House etc.

At the same time, ironically, others are quick to declare that the Children are leading Bran down a dark path, and that he might turn into evil Bran now.

Personally, I find neither of the two extremes to be appealing, or supported by the text.

I think Bran is ultimately a hero on the side of good, but at the same time, I don't see a prerequisite for his powers to be associated with dispassionate enlightenment and a setting aside of his human feelings. In short, I expect Bran to become VERY powerful, but at the same time this by no means stops him from holding grudges, like the grudge against the guy that crippled him for life.

:agree:

So, once Bran is an allpowerful greenseer, is he going to start subjecting Jaime Lannister to some of the laws of nature? Remember, the Children have no problem with blood sacrifice and other seemingly cruel practices. Their gods are the Old Gods of the First Men, who hold vengeance and retribution sacred.

I expect to see Bran get some of his own back against Jaime, while still using Jaime to the advantage of his overall cause.

What's the opinion of the board?

Have you by chance read the Russian early draft of Brienne's final chapter in Feast? There are tons of ravens in it, watching what is going on. Not much of a stretch to guess BR and Bran know what is going on. So, I do think Jaime has some sort of role to play and if needed, Bran will use him. Crackpot, maybe it plays in to the Valonqar prophecy?

Either way, Bran has seen what lays in the lands of always winter so next to Jon, he very well has the strongest understanding of what is to come. I don't think he would let the desire for revenge against Jaime get in the way. That's not to say Bran would not use him if it turned out to be convenient. Who knows, maybe he will help Jaime find Sansa in the Vale. :dunno:

Given Jaime's state of mind now compared to then when his sex romp with Cercei was cut short, I think Ser Jaime will feel endebted to him and will be his to "command" or to ask anything of. These two will meet again. I am certain of it.

A Bran and Jaime meeting again is one of those things I hope happens. Let Jaime see first hand what his impulsiveness has wrought.

Some posters believe he is now a "reformed" good guy, but I disagree. He always had some measure of morality and belief in doing the right thing, but at the end of the day, "Jaime don't give a fuck." His impulsiveness is his overwhelming personality trait. Right now, "Jaime the Just" is just another impulsive phase in his life in response to losing his hand, his faith in Cersei, his father, and the new responsibility of being Lord Commander. I haven't see him ever take responsibility for the wrongs he's done, starting with Bran's defenestration. Sooner or later, doing "good" will hurt him. Probably sooner, since it appears his trust in Brienne is going to backfire. What he does then will be the truer measure of his "reformation."

Then let him see Bran, and see how badly he's hurt others and realize he owes Bran a debt the can never repay except through painful Karma.

Bran is dealing with bigger issues than payback, that's why Bloodraven told him to let go of those memories because he has a much bigger job to do. I just can't see Bran saying "screw mankind I'm gonna go get payback on some dude who's life is already gone to hell on it's own".

I don't think Bran will realize what Jaime did right away, or try to seek vengeance on him even in TWoW. MAYBE in a ADoS, but Jaime's storyline in TWoW pretty much has two likely options, since he's heading to LS:

1. Jaime manages to convince LS that he has redeemed himself, and LS sends him somewhere to prove that, likely to find Sansa,

2. Jaime is killed by LS (Not directly, of course)

There are other options, of course, but to me these seem the most likely. My point is that Jaime' storyline will be too cluttered if Bran tries to get vengeance on him. And, as for that itself, I think Bran won't try anyway, as his storyline is very likely to become very relevant to the "main" one of the Others, and he won't have time to go after Jaime or even care quite frankly. BR could even pull some bull saying he made Jaime do that so that he could find a way to get to Bran, or that the Old Gods willed it, because he knows Bran has to focus on the task at hand, and knows that that would distract him.

Bran can set the the path to Jaime find his mother, if what we've seen is true.

Though not being able to walk was obviously a big thing for him in the past, I think Bran has come to accept his lot in life, even embrace his powers, and without the Jaime incident, Bran wouldn't have been able to do anything he can do now.

I'm not saying these two are ever going to become drinking buddies or anything like that, but if by some twist of fate they show up in each others storylines again, I don't think it'll be Jaime being pecked away at by a flock of ravens.

Archived