Did Davos actually drown after the Battle of the Blackwater?

Lost Melnibonean

Very true and I have no idea. Others have tried to make sense of it...

Maybe Melisandre used some sorcery to save Davos and obtain his finger bones as he was drowning? His finger bones were not mentioned in his Battle of Blackwater chapter, were they? Perhaps Melisandre already had them and used them to ssve Davos?

Maybe Melisandre used some sorcery to save Davos and obtain his finger bones as he was drowning? His finger bones were not mentioned in his Battle of Blackwater chapter, were they? Perhaps Melisandre already had them and used them to ssve Davos?

Right before the horns go "Ahoooooo...":

Davos closed his stubby hand around the pouch that held his fingerbones, and mouthed a silent prayer for luck.

ACoK 58 Davos III

Of course he is not looking inside it; still, I believe he still has them here. And when the battle is on:

Davos lifted his maimed hand to clutch at the leather pouch that held his fingerbones.

Right before the horns go "Ahoooooo...":

ACoK 58 Davos III

Of course he is not looking inside it; still, I believe he still has them here. And when the battle is on:
So he had them on the Blackwater. Thanks! I wonder if Melisandre somehow saved him from drowning and obtained his finger bones at that time?

It's think it's possible that Davos drowned and was resurrected. There's a lot of stuff to do with destiny and the gods in ASOIAF. Doesn't Mel say something to Davos along the lines of "the red god isn't done with you yet"? Well maybe the drowned god isn't done with him either.

So he had them on the Blackwater. Thanks! I wonder if Melisandre somehow saved him from drowning and obtained his finger bones at that time?

Yes, I am wondering that, too.

Then drowning and revival "what is dead may never die but rises again, harder and stronger" is actually the domain of the Ironmen's drowned god. Somehow that fits, but what has Kingslander Davos that would be of interest to that one.

Yes, I am wondering that, too.

Then drowning and revival "what is dead may never die but rises again, harder and stronger" is actually the domain of the Ironmen's drowned god. Somehow that fits, but what has Kingslander Davos that would be of interest to that one.

No, I don't think the Drowned God has anything to do with this. It's either the Mother, to whom Davos prayed for deliverance or Melisandre. Although there could be some connection to Bloodraven and the Old Gods given his current purpose.

So, I think we can safely assume this is Davos, not a glamoured pretender, because we are privy to his thoughts, which are clearly Davos.

As far as resurrection, we know that Martin believes a character MUST be fundamentally changed on his return, or it is bad writing. Does anyone want to make the change that Davos has fundamentally changed? I personally don't think so, but I'd love to see the case being made.

As far as resurrection, we know that Martin believes a character MUST be fundamentally changed on his return, or it is bad writing. Does anyone want to make the change that Davos has fundamentally changed? I personally don't think so, but I'd love to see the case being made.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of Ironborn drown and I doubt they all change, apart from becoming more holy in the eyes of the drowned god. And Sam, Tyrion and Moqorro all kind of drown (although maybe don't actually die) and don't change.

I'm not sure about that. A lot of Ironborn drown and I doubt they all change, apart from becoming more holy in the eyes of the drowned god. And Sam, Tyrion and Moqorro all kind of drown (although maybe don't actually die) and don't change.

It sounds like the iron born go through CPR in their baptisms. IMO, that's not dead. Sam, Tyrion, and Moqorro are also never said to be dead. I'm specifically pointing out to those that say the Drowned God, Mel, R'hollor, the Mother, or the Old Gods resurrected Davos from death that Martin considers unchanged resurrection to be bad writing.

But somebody saves them before they actually die. There wasn't anybody to save Davos as he struggled at the bottom of the mouth of the Blackwater.

But somebody saves them before they actually die. There wasn't anybody to save Davos as he struggled at the bottom of the mouth of the Blackwater.

Thinking magically: a current carried him up, a wave threw him expertly ontop of that wretched rock in a way that squeezed the water out of his lungs.

Not that I believe it, but it was a thought. Goes along with Gods and such. If there were any.

• 8 months later...

If Davos opened his mouth to scream, that would indicate to me that he was pushing the air out, not that he was taking a breath. You can swallow water and have it come into your mouth without a problem, its only when you actually take a breath that your in trouble. It seems likely to me that he did not take a breath, but simply lost consciousness just before breaking the surface.

I don't think he actually drowned, but I've long been of the opinion that Mel could have sent a shadow baby to save him.

Some may think this sounds ..mmm..crazy, but I don't think it's so far fetched.

Mel seems to have seen that Mathos would die, and may have seen the same for Davos. But she has also seen that Davos is important to Stannis and his cause (and therefore, her cause.)

She appears to need to see what the SB's target looks like and she knows well what Davos looks like.

SB's can have great strength; look at the force of the blow that killed Renly, while Penrose was either pushed, or perhaps thrown bodily from the battlements.

OK, now, who's to say that the only use of a SB is to kill someone ?

Admittedly, it would take much more effort to pluck an unconscious Davos from the water and deposit him on the island, but consider the sudden change in Stannis' appearance after the Blackwater. Davos only notices slight, gradually progressing signs after Renly and Penrose, but Stannis looks much older when Davos next sees him.

I somehow don't feel that this is entirely due to the stress and depression of having lost the battle.

In Mel's chapter, she notes that Stannis' "fires" have been drained to the danger point and that she doesn't dare use him to create more shadows, yet we only know of 2 that have been created previously. At the same time, she tells us that her bed sees little use with him away.. confirming the rumour that he sleeps with her regularly. Therefore, I think it's fair to deduce that the simple act of sex isn't enough to create a SB..she must have to work a spell at the same time, or she would have stopped letting Stannis sleep with her before now.

So what caused his rapid deterioration ? Can she vary the amount of life force/ energy she draws from her partner according to the task she has in mind ? If Davos is so important, it might be worth the price.

I think she really has his "luck" secreted away in her trunk, but has not used it yet. It's possibly insurance, in case Davos should be killed before some great service is rendered, and she needs a stand in.

Here's the quote: "When he pened his mouth to scream, the water came rushing in, tasting of salt, and Davos Seaworth knew that he was drowning." Then poof he wakes up on a spear of the Merling King. Should we be calling him UnDavos?

Later at White Harbor before he gets tossed in the dungeon he thinks the gods spared him to rescue Edric Storm. Was he right?

Then he wondered if the gods have some other task, involving White Harbor, for him. Is it possible Bloodraven is orchestrating this? Are we supposed to believe some divine power is it work? Or did Davos just wash up and live (after he breathed water with no CPR), happened to be found (where few ships ever pass), and is now providing an opportunity for Mandely to seize?

Davos is AAR he was reborn on salt and rock Nd hell rewake the dragon (wildfire) from stone (kings landing) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

There are representatives of every major religion.

Mel, Thoros, Moqorro, Beric and LS are representing The Lord of Light.

We have Bran, Bloodraven, Jojen and the CotF for the Old Gods.

Aeron and perhaps Patchface are for the Drowned God.

We even have three Valyrian Gods; Dany's dragons.(Targaryen Dragons were named after Valyrian Gods)

We have Faceless men for the God of Mant Faces.

Why should the Seven lack a representative?

Dany's dragons are named for:

- Rhaegal - her stillborn son, Rhaego & her dead brother, Rhaegar

- Viserion - her dead brother, Viserys

- Drogon - her dead husband, Drogo

The three dragons that were named after Valyrian gods were Aegon, Rhaenyra & Viserya's dragons Balerion, Meraxes and Vhagar.

So there aren't any "modern" day Valyrian gods accounted for.

I'm not sold on Davos being undead, or AA. But there's plenty of book left for me to be proven right or wrong! He's definitely interesting, undead or not, and I wouldn't take my eyes off him! He's going to do something important, whether it's BIG, like being AA/Lightbringer/what-have-you, or it might be a small act that has larger implications. Either way, he's someone to watch!

• 3 months later...

Here's the quote: "When he pened his mouth to scream, the water came rushing in, tasting of salt, and Davos Seaworth knew that he was drowning." Then poof he wakes up on a spear of the Merling King. Should we be calling him UnDavos?

Later at White Harbor before he gets tossed in the dungeon he thinks the gods spared him to rescue Edric Storm. Was he right? 

Then he wondered if the gods have some other task, involving White Harbor, for him. Is it possible Bloodraven is orchestrating this? Are we supposed to believe some divine power is it work? Or did Davos just wash up and live (after he breathed water with no CPR), happened to be found (where few ships ever pass), and is now providing an opportunity for Mandely to seize?

Mel saved his ass, She deposited him on the spear & stole his finger bones...

Archived