Melisandre and Ghost

Ghost seems to like Melisandre. Any idea what that means? Even Jon was perplexed.

To me that was a clue that the red priestess is a force for good, but I still fail to understand the deeper meaning of Ghost's fondness for her. He even looks at Jon as a stranger once he has met Melisandre.

This and the relationship between Brown Ben and the dragons are two of the things that I think have a deeper meaning, which I cannot see right now.

What I am saying is largely a theory but since you bring up some good questions, I will venture a guess as to both:

1) I think the the Ghost-Melisandre relationship may be foreshadowing that Melisandre will somehow assist or contribute in the "rebirth" of Jon following the assassination attempt. Whether Jon wargs into Ghost and then Melisandre brings him back to his body or whether it is more of a "Toros of Myr"ish type reincarnation, I don't know yet.

2) As far as Brown Ben goes, I have this semi-crackpot theory that not all Targaryens went to Westeros at the doom of Vayria (remember the statement "There are dragons in Asshai") so perhaps he comes partly from one of those cadet branches of House Targaryen hence his relationship with the dragons

As I said this is largely theoretical but hopefully it serves to spark an insightful discussion.

I had issues with Ghost and Mel bonding as well. Mind you, from Jon's PoV, he also considers how Ghost and Val look perfect together. So, I'm going to give Ghost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Mel, as long as I remember that saying: 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer'. Ghost knows what he's doing. :worried:

• 1 year later...

I think it's a sign that Melisandre has a role to play in assisting Bloodraven, Bran and Jon/Ghost, but in the process she's going to have to challenge her own faith and make a huge personal sacrifice (i.e. unglamouring herself). She can already be very understanding of other peoples' perspectives, though. If she wasn't willing to do that, Ghost wouldn't have warmed to her. I can imagine her having to reconcile her red faith with the Old Gods and succeeding.

• 5 months later...

What I am saying is largely a theory but since you bring up some good questions, I will venture a guess as to both:

1) I think the the Ghost-Melisandre relationship may be foreshadowing that Melisandre will somehow assist or contribute in the "rebirth" of Jon following the assassination attempt. Whether Jon wargs into Ghost and then Melisandre brings him back to his body or whether it is more of a "Toros of Myr"ish type reincarnation, I don't know yet.

2) As far as Brown Ben goes, I have this semi-crackpot theory that not all Targaryens went to Westeros at the doom of Vayria (remember the statement "There are dragons in Asshai") so perhaps he comes partly from one of those cadet branches of House Targaryen hence his relationship with the dragons

As I said this is largely theoretical but hopefully it serves to spark an insightful discussion.

interesting thread, interesting answers!

1) not sure about ghost

2) in ADWD tryion suspects that he is a descendent of viserys plumm (plumm' s where bannermen for the lannister) and suspects he has 2 drops of targaryen blood not just one. He says that because viserys dad osifer had got married to elaena targaryen (sister to baelor the blessed) and during the bedding ceremony he supposedly died when he saw her naked but had still gotten her with child. Tryion says 2 drops of Dragon blood because he suspects that the actual dad of viserys plumm was actually aegon the unworthy (a well known rumour).

And this is the reason viseron seems to like him

Ghost is also white with red eyes, like a weirwood, which indicates to me that he has a stronger connection to Bloodraven than the other wolves -- almost an avatar. And if you consider the possibility that Mel is the daughter of Shiera Seastar, who was BR's paramour back in the day, it is possible that BR could be Mel's father.

...and the dance of theories continues....

...pardon me as i sniff around for any leftover LOL treats...

...gods it just occurred to me - LOL Lord of Light - the acronym is internet shorthand for laugh out loud, a sign that the supposed red god is a laughable comic relief character that will be exposed by Ghost/Jon warg just as Bran wargs Mel to ask if BR is her father...

...coincidence or design - you be the judge

:smoking:

I think that Ghost recognizes Melisandre as a "Magic" creature like himself. I do think that it portends that Melisandre will come to realize that she has been sent to help/support/heal Jon, not Stannis. The Direwolves as a group are very intuitive. They didn't like Joffrey, Jon was rescued, as was Bran, etc..

• 3 months later...

That's right at the end of that Jon chapter. I find it interesting the next chapter in the north after her and Ghost getting "warm" is Mel's own POV...she is attempting to read her prophetic visions, notices Bran/BR, and then can only see "Snow". Not to mention the previous Jon is one of the chapters where Mormont's raven is being extra ridiculous with his shouts. My random idea is that Bloodraven needs Mel. He knows how to properly use blood magic and can help her through her dreams/visions.

• 1 month later...

I think Ghost fondness to Mel, because of some kind of potion.

As we know Melisandre use a lot of potion.

In Weese killing, Jaqen H'ghar probably use basilisk venom to Weese's dog.

In Mel and Ghost case, maybe she use some kind of anti-basilisk venom on Ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Ghost recognizes Melisandre as a "Magic" creature like himself.  I do think that it portends that Melisandre will come to realize that she has been sent to help/support/heal Jon, not Stannis.  The Direwolves as a group are very intuitive.  They didn't like Joffrey, Jon was rescued, as was Bran, etc..

But Summer, Gray Wond and Shaggy Dog tries to attack Tyrion on his trip back down to KL when he took Bran the drawings for the saddle....

• 3 months later...

Ghost seems to like Melisandre. Any idea what that means? Even Jon was perplexed.

To me that was a clue that the red priestess is a force for good, but I still fail to understand the deeper meaning of Ghost's fondness for her. He even looks at Jon as a stranger once he has met Melisandre.

This and the relationship between Brown Ben and the dragons are two of the things that I think have a deeper meaning, which I cannot see right now.

I know this is an older posted question, but maybe there is someone out there that still has this question.

Others have mentioned that Mel is most likely the daughter of Bloodraven and Sheara Seastar. Mel sees Bloodraven in her flames and is actually frightened and looks away then starts spontaneously bleeding. Weird, right? 

Mel is trying hard to get Jon's seed to make more shadow babies and Jon is NOT into it or her at all (despite what season 5 may show). So because he is thwarting her, she makes bolder moves. She wants to get to Jon through the "love" of Ghost so she uses her magic on Ghost. Jon hears singing and smells smelly stuff just seconds before Mel gets her way. I cannot find that description but here is the one where Mel uses magic to briefly try and trick Jon:

In the shadow of the Wall, the direwolf brushed up against his fingers. For half a heartbeat the night came alive with a thousand smells, and Jon Snow heard the crackle of the crust breaking on a patch of old snow. Someone was behind him, he realized suddenly. Someone who smelled

I know this is an older posted question, but maybe there is someone out there that still has this question.

Others have mentioned that Mel is most likely the daughter of Bloodraven and Sheara Seastar. Mel sees Bloodraven in her flames and is actually frightened and looks away then starts spontaneously bleeding. Weird, right? 

Mel is trying hard to get Jon's seed to make more shadow babies and Jon is NOT into it or her at all (despite what season 5 may show). So because he is thwarting her, she makes bolder moves. She wants to get to Jon through the "love" of Ghost so she uses her magic on Ghost. Jon hears singing and smells smelly stuff just seconds before Mel gets her way. I cannot find that description but here is the one where Mel uses magic to briefly try and trick Jon:

In the shadow of the Wall, the direwolf brushed up against his fingers. For half a heartbeat the night came alive with a thousand smells, and Jon Snow heard the crackle of the crust breaking on a patch of old snow. Someone was behind him, he realized suddenly. Someone who smelled

I don't think Mel used any magic here. Jon and Ghost are bound and the direwolf brushing up against him may have simply just triggered Jon's innate ability to link with Ghost and smell/hear/see/taste/sense whatever Ghost can smell/hear/see/taste/sense -- one of which is Mel. 

I don't think Mel used any magic here. Jon and Ghost are bound and the direwolf brushing up against him may have simply just triggered Jon's innate ability to link with Ghost and smell/hear/see/taste/sense whatever Ghost can smell/hear/see/taste/sense -- one of which is Mel. 

I can accept that. 

Mad to the original question, why does Ghost seem to like Mel and why is Jon taken aback by that? 

Could Mel be linked to the old gods somehow? Her (possible) connection through Bloodraven now that he is part weir wood? 

I can accept that. 

Mad to the original question, why does Ghost seem to like Mel and why is Jon taken aback by that? 

Could Mel be linked to the old gods somehow? Her (possible) connection through Bloodraven now that he is part weir wood? 

Jon had always been quite mistrustful of Mel. So for Ghost to be so friendly toward Mel, it is quite ordinary for Jon to be surprised as he would have expected Ghost to have a similar mistrust (as they are linked, after all). As for why Ghost seems to like Mel, my tinfoil hat says that it may have to do with Mel having some (future) role in either preventing Jon from dying or resurrecting him if he in fact does die. We are lead to believe that Mel is actually "good" (even if sometimes mislead by what she sees in the flames) so there may be something to be said about that.

• 2 weeks later...

She broke the link between Jon and Ghost for a while.

:agree: This seems most feasible to me, she is more powerful at the wall, Ghost looked back at him as if he was a stranger IIRC.

Maybe once Jon has mastered his Warging a little more it will be harder to interfere with his link...

What about Tyrion? None of the Starks wolves liked him much even Ghost.

Archived