The Greyjoys or the Martells?

Ser Luke.

Find the Greyjoys far more interesting enjoyable to read, Victarian esp.

But am i the only one who would find it incredibly cathartic to have the entire Iron Islands raised and burnt to the point they will never rise again. Overall has to be Martells who I feel are only just coming into their own.

"The North will only know peace when the body of the last Frey covers the body of the last Bolton"

I think I've found my signature. Thanks JQC! Also, which book was this in?

Its not in any of the books IIRC. Its something Martin read from TWoIaF concerning the Targaryen invasion of Westeros. Mariya was the Princess of Dorne at that time, and she said that to Rhaenys Targaryen.

Its not in any of the books IIRC. Its something Martin read from TWoIaF concerning the Targaryen invasion of Westeros. Mariya was the Princess of Dorne at that time, and she said that to Rhaenys Targaryen.

Thanks, I thought I would of remembered it. I checked the wiki, pretty badass coming from an overweight, half-blind, old gal! To Rhaenys Targaryen of all people, after she rode to Sunspear on a dragon!

For me personally House Martell and Dorne as a whole are more interesting than House Greyjoy and the Iron Islands. It's probably because Dorne is a vast territory with many other noble houses and a lot of the history of the Seven Kingdom is connected with Dorne. Of course, the cool characters from Dorne just add to the appeal of the south - Arthur Dayne, Darkstar, Oberyn, The bearded priest Areo Hotah, Sand Snakes. However, beware of Crow's Eye.

Any house with a Balon, is a losing House, so Martells by far.

They actually matter in the overall scheme of things, whereas the Idiotbred merely keep surviving to keep making trouble simply because they ultimately don't matter enough to prioritize.

Balon was too stupid to see that, and so are his supporters, but Asha and her nuncle saw the tide of the seas.

For me personally House Martell and Dorne as a whole are more interesting than House Greyjoy and the Iron Islands. It's probably because Dorne is a vast territory with many other noble houses and a lot of the history of the Seven Kingdom is connected with Dorne. Of course, the cool characters from Dorne just add to the appeal of the south - Arthur Dayne, Darkstar, Oberyn, The bearded priest Areo Hotah, Sand Snakes. However, beware of Crow's Eye.

:agree: House Martell for me too! I don't know why, but I've just never been able to get into the Iron Born. Their culture, the characters, none of it has ever really done it for me. I know lots of people feel the same way about the Martells and Dorne, so I guess its just different strokes for different folks.

The Martells. For one thing they're written with more complexity than the barbarian reavers of the Iron Islands.

They're cultured and intelligent, devious and scheming.

And they have some cool bannermen; the Daynes, the Yronwoods.

And so many of the Greyjoys are just despicable.

I abhor Aeron, loathe Balon, despise Euron, and even Victarion is by no means likeable.

Only Asha is halfways tolerable.

Theon betrayed the Starks and led to the downfall of Winterfell.

Sure, we're made to feel sympathy for him because Ramsay Snow tortured him, but he's still a turncloak.

The only way you could like the Ironborn as a people is if you hate civilization.

The only way you could like them individually is if you think psychopathy is cool.

And they're not that fun to read because all their actions are as subtle as a throwing axe.

Greyjoy, because Asha. If you line up Martell vs Greyjoy you get

Sassy sexpot heiress division = Asha vs. Arianne, that deceptive little cream puff. Easy choice.

Lordly young fuckup = Poor Quentyn vs. Theon. Theon's failure is MUCH more epic.

Paternal illnesses = Doran's gout wins over Balon's crazy, I admit.

Badass Nuncles = Evil Euron / crazy Damphair / thick as a plank Victarion / the Reader whose name I've forgotten vs. just one Red Viper, who is now dead. Clearly Greyjoys.

Cousins = no-show for Greyjoys, a severe surfeit for the Martells. I'll give it to the Martells.

I call it for the Greyjoys.

Interesting question because they are two of my favorite houses. I like the Martells/Dorne because it has deep culture. They empower women and the region is more like the east than the west. The Greyjoys/Iron Isles I like because well I also like pirates. I like the violence and action and they do have a certain honor about them.

Greyjoys by far. The Martells are the most boring at least so far. I used to hate the greyjoys when Balon was in power but since his death I've come to respect how they genuinely don't give a crap about anyone else. They never seek alliances, don't bother with any politics. Just attack anyone they want any time. Awesome.

I like both of them, actually. They both made AFfC interesting to me, I loved reading about Great Houses that have been only mentioned in passing, so to speak. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with Greyjoy, mainly for their culture - they remind me of vikings. Also, as much as I like Doran and Arianne, I prefer reading about Victarion's adventures.

Meanwhile, the Martells aren't doing much of anything. Does anybody really give a damn about Darkstar? :lol:

So which house do you guys prefer? I'm interested to find out.

See Gerold isn't a Martell (as far as we know), but, yes, everybody gives a damn about him.

As to the Greyjoys and Martells, it's tough, but I'd have to go with the Greyjoys as a family. I find Dorne more interesting as a kingdom, though.

The Martells. For one thing they're written with more complexity than the barbarian reavers of the Iron Islands.

They're cultured and intelligent, devious and scheming.

And they have some cool bannermen; the Daynes, the Yronwoods.

And so many of the Greyjoys are just despicable.

I abhor Aeron, loathe Balon, despise Euron, and even Victarion is by no means likeable.

Only Asha is halfways tolerable.

Theon betrayed the Starks and led to the downfall of Winterfell.

Sure, we're made to feel sympathy for him because Ramsay Snow tortured him, but he's still a turncloak.

The only way you could like the Ironborn as a people is if you hate civilization.

The only way you could like them individually is if you think psychopathy is cool.

And they're not that fun to read because all their actions are as subtle as a throwing axe.

This. So much.

Martells are awesome.

Greyjoys by far. The Martells are the most boring at least so far. I used to hate the greyjoys when Balon was in power but since his death I've come to respect how they genuinely don't give a crap about anyone else. They never seek alliances, don't bother with any politics. Just attack anyone they want any time. Awesome.

Yes indeed, having the greatest score of failed rebellions in westeros:P

Archived