A Game of Screentime

StannisEndGame

Kinda depressing how much more screentime Shae has over more worthy characters.

Yeah, Shae and Ygritte got WAYYYYY more screen time than needed. I can't believe Mance Rayder only got 6 minutes and Ygritte got 42 minutes. That's just insane.

Yeah, Shae and Ygritte got WAYYYYY more screen time than needed. I can't believe Mance Rayder only got 6 minutes and Ygritte got 42 minutes. That's just insane.

Mance Rayder is just some boring old dude while Ygritte is hot and spunky! That's why Jon Snow's entire story arc in the show revolves around Ygritte and her wise cracking/loveable antics while all the most important moments of his journey are erased.

Incredible job, and surprising how interesting I found it. Ned getting close to double the screen time of anyone else in season 1, although is a true reflection of how much of a focus he was in the book, is probably more reflective of them needing the star power of Sean Bean to get people on board. Stannis 26th overall surprised me, as did the big drop between seasons 2 and 3 screen time for him, some characters of lesser importance that came in from season 2 onwards like Shae and Ygritte have more time than him (sex appeal to please HBO?). Barristan Selmy and Daario will have big increases for season 4 as they will want to keep Dany on screen even though there won't be too much action in her storyline for the next season.

nice work, i'm really suprised tbh that tyrion is comfortably first for season 3, given that he really had very little to do in this season before the last three episodes. I think the show needs to stop focusing on tyrion so much because he's a popular character and more because he has stuff going on in his storyline, him topping the list in season 2, and if he tops it again in season 4, then thats fair enough because he has more stuff going on at those times. Season 3 should've been jaime or dany at the top, or even jon or robb

Great job StannisEndGame :cheers: !

Yeah I'm surprised, too. Ciaran Hinds was one of the hyped actors who joined the show and he only got 6 minutes?

Great work, my dude. Very thorough.

As far as Hinds' screen time, it's important to keep in mind that he'll probably be around for several seasons, and didn't have all that much to do at this point in A Storm of Swords, anyway. I'd expect to see a fair amount of him over the course of the next two seasons, and maybe beyond.

Mance Rayder is just some boring old dude while Ygritte is hot and spunky! That's why Jon Snow's entire story arc in the show revolves around Ygritte and her wise cracking/loveable antics while all the most important moments of his journey are erased.

Your first love and losing your viriginity are pretty important on life's journey!

Also people don't seem to remember which characters were featured in the books (hint it wasn't mance and stannis)

Mance was featured much more heavily though in the first half of ASOS than in Season 3. No, he wasn't a central character, but he had a lot more "screentime" in the book.

Incredible job, and surprising how interesting I found it. Ned getting close to double the screen time of anyone else in season 1, although is a true reflection of how much of a focus he was in the book, is probably more reflective of them needing the star power of Sean Bean to get people on board. Stannis 26th overall surprised me, as did the big drop between seasons 2 and 3 screen time for him, some characters of lesser importance that came in from season 2 onwards like Shae and Ygritte have more time than him (sex appeal to please HBO?). Barristan Selmy and Daario will have big increases for season 4 as they will want to keep Dany on screen even though there won't be too much action in her storyline for the next season.

I think Stannis amount of screentime in season 3 was warranted though how they choose to spend it on the other hand..

Shae has a lot of screentime basically because Tyrion has a lot. Tyrion did not have all that much screentime untill episode 8 "Second Sons" where he had like 11 minutes only in that episode!

Sansa saw a big increase in screentime too this season

Mance was featured much more heavily though in the first half of ASOS than in Season 3. No, he wasn't a central character, but he had a lot more "screentime" in the book.

Really? If I'm not mistaken he only appears in two chapters in the first half of the book.

I find it interesting how, by this measure, some of the top characters from Season 1 have had pretty dramatic fallings-off in the following seasons. Ned wasn't around anymore, obviously, but Jon Snow had almost a full hour in Season 1, and only about half that in the following two. Dany's screentime likewise fell considerably. Cat's awful decline has already been remarked on.

I'd be interested to see how much Blackwater accounts for the screentime of the King's Landing characters in season 2. Particularly Sansa, who was otherwise pretty minimized that year, but even Tyrion and Cersei got significant boosts compared to seasons 1 and 3.

I find it interesting how, by this measure, some of the top characters from Season 1 have had pretty dramatic fallings-off in the following seasons. Ned wasn't around anymore, obviously, but Jon Snow had almost a full hour in Season 1, and only about half that in the following two. Dany's screentime likewise fell considerably. Cat's awful decline has already been remarked on.

I'd be interested to see how much Blackwater accounts for the screentime of the King's Landing characters in season 2. Particularly Sansa, who was otherwise pretty minimized that year, but even Tyrion and Cersei got significant boosts compared to seasons 1 and 3.

I don't have the episode numbers saved but I believe both Sansa and Cersei each got over 10 minutes that episode. Tyrion had like 7-8 minutes, (though he had like 12 minutes in "The Prince of Winterfell"). Joffrey also got his share aswell, 4+ minutes, as Sandor, 5-6 minutes. Those are the ones I remember for "Blackwater".

Im interested to see how much screentime everybody gets in season 4. Its obvious that the actors/characters at Kings Landing and the Wall will have the biggest stories this season but im not really sure how often the other characters will appear. It doesn't look like they are introducing the Greyjoys this season (which I think is a good decision) so they will probably be adding a lot of content for the others (Dany, Arya etc). I don't even think anybody needs to be pushed to the background as almost every character could be given a decent amount of time in season 4

^ That's one reason I'm surprised that the Greyjoys and MArtells aren't being pushed up. I won't mind spending more time with the people we know, but it does feel like if there was an opportunity to squeeze some of the other storylines in , season 4 was it.

I would prefer it if they gave added more scenes for Arya and Dany (and even Bran) in season 4 instead of introducing even more characters who could be introduced in the following season. Balon still needs to die before Joffrey but they could easily just have Yara/Asha mention his brothers a few times throughout the season and introduce them in the opening episodes of season 5

• 1 month later...

Archived