College Football 2013: The Season Begins, Let the Tears Begin to Fall!

Ded As Ned

To pick up where we left off.

Even though Bilas is a Duke grad... I always think its hilarious when he tweaks the nose of the NCAA.. :lol:

Apparently, yesterday on twitter he was posting out pictures from his searches on shopNCAA.com. On the official NCAA online store, he was searching "Johnny Manziel" and "Teddy Bridgewater" and "Taj Boyd." Each search brought up the relevant jersey/team merchandise. He then posted screen grabs to his twitter. :lol:

This went on for two hours until the entire search function was disabled. :rofl:

I obviously agree that Johnny Football knew the rules and broke them anyways; however I also can appreciate the blatant hypocrisy of the NCAA having the players' names as valid search criteria.

I love that they shut down the search function after Bilas went nuts! Too classic.

To pick up where we left off.

I love that they shut down the search function after Bilas went nuts! Too classic.

He really does hold the NCAA's feet to the fire on stuff like this.

So is the "Johnny Manziel's family has money and that's how he can afford to party all over the country" story a lie, or is he just a complete dumbass?

Dumbass. His dad does have money. He's not rockstar rich by any means, but my understanding is that they are on the border of upper middle class and wealthy. :dunno:

So is the "Johnny Manziel's family has money and that's how he can afford to party all over the country" story a lie, or is he just a complete dumbass?

I'm not exactly in the know, but I would say both statements seem to be true

Dumbass. His dad does have money. He's not rockstar rich by any means, but my understanding is that they are on the border of upper middle class and wealthy. :dunno:

Maybe a bit further up than that. Johnny's grandfather is purported to be a well-known local figure in the oil & gas business, and apparently his dad has his own holdings in addition to grandpa's.

Nothing to substantiate that other than message board posts, but that seems the consensus.

An Emory University study says Kentucky has a better football fanbase than Ole Miss.

In your face Ferrum! :rofl:

You can't argue with me on this one because its Science.

Wait what?? Nooooooo! :lol:

The real joke is Vandy being anywhere but last on this list. Good school, some nice recent success in the program, horrible-to-nonexistent fan support.

If they didn't have enough evidence to sit Cam Newton, who obviously took money, then they aren't going to sit Manziel. They are reporting today that there is no "smoking gun". I guess common sense and eyesight just are not good enough.

And now it comes out that the same "autograph broker" in the Manziel case also has eBay listings with Bridgewater and Clowney autographs. No evidence at all that money exchanged hands, but I'm sure the NCAA will snoop around.

This may get bigger before it goes away.

This seems like a case of Res Ipsa Loquitor. There is no way they were signing for some shady autograph dealer if it wasn't for cash. I don't expect the NCAA to try to bring the hammer down on its biggest stars, especially in the wake of the hypocrisy that Jay Bilas just exposed (but we all already knew about). They would like for this to go away just as much as Manziel, and I think they'll end up finding "insufficient evidence" at the end of it all.

If they didn't have enough evidence to sit Cam Newton, who obviously took money, then they aren't going to sit Manziel. They are reporting today that there is no "smoking gun". I guess common sense and eyesight just are not good enough.

I agree that the NCAA is incompetent, but I'm a little sympathetic towards their apparent inability to investigate. We can all agree and pat ourselves on the back that Johnny Football and Cam Newton obviously took money, because its common sense and they play in the SEC. However, being able to prove they actually took money is another matter altogether. I work as a state tax auditor and I have audited plenty of restaurants, bars, contractors, etc who I am 100% confident hid income. However, I could not prove it because my investigative authority is limited. As long as you have half a brain, which might be a stretch for Manziel, it is very easy to hide cash. Manziel's family money also gives him another level of plausible deniability. He will probably skate on this, but I'm willing to let LSU's players decide his fate.

Archived