College Football 2013: The Season Begins, Let the Tears Begin to Fall!

Ded As Ned

One more day!

Ooh, I think I'm going to try to get Sunday tickets for the season's least important game: CU vs CSU. How do they still manage to be so expensive for two such awful teams? But I've always wanted to see Ralphie run out :) She's about the best mascot possible.

Ok. State will be running 2 QB's against Miss. State (my guess is Chelf will end up getting the starting nod for the season, with Walsh running backup and coming in for special yardage situations).

Here's hoping neither of them shows any mercy and the Pokes hang 50 on MSU! Never too early in the season to get some good old fashioned hate flowing. :)

The word out of Ole Miss fall camp the past couple of weeks has me very optimistic, at least for tomorrow night's game. Few injuries to speak of, and per the coaching staff a lot of improvement versus this time last year in all phases. Meanwhile from the Vandy side, James Franklin has deemed this week an appropriate time to join the Saban/Bielema chorus in bitching about fast paced offenses.

I wholeheartedly approve your avatar change!

Much better than the previous one!

Thanks! The wig was itchy

ETA: Plus, I tend to change faces with the seasons

I will also approve of the avatar change.

I used to have a Mike Hartline av that I would sport during football season. Sure he wasn't that great a QB... but the picture was a nice UK blue and it was a good QB pose!

Although, that being said... I think he'd be a better QB for the Bills to start week one than Jeff Tuel!

Here's hoping neither of them shows any mercy and the Pokes hang 50 on MSU! Never too early in the season to get some good old fashioned hate flowing. :)

The word out of Ole Miss fall camp the past couple of weeks has me very optimistic, at least for tomorrow night's game. Few injuries to speak of, and per the coaching staff a lot of improvement versus this time last year in all phases. Meanwhile from the Vandy side, James Franklin has deemed this week an appropriate time to join the Saban/Bielema chorus in bitching about fast paced offenses.

Good to know I'm not the only one who enjoys watching their archrival get ground into the dust. Unfortunately UofL's schedule this year is cupcake city. I think Rutgers is their toughest game. If they somehow (unlikely) go undefeated, we'll have to hear their fans bitch and moan in these parts how they're getting shafted from the championship.

Sidebar: Does the 4-team playoff starts this year?? Or is that next year?.

Re: Fast-paced offenses. Saban & co. need to stop whining. I don't see a minimum time between plays ever happening. Would reek havoc on nailbiter endings and 2 minute drills. It's FOOTBALL ya pansies, suck it up and play!

The recent trend of QBs transferring the instant another QB is named starter is probably behind the plethora of two QB systems prior to the first week. If the HC can play two QBs in the first game, even if the 'backup' QB only does one play, then he's effectively prevented that QB from transferring this year.

Look at how royally Missouri got screwed by the QB transfer-itis disease. They mistakenly named captain awful the stupendously stupid James Franklin to QB and now Gary Pinkel is undeservedly on the hot seat because his QB pick didn't work out and backup QB Tyler Gabbert transferred away the day JF was named to QB. had he not transferred, he'd assuredly be the starting QB now because JFs awfulness is only exceeded by butterfingers berkestressor.

Good to know I'm not the only one who enjoys watching their archrival get ground into the dust. Unfortunately UofL's schedule this year is cupcake city. I think Rutgers is their toughest game. If they somehow (unlikely) go undefeated, we'll have to hear their fans bitch and moan in these parts how they're getting shafted from the championship.

I heard one of the prediction gurus on the radio the other day saying that due to their schedule, Louisville is far and away the most likely team to finish undefeated this season. No way will that half-CUSA conference deserve a shot at the title.

Sidebar: Does the 4-team playoff start this year?? Or is that next year?

That would be next season.

The recent trend of QBs transferring the instant another QB is named starter is probably behind the plethora of two QB systems prior to the first week. If the HC can play two QBs in the first game, even if the 'backup' QB only does one play, then he's effectively prevented that QB from transferring this year.

Look at how royally Missouri got screwed by the QB transfer-itis disease. They mistakenly named captain awful the stupendously stupid James Franklin to QB and now Gary Pinkel is undeservedly on the hot seat because his QB pick didn't work out and backup QB Tyler Gabbert transferred away the day JF was named to QB. had he not transferred, he'd assuredly be the starting QB now because JFs awfulness is only exceeded by butterfingers berkestressor.

Yeah, this trend is alarming and has made it exceedingly difficult to develop a talented young QB to learn the system for 2 or 3 years, then step in and take over in his redshirt sophomore or junior season. We've got two true freshman QBs coming in this season who show a lot of promise, but I'm hesitant to get too excited about them because odds are they won't both be here to compete for the job by the time Wallace graduates.

Think about USC. I don't know for certain how good Wittek and Kessler are, but given their pedigree, the "loser" could be pretty much guaranteed a starting job most other places if they bolt from USC. LK obviously would prefer having an elite backup to not having one.

based on reading the LA Times for the last month, I would say Wittek is a DEFINITE flight risk, and if Kiffin named Cody the starter today, with the team in Hawaii, Wittek would put in for a transfer to another school tonight.or vice versa.

Keeping the flight risks from fleeing the program is important.

WTF

Just saw a Breaking News on ESPN's Facebook that Manziel will be suspended for the first half against Rice and that will completely resolve the issue.

Way to take a stand there NCAA...

WTF

Just saw a Breaking News on ESPN's Facebook that Manziel will be suspended for the first half against Rice and that will completely resolve the issue.

I was under the impression that the suspension came from Texas A&M, not from the NCAA. Although what that is supposed to accomplish is not clear to me; either he did it or not, you can't just split the difference and punish him like he was late to practice.

WTF

2 quarters more than I expected him to sit. Putting justice, fairness, etc. aside, I'm kind of hoping to get to watch an implosion of epic proportions when he can't live up to last season.

ESPN story.

They make it sound like it was a compromise between the school and the NCAA.

I'm 100% with Maith on this one. Either he did it and he has forfeited eligibility or he didn't (that you can prove) and he shouldn't sit at all.

ETA: This part is even worse!

An agreement has been reached between the NCAA and Texas A&M that a source told ESPN's McMurphy closes the book on Manziel's recent issues.

The NCAA has acknowledged Manziel did not receive money for signing autographs, the source said.

So what the fuck are you suspending him for?!!?

Without knowing too many specifics of his family... they're really well-off right? Seems like that makes it nearly impossible for the NCAA to find any proof. Any big dollar items the kid buys or suddenly owns could easily be explained as a purchase by the family.

Whereas an inner-city kid whose parents aren't as fortunate have a hard time answering "Where'd that watch come from?"

Make me sick.

Without knowing too many specifics of his family... they're really well-off right? Seems like that makes it nearly impossible for the NCAA to find any proof. Any big dollar items the kid buys or suddenly owns could easily be explained as a purchase by the family.

Whereas an inner-city kid whose parents aren't as fortunate have a hard time answering "Where'd that watch come from?"

Make me sick.

Yeah, I didn't know how well off until reading a recent article out of San Antonio. Its really quite amazing. His great-grandfather was a boxer and got into oil speculation and then later the family had alleged mob ties.

My brother just told me he was listening to SVP and Russilo and some official or another said that the NCAA has some sort of rule against signing metric fuck-tons of autographs and that is what the suspension is for. :lol:

Can't say that I'm surprised. The NCAA is such an incompetent, corrupt organization that a full season ban or no penalty at all would surprise me. /End Paragraph (can't do linebreaks in this browser). Unfortunately, Manziel isn't likely to get his comeuppance until the NFL. aTm plays one of the most embarrassingly easy schedules I've ever seen. Yeah, he could and likely will lose to Alabama, but past that just pure awfulness.

Archived