If Joffrey found the truth about his parents?

Frey Kings

Deny it. In Joffrey's mind, he was born to be king; it's the only truth he's ever known. Accepting that he is but a bastard born of incest would mean accepting that he was not meant to rule, to be #1, and I don't believe Joffrey capable of that.

"Most men would die rather than face a harsh truth."

He would never believe it. Whoever told him would be killed, it's not like Cersei would ever tell him. When Ned declared him as not the lawful king, his exact response was something like "Why is he saying that?!" The idea that he's not the king is too foreign a concept for him to ever accept.

Assuming he believed it. He would now have no reason whatsoever to have any respect or pretense of loyalty to Cersei, or any of the Lannisters for that matter. He'd likely have them all killed. He'd still want to be king, though, so the end result would be to centralize authority and power unto himself. Also he'd become more paranoid, not able to trust anything or anyone. Basically he'd become the Mad King all over again.

Stepped down from the throne, give the crown to Dany and everything would be happy and magical.

Oh yes, I'm sure. Then he could realise his folly with Sansa, apologise and promise to treat her as any true knight would, and they all live happily ever after.

Lose his shit.

I think he would even go as far as to have Jaime executed.

Certainly, and he likely would have had Cersei punished too.

Lose his shit.

I think he would even go as far as to have Jaime executed.

Certainly, and he likely would have had Cersei punished too.

I think there are hints that Joffrey is very close with his mother. I can see him demanding that Jaime be executed, but I don't think he would spare Cersei. One of the few if not the only time we see Joffrey show concern for someone is when Robert and Cersei have their (verbal) fight at the Hand's Tournament.

He'd be angry. His tantrum with Tywin is proof enough that he respected Robert. He prided himself in being his son.

Yeah. People tend to forget that Joffrey and Tommen see themselves as Baratheons. That has some weight in a society like that. Robert was a legend, after all.

I can see him go completely mad - laugh hysterically, yell, swear and smash some things, order some deaths or tortures for people that he thought were involved or knew all along and never said anything to him. Maybe try and do something severe against his parents. Then either go to the extreme where he avoids being around any sort of family members for paranoid fear of following the same path, or tries to bed certain family members in wanting to follow some twisted dynasty.

Or, if not that, ignore the news, condemn it as filthy lie on his good name and try to destroy the source/messenger of the information.

Archived