The books coming out in 2014

AncalagonTheBlack

Unholy War (Moontide Quartet #3) by David Hair

Publisher: Jo Fletcher Books (2 Oct 2014)

Shaliyah, birthplace of the Prophet, now has a new name: Mother of Victories. In the wake of the devastating battle before her walls, everything has changed: the East is rising, bringing equal measures of hope and despair to the magical world of Urte.

For Elena Anborn and Kazim Makani, Salim's victory is a call to arms against the renegade spymaster Gurvon Gyle. For Queen Cera Nesti of Javon, it is a beacon as she seeks new ways to overthrow her husband, the usurper king, and reclaim Javon for her brother. For Ramon Sensini, trapped behind enemy lines with the shattered remnants of the Southern Army, it is more evidence of a world gone mad.

And while the armies of east and west clash in ever-more-bloody conflict, emperors, Inquisitors, Souldrinkers and assassins all have their attention turned elsewhere as they hunt the Scytale of Corineus. This artefect is the key to ultimate power, and it's in the hands of the most unlikely of guardians: failed mage Alaron Mercer and market-girl Ramita Ankesharan, pregnant widow of the world's greatest mage. What they choose to do with the Scytale could change the world forever.

The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett will be published March 24th 2015.

Peter V. Brett has quickly established himself as one of the most successful new fantasy writers working today. Readers have embraced his world and his characters with a fervor, and his third and most recent novel hit the New York Times bestseller list in hardcover. Now he continues his epic series in grand style, offering the continuing stories of all the POV characters we have come to know and love, as well as adding several new ones into the mix.

FAN FAVORITE: Both fan and critical responses to the first three books have been enormously strong, building a readership ready and eager for the next novel in the series.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?group=related&sku=0345531485

I get where people are coming from with the rapey stuff, but if the rest of the story were good enough I could get past that. It's the constantly going over the same fucking story from a different POV that I've completely lost patience with. If you already know what's going to happen seeing it again from another, less interesting, character's perspective is not a selling point for fuck's sake. :bang:

I get where people are coming from with the rapey stuff, but if the rest of the story were good enough I could get past that. It's the constantly going over the same fucking story from a different POV that I've completely lost patience with. If you already know what's going to happen seeing it again from another, less interesting, character's perspective is not a selling point for fuck's sake. :bang:

That is the main thing of irritation next to the hideous accents which just annoyed the hell out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Dream (Heart of the World #3) by Col Buchanan (Tor UK/Pan Macmillan)

Release date: 11 Sep 2014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Dream-Buchanan-Col/dp/1447211189/

No blurb/description yet but it's good to know it will be out this year,been waiting for book 3 since 2011. :D

It looks like the new release date is March 2015:

http://www.bookdepository.com/BLACK-DREAM-Col-Buchanan/9781447211181

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new release date is March 2015:

http://www.bookdepository.com/BLACK-DREAM-Col-Buchanan/9781447211181

The March date is for the U.S. edition published by Tor Books.

UK edition will be published by Tor UK/Pan Macmillan and the pub. date is still September 11, 2014 according to amazon UK.

Locus's 'forthcoming books' section has it down to a December 2014 release. :dunno:

Kate Elliott's Black Wolves has been pushed back to October 2015.

Melanie Rawn is going to write Captal's Tower!

UK edition will be published by Tor UK/Pan Macmillan and the pub. date is still September 11, 2014 according to amazon UK.

If September 2014 were the real release date for The Black Dream, we would now have cover art and blurb.

Wait, Rawn is going to write The Captal's Tower? I've never read much of Rawn's work so I'm not personally invested in the news -- at least not yet -- but I've been around the online fantasy community long enough to appreciate that this news dropped in a brief update post is huge for Rawn fans, huge. I haven't followed the issues surrounding Captal's Tower closely [briefly, so far as I understand it: Rawn was writing the Exiles Trilogy in the late 90s, and terrible life happened before she could start book 3 and she never returned to the project], but I think this might be the first time she has said that she intends to write the book at all, let alone that she may be working on it soon. Wonderful news! I will have to try the Exiles books now!

According to amazon, Ian Tregillis' The Mechanical, the first novel in his Klakkers series, has also been pushed, to March 2015. Too bad, but the delay is not substantial.

HarperCollins brings E R Eddison back into print:

HarperCollins has signed world rights for the literary work of Eric Rücker Eddison, often acknowledged as one of the founding fathers of modern fantasy.

E R Edison was born in 1882 and a close friend of Arthur Ransome, and wrote six books before his death in 1945, including 1922's The Worm Ouroboros and the subsequent Zimiamvia trilogy.

David Brawn, publisher of estates at HarperCollins, said: "When Eddison’s The Worm Ouroboros was published in 1922, no one quite knew what to make of it. The fantasy genre that we know today was barely in its infancy, and the sheer scope of the world Eddison had invented, with dark intrigue and outlandish violence, inspired other authors to indulge in literary world-building. Like Tolkien and C S Lewis, Eddison drew on ancient sagas and mythology for inspiration – he produced an acclaimed translation of the seminal Nordic Egil’s Saga in 1930 – and his legacy is probably greater than the small number of books he published."

J R R Tolkein called Eddison: "The greatest and most convincing writer of invented worlds that I have read."

The Worm Ouroboros and its three sequels, Mistress of Mistesses, A Fish Dinner in Memison, and the posthumous The Mezentian Gate will be published as paperbacks and e-books on 9th October, the first time in more than 40 years that all four will be available in the UK. The books will feature cover art by John Howe.

HarperCollins will also publish Eddison's first book, Poems, Letters and Memories of Philip Sidney Nairn on 14th August, and his translation of Egil's Saga on 11th September, the first time either book has been published in paperback.

Archived