Oops , Got that wrong T.V !

TheBadboy

The most miscast characters in the television adaptation

1. JON SNOW - Kit Harrington was not half bad during the show's first season, esp his scenes with Arya , Tyrion , Sam( You didn't know where to put it :D) were so enjoyable !!! But his sequences with ygritte are not even mediocre at their best ... The whole scenario seems like such a misplaced romance ... And no wonder why Kit is not praised enough even though he plays basically the protagonist ( I mean even secondary characters earn more accolades than him !)

2. Stannis Baratheon : Me being one of those people who only started reading after I got addicted to the TV series , I never really understood why so many people in here root for Stannis before reading my novels ... On the screen he transcends like a dictator and not a king , a dictator who does not even have a mind of his own !!! Stannis of the TV pales and seems so one dimensional , and makes me think maybe Renly was right about him " Stannis has the personality of a lobster , He is a soldier not fit to rule or lead "

3. Shae : I have no idea why this character is one of the regulars and not a guest star in the TV series ... Seriously I understand they needed her for Tyrion , but making someone who is basically a whore to Lady Rambo who will hurt LF if he lays a hand on her precious Sansa is something drastic , something that did not work out well ... Probably the pain of her loss after her eventual deception and demise is why they glorified her so much ... Something like Talisa , a pig for slaughter ...But still the screen spent on Shae could be used in so many better ways !!

What are your opinons on the TV's most miscast characters ..

( I know there will be a lot of Marge and Natalie Dormer replies just because of her age ...My favourite character is going to be bashed left and right LOL )

if you say miscast, you are either referring to their look or acting ability. if you are referring to their portrayal then you should be discussing the writing, script and interpretation.

i think some characters have definitely been interpreted on the show - specifically, littlefinger and shae. while i understand (but don't like) the need to make littlefinger more overt, i can't for the life of me figure out why the changes to shae were made.

This will get moved to the TV forums I think...

As a Reply though I think Emilia Clarke was miscast.(But that might just be the writing I dislike).

Emilia Clarke - from the the hollowness in her eyes in season 1 , to her uncertainities in season 2( esp in her Qarth scenes !) and the finally her surge of confidence in Astapor and Yunkai ! Audience reception has been very positive towards her , that's why they decided to end season 3 with her sequence when they had better options .

And she just recieved an emmy nomination for her performance :P

P.S. Sorry , new here and did not know which forum to post it in

Wrong place for this thread yes.

But I honestly don't think Kit has been miscast I think he's perfect as Jon Snow. ( Ok I just have a massive dirty lust crush.)

Catelyn though I think is miscast, Michelle is a wonderful actress but because Cat is supposed to be still quite young, and a real beauty I think a different actress would have worked better. I love the fact that book Cat is both intelligent and beautiful. But as a non book reader I thoughts she was spot on a tough northern woman. But then I read the books and it turns out she is a southerner and is about my age having been a renowned beauty.

Emilia Clarke - from the the hollowness in her eyes in season 1 , to her uncertainities in season 2( esp in her Qarth scenes !) and the finally her surge of confidence in Astapor and Yunkai ! Audience reception has been very positive towards her , that's why they decided to end season 3 with her sequence when they had better options .

And she just recieved an emmy nomination for her performance :P

P.S. Sorry , new here and did not know which forum to post it in

I think Emilia being nominated is a huge mistake, i personally believe that Michele Fairley deserves the Emmy for her phenomenal performance during the Red Wedding.

I think Kit Harrington is actually a pretty competent actor, but the writing is poor for most of his scenes.

ETA: Yes this is probably going to be moved or locked.

Agreed. Early ASoS Jon is fundamentally about uncertainty and temptation. He's trying to blend in with the Wildlings, constantly reminding himself he's a man of the Night's Watch, but he's also kind of getting seduced (figuratively and literally) by the Wildling lifestyle. The show didn't really capture much of that. It sort skimmed over a lot of his arc, and junked Jon's resentment about being an outsider and a bastard in his conversation with Mance in favour of more "the White Walkers are a threat" dialogue.

Actually, I remember watching the Bear and the Maiden Fair, or Episode 7, and the Jon scenes where just so much better written and gave Kit a hell of a lot more to do in terms of his candid conversations with Ygritte about the issues I raised above. And I was kind of confused as to why this was in such contrast to earlier episodes that the character I knew from the books was starting to emerge.

And then I looked up the episode, and saw it was the first time that season an episode written by Martin, so that was why the writing finally 'got' Jon.

As bad as sad face Harrington is, and he's pretty awful, he's not nearly as poor as Clarke and her random eyes and faces.

But in all fairness, Emilia's acting as gotten exponetnially better in season 3, as compared to the travesty that was season 2 and "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONZ!?!"

2. Stannis Baratheon : Me being one of those people who only started reading after I got addicted to the TV series , I never really understood why so many people in here root for Stannis before reading my novels ... On the screen he transcends like a dictator and not a king , a dictator who does not even have a mind of his own !!! Stannis of the TV pales and seems so one dimensional , and makes me think maybe Renly was right about him " Stannis has the personality of a lobster , He is a soldier not fit to rule or lead "

I think Stephen Dillane plays a crackin' Stannis.

But in all fairness, Emilia's acting as gotten exponetnially better in season 3, as compared to the travesty that was season 2 and "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONZ!?!"

I reckon she got saved mostly by cornerstone scenes that are impossible to overact.

Dany and Jon could have been better cast. Sure, they fit the characters physically (Though I've never had imagined Jon so handsome in the books), but their acting IS weak. With Emilia, the writing truly helped to make matters worse, but Kit... There's just so much awful scenes... His last scene this season "I love you", was just bad. Rose Leslie is simply superior to him in every sense.Emilia is not as bad, but in Season 2 they just decided to give her stupid after stupid line.

On a positive note though, Sophie Turner Is Sansa. She plays the character so well, I can't really imagine others doing such a fine job. Michelle might not be as young as Catelyn, but all they Stark children got older, so it made sense.for her to be. She's in my humble opinion, the BEST actress in the show. Everything related to the RW... And even other episodes. She truly is the best. Sean Bean made Ned for me as well.

Dany and Jon could have been better cast. Sure, they fit the characters physically (Though I've never had imagined Jon so handsome in the books), but their acting IS weak. With Emilia, the writing truly helped to make matters worse, but Kit... There's just so much awful scenes... His last scene this season "I love you", was just bad. Rose Leslie is simply superior to him in every sense.Emilia is not as bad, but in Season 2 they just decided to give her stupid after stupid line.

On a positive note though, Sophie Turner Is Sansa. She plays the character so well, I can't really imagine others doing such a fine job. Michelle might not be as young as Catelyn, but all they Stark children got older, so it made sense.for her to be. She's in my humble opinion, the BEST actress in the show. Everything related to the RW... And even other episodes. She truly is the best. Sean Bean made Ned for me as well.

Tyrion , Dany , and Jon are the trio ... Dany was pretty bad in season 2 , but her season 3 scenes were filled such confidence , the sacking of Astapor and final Mysa scene were one of the few scenes that make you happy , so Dany atleast grabbed when it mattered most ...I can't think any Jon scene I would want to rewatch , his imporatant scenes like meeting up with Mance , were so screwd up !!

Plus now unlike Dany and Tyrion , Jon has much less OMG scenes in the future , so I guess he missed his cue...

The females are all so good , its hard to pick

Sansa - when Joffery makes her look at Ned's head

Arya- On her vis-a-vis with Tywin

Caterlyn - RW

Cersei - Basically I love the way she just moves , seems so fitting

Marge - Her manipulating Joffery

Melisandre - The way she just speaks , its creepy :P

And obviously Queen of Thrones lol

Lena Headey's portrayal of Cersei doesn't fit my image of Cersei from the books. Lena exhibits more vulnerability and less fierce pride than what I'd expect from Cersei.

Charles Dance was mostly fantastic, and although his interactions with Arya were entertaining, the fatherly kindness with which he interacted was far out of character with the book Tywin.

Caveat: Haven't seen any of season 3.

Archived