Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Havent read comedy in ages. Heard alot about this guy and there armies and armies of his books in every bookstore in India(in the fantasy section) and no hint of Abercrombie :(

Thoughts?

I agree with peterbound (pauses to check world has not ended). They're shit. There are some jaw-dropping, "This is hilariously awful," moments in them, but to get to each bit you need to wade through 500 pages of utter drek.

Our own MinDonner did do this summary which cuts to the chase of the 'good bits' whilst avoiding the tedium, which is a much better choice to read.

Blah, we probably agree on more than you think.

Also, your hate for me hurts my heart. I remember meeting you in line at the Norwich signing of AFFC (Holy fuck that was a long time ago), and you being nice to me. As the only American in the room (remember the days when you could go to a GRRM book signing an there were /maybe/ 30 people in there?) I found that to be very kind. Can't we go back to that?

They got any Terry Brooks in India? David Eddings? RA Salvatore? That stuff is pretty good for light entertainment. I mean, it's not LOTR or ASOIAF, but it's not the Yeard either. Although I liked his first book well enough, never read any of the others.

I used to love some Eddings though. The Elenium was my favorite in high school. Terry Brooks too, I like the Magic Kingdom books better than The Sword of Shannara. And The Dark Elf Trilogy by Salvatore.

I have a mild curiousity about Goodkind, but there's so many other wonderful books out there - why should I waste my time reading about gnarly brambled cocks and chickens which are not chickens, but EVIL PERSONIFIED?

Life's too short.

Our own MinDonner did do this summary which cuts to the chase of the 'good bits' whilst avoiding the tedium, which is a much better choice to read.

Omfg i just started reading! So fucking funny...especially when he breaks the 8 yr old's jaw and slaughters evil hippies. Oh and richard thinks he knows maths...awww how cute :love:

See abercrombie this is how u write INTERESTING characters.. not even my renegade shepherd can match dear richard.

Thanks MinDonner u are really cool for making that review :)

The Goodkind threads almost make me want to read his books, just to see stuff like the chicken that's not a chicken, but evil incarnate, in context.

As said above, there is no context. It just happens out of thin air with little forewarning (I think Goodkind's established that there are shape-changing evil creatures called chimes, but this is the first time one shows up).

The chicken scene is also notable as a scene in a fantasy novel tha is sometimes parodied in others. Steven Erikson's Reaper's Gale rips the piss out of it (when Tehol screams his house is infested with evil chickens and goes into a rant about them for no apparent reason). Abercrombie also drops an evil chicken reference in one of his novels (can't remember which one now though).

Also, your hate for me hurts my heart. I remember meeting you in line at the Norwich signing of AFFC (Holy fuck that was a long time ago), and you being nice to me. As the only American in the room (remember the days when you could go to a GRRM book signing an there were /maybe/ 30 people in there?) I found that to be very kind. Can't we go back to that?

:cheers:

Based on the pacifist strawmen in the actual books? Definitely. Tairy's idea of "pacifists" are people who use lying, manipulation and irrational shrieking in order to persuade non-pacifists to do their fighting for them. So that would likely include both Gandhi and MLK.

If Jesus showed up in Goodkindland, Richard would kick him in the balls, knee him in the face when he went down and then behead him in search of moral celery.

I remember Abercrombie dropping a noble goat reference, but don't remember any evil chickens.

You're right, it was the noble goat, not the evil chicken.

Archived