Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

I agree with peterbound (pauses to check world has not ended). They're shit. There are some jaw-dropping, "This is hilariously awful," moments in them, but to get to each bit you need to wade through 500 pages of utter drek.

Our own MinDonner did do this summary which cuts to the chase of the 'good bits' whilst avoiding the tedium, which is a much better choice to read.

Thanks to this forum I've been introduced to the works of Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, and Glen Cook.

And now, I'm being introduced to..........the chicken that is Evil Incarnate, whose hackles (do chickens have hackles?) rise, and which cackles insanely.

I must say it sounds like enormous fun, like the Eye of Argon.

There was a thread here about the best evil characters in fantasy fiction. People like Inquisitor Glokta, Cersei, Roose Bolton, Qyburn, the Limper, are clearly not half as compelling as the shitting chicken that feasts on human flesh.

The whole chicken scene is irretrievably stupid. Kind of funny, yes, but just ... ugh.

Also remember that this scene takes place in a village of cannibals called the fucking Mud People whose leader's name is the Bird Man. I think this scene might take place right after one of the eat-human-flesh parties but I can't recall.

Edit - I love how cannivalism is a-ok in Tairyworld (since Dick is adopted into their clan and he eats the stuff on several occasions), but fuck pacifists, those guys are Commies.

I've read a few of Goodkind's books and they are actualy realy good. I'd put them at the same level as say, ASOIF. But I don't agree with his beliefs, pretty hardcore liberal right here.

What drugs are you on!!!!? I tried reading the first SoT book, forced myself to read the first 300 pages before quitting. The whole plot was so cliche, not to mention the terrible writing. The dialog itself made me want to kill myself.

If Jesus showed up in Goodkindland, Richard would kick him in the balls, knee him in the face when he went down and then behead him in search of moral celery.

Not to nitpick but I think he would rip out his spine.

I've only come across excerpts of his books, and might put them on my Kindle for some comedy relief sometime, since what I've come across is amusingly awful. I wouldn't put money in his pocket, because Goodkind as a person is a total asshole. He is regularly rude to interviewers who refer to his work as Fantasy, insisting his work is more original and deeper than that of every Fantasy author from Tolkien onwards despite it being completely derivative and, philosophically, a simplification of Ayn Rand. He brings up the amount of books he's sold in interviews as a testament to his 'genius', and insults his readership also, saying they're not intelligent enough to understand him, if they deign to criticise in a 'preferred his early stuff' fashion any of his books.

Anyone that wants to read Goodkind for the awfulness needs to go into the series knowing full well that the first book wasn't that bad.

It's not good, but you really have to get in deep (like 4-5 books at least) before you can fully realize just how awful the whole Sword of Truth series is.

Who was Bird Man?

I don't remember him at all. But that's a pretty awesome name. Especially if it was his last name and his first name was Harvey.

He was the leader of the Mud People (cannibal good guys who like to slap hello), IIRC

The first few are passable ad Faith of the Fallen was pretty great when it came out. It was after that he started preaching for hundreds of pages (at one point in Naked Empire Richard gives an 80 something page speech. Seriously!) that he lost me. Terrible overall.

I've read a few of Goodkind's books and they are actualy realy good. I'd put them at the same level as say, ASOIF. But I don't agree with his beliefs, pretty hardcore liberal right here.

Liberal? You have got to be effing kidding me!!

Archived