Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Morpheus

Comic-Con footage recorded by a phone has been leaked.

http://whatculture.com/film/guardians-of-the-galaxy-comic-con-footage-leaked.php

And some set photos

http://io9.com/glenn-close-and-vin-diesels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-ro-1108048478

They are going for a more comedic tone than Marvel's other movies

"They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy."

"What a bunch of A-holes!"

It remains to be seen if they can pull off the intergalactic superhero film better than the disaster that was Green Lantern.

Also, about all of DC's excuses for not making films of major characters like Wonder Woman, their argument is invalid.here is a raccoon with a machine gun.

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/guardians-of-the-galaxy-sdcc-03-rocket-raccoon.gif

I know zilch about the sub-franchise, but Rocket Raccoon was a long-running back-up strip in Transformers when I was a kid, and was pretty cool (for a kid, anyway). The fact he's got his own movie (even as part of an ensemble) is pretty bizarre.

Also, about all of DC's excuses for not making films of major characters like Wonder Woman, their argument is invalid.here is a raccoon with a machine gun.

Do you think that maybe Marvel fans and DC fans are different? I'm not particularly clued up on what the fanbases are like, but DC always seemed to take itself more seriously than Marvel, and as a result, their fans are more picky than Marvels.

Do you think that maybe Marvel fans and DC fans are different? I'm not particularly clued up on what the fanbases are like, but DC always seemed to take itself more seriously than Marvel, and as a result, their fans are more picky than Marvels.

The fans are exactly the same in nearly every way. The only difference is one cares about the heroes fighting in Gotham, the others care about the heroes fighting in New York.

The problem is and always has been Warner Brothers meddling.

Comic-Con footage recorded by a phone has been leaked.

http://whatculture.c...tage-leaked.php

And some set photos

http://io9.com/glenn...y-ro-1108048478

They are going for a more comedic tone than Marvel's other movies

"They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy."

"What a bunch of A-holes!"

It remains to be seen if they can pull off the intergalactic superhero film better than the disaster that was Green Lantern.

http://cdn.uproxx.co...ket-raccoon.gif

Rocket Raccoon looks awesome - especially in that gif

Not sure what you mean by more comedic. Iron Man, Thor and the Avengers were all very heavy on the humour. Nothing in the trailer suggests it will be more comedic than those films so far.

I do like how some of the set photos reveal that the Simpsons are in the film :P

If they can make this franchise work then they can make any Marvel idea work. I just wonder if Disney will be so bothered about it as a franchise now they have Star Wars? I heard this was in motion before they bought Star Wars and were still desperately wanting their own space opera.

I guess box office will help them decide but I suspect if it doesn't do really well they may nip it in the bud and pour all their money into Star Wars spin offs. they'll pat Marvel on the back and tell them to keep making more superhero movies though.

I got the 2008 series "reboot" a few weeks ago and its really made me anticipate this movie. The series is very "Whedonesque" in its ability to have an ensemble where you're interested in all the characters and a good mix of drama, action and wry humor. With Whedon on as Marvel's "creative consultant" or whatever his title is, plus this being directed by James Gunn (and Chris Pratt as the lead) I have high hopes that this will be a funny but action-packed movie.

And both Groot and Rocket Raccoon look good CGI-wise and not hokey (so far) which was really my biggest fear for the movie.

Not sure what you mean by more comedic. Iron Man, Thor and the Avengers were all very heavy on the humour. Nothing in the trailer suggests it will be more comedic than those films so far.

Obviously Marvel keeps thing light, I even wish they would try something a little darker, I believe they have Daredevil back, it would be nice to see something true to Frank Miller's run. But for this, the choice of music and tone in the trailer seemed even more goofy than usual to me, it isn't much to go by and I could be wrong when the final product arrives. Thanos is supposed to figure in this somehow, so it can't all be light.

It looks very fun, and it's just hilarious that Marvel manages to get a C-list team on the screen before Warner puts even Superman and Batman together, let alone a Justice League movie.

DC heroes have a larger than life quality that makes them work in comics and animation but not as well in today's standard for live action stuff.

I mean, Wonder Woman is some lady in star spangled panties in live action. Flash will probably look goofy as hell, Green Lantern looked awful in the trailers. Aquaman could work but he's been shat on for so long at this point...

DC probably would be better trying to make films about characters like Cyborg, Dr. Fate, or Zatanna.

This looks like a film that will have a hard time drawing in some of the general audience.

Much more so than the more known franchises Marvel/ DC has. I don't know anyone in real life who's ever heard of Guardians of the Galaxy.

This looks like a film that will have a hard time drawing in some of the general audience.

Much more so than the more known franchises Marvel/ DC has. I don't know anyone in real life who's ever heard of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think Marvel is banking on their name to sell it. While all of their previous films were probably vaguely known properties I don't think it was that which made them popular it was the overall branding and the films seem to go from strength to strength in terms of box office. It is a fairly big gamble in that it has no A-list stars carrying it and is an unknown. I'm sure they'd have put Iron Man in it (like with the new comics) if they could have convinced RDJR. I still wouldn't rule out a guest appearance by Stark or Thor yet and there will be a lot of "Phase 2" and probably playing up on Thanos or "purple dude" as most non comic fans think.

Still, I think "ant-man" is going to be the greatest challenge because he just sounds lame (regardless of the talent involved). This has talking raccoons and trees but it also has spaceships and stuff.

Yeah, I've never been sure since it was first pitched why people think that pitching a bitching space opera with a sense of humour to general audiences should be a problem. It's really no more ridiculous than Star Wars. Like Morpheus says, Green Lantern failed because it was rubbish, not because it was glowy green guy in space. It essentially faced the exact same challenge as Thor in a lot of ways, and Thor aced it because it was good.

I don't buy it, they can make movies, there is just too much incopetence. Aquaman would be the most difficult to bring to film except in JLA imo.

GL didn't fail because it was "too weird", it was just bad from script to final edit

I agree with you on GL, and yeah if the movies were actually good it'd be different but how many superhero movies are genuinely good versus "good for a superhero movie".

Idk, maybe it's just me but Thor, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Avengers didn't seem all that good once you take out the special effects.

Idk, maybe it's just me but Thor, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Avengers didn't seem all that good once you take out the special effects.

I don't disagree with you there, they are not favorites, and as a whole I haven't really LOVED any superhero movie, I was always let down by the X-Men movies as well. But they are watchable, dumb action movies (usually, IM 2 was a chore).

DC is having trouble even creating half-way watchable popcorn flicks and I don't think it is because it is inherently more dificult to make movies with their characters compared to Marvel's.

Archived