Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Morpheus

DC is having trouble even creating half-way watchable popcorn flicks and I don't think it is because it is inherently more dificult to make movies with their characters compared to Marvel's.

This. Well, it is with the Flash purely because of the 'how do you usefully portray his powers' question, but none of the others. Someone mentioned Wonder Woman before - I compared GL to Thor earlier but WW is an even more direct comparison- if Thor could be made into a successful, popular film there's no real reason WW can't be. Captain Marvel, likewise, especially with the potential strength of Black Adam as an antagonist (which could easily be segued into the wider 'verse too).

This. Well, it is with the Flash purely because of the 'how do you usefully portray his powers' question, but none of the others. Someone mentioned Wonder Woman before - I compared GL to Thor earlier but WW is an even more direct comparison- if Thor could be made into a successful, popular film there's no real reason WW can't be. Captain Marvel, likewise, especially with the potential strength of Black Adam as an antagonist (which could easily be segued into the wider 'verse too).

I would love to see a Captain Marvel (Shazam!*) film done right. They would have to get Jon Hamm to play him though. Ever since CM started showing up in Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, and Batman: The Brave and The Bold, I just really took a liking to the character.

The Billy Batson/Captain Marvel dichotomy interests me. Young Justice did the best storyline with his character outside of comics I suppose, I've never read any with him except for "Kingdom Come".

*I hate that there's so much legal issue surrounding the character's name though, what he's supposed to be called, causing confusion with Marvel comics and Marvel's own Captain Marvel character(s).

Still, I think "ant-man" is going to be the greatest challenge because he just sounds lame (regardless of the talent involved). This has talking raccoons and trees but it also has spaceships and stuff.

One of the best skits SNL ever did was the superhero party that had Flash and Hulk teasing Antman all night. I remember when I originally saw it and for a few years afterward, I thought "Antman" was made up just for that sketch, I didn't know he was an actual comic book character like the rest in the sketch.

I cried a little inside when I heard they'd taken a good concept like Guardians of the Galaxy and reworked it into this. Made me glad I got out of comics. They'd didn't have to sully a good name with this group...

• 6 months later...

I dunno if I can handle Chris Pratt as anything other than a childlike goofball.

He proved in Zero Dark Thirty that he is perfectly capable of more than that. If this movie's a complete mess, and I suspect it will be, I don't think it'll be because of Pratt.

He proved in Zero Dark Thirty that he is perfectly capable of more than that. If this movie's a complete mess, and I suspect it will be, I don't think it'll be because of Pratt.

Whaaaat! He's in ZDT? Of course I watched ZDT before I started watching Parks and Rec, so I didn't notice him there. I'll have to cleanse my pallet by watching ZDT again before watching Guardians.

Whaaaat! He's in ZDT? Of course I watched ZDT before I started watching Parks and Rec, so I didn't notice him there. I'll have to cleanse my pallet by watching ZDT again before watching Guardians.

He is rather scruffy-looking in it, so, no shame in missing him if you weren't already familiar with him.

That trailer says absolutely nothing and gives me no incentive to watch the movie. There's not even a particularly good joke in there.

Odd, considering that even crappy movies can often scrape together enough decent footage for a good trailer.

That trailer says absolutely nothing and gives me no incentive to watch the movie. There's not even a particularly good joke in there. Odd, considering that even crappy movies can often scrape together enough decent footage for a good trailer.

This is just the first trailer. The point of it was to introduce the main characters for the non comic reading public. I'm sure the next trailer will be better.

I think the purpose of a trailer would be to give people an incentive to give a crap about the film. You don't introduce characters in a trailer, you do that in the movie proper. Unless the brief summary we get of the gang is all there is to them. Which would be kind of bad.

Yeah I'm somewhat skeptical. I was hoping this would be more esoteric than silly, in the same sort of way Thor was. Looks like they're pushing past the balance struck by Iron Man and laying the humour on a tad thick for my liking.

Well, it's different so I'll give Marvel credit for that as it could easily just pump out Avengers/IM films and reap the rewards.

I wonder if there's going to be lots of nods to other films as the opening of the trailer was definitely Indiana Jones?

Not sure what the content of the film is going to be - from the trailer I think the "guardians of the galaxy" tag is either going to be accidental or ironic as there's nothing to suggest that's their role. Maybe it's a space version of a biker gang name?

That was crap. As said, they really tried to put some comedy beats in there, and they fell completely flat. This looks like they wanted a Eurotrip movie in space for the segment of moviegoes who roar with laughter every time an actor raises an eyebrow incredulously and the music stops (ie. "you're supposed to laugh now").

If this has the material to be the next Serenity, show us. If not, it's really too bad.

Archived