Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Morpheus

If this has the material to be the next Serenity, show us. If not, it's really too bad.

Has anyone involved in the film ever made that claim? From a money POV I can see why no-one would want to make the next Serenity.

And let's not forget - this is the film which is supposed to be properly introducing us to Thanos, who is presumably going to end up being the Big Bad over the entire franchise. When it comes to something like Ant Man say, you can afford to have a cheesy comedy romp. But when it comes to this, which is setting up such a key part of the MCU going forwards, if it's whacky and stupid it's going to taint how the audiences see Thanos.

The humor is the same level of slapstick from Raiders of the Lost Ark (obvious scene set up aside) which is also mixed with high octane adventure. They lampshade the ridiculousness of the names and character looks pretty well. How else are you going to sell a bad ass talking raccoon and a walking tree with Hodor's vocabulary?

I have no exposure to this story or characters, but now I'm looking forward to it, even if it wasn't a part of Marvel Universe.

I think I'm in love with the trailer. The music especially... I'd never heard a David Hasselhoff song before,then I went and googled Hooked on a feeling. The video is so cheesy and hilarious I can't stop watching it. Damn, there goes my productive day.

And let's not forget - this is the film which is supposed to be properly introducing us to Thanos, who is presumably going to end up being the Big Bad over the entire franchise. When it comes to something like Ant Man say, you can afford to have a cheesy comedy romp. But when it comes to this, which is setting up such a key part of the MCU going forwards, if it's whacky and stupid it's going to taint how the audiences see Thanos.

Right. But why do you assume the way Marvel want audiences to see Thanos is inconsistent with the tone of that trailer?

Look at it this way. Loki was the Big Bad of Avengers and he was hardly treated with a tone of grim and gritty realism. And Thanos, well, as a concept he's pretty off-beat. A guy who is literally in love with death? Who spends his time running around after magic gems? It's not quite The Dark Knight, is it?

I strongly suspect the intended tone of both GotG and Avengers II will be upbeat action-adventure with dashes of humour. Maybe more of the latter in GotG than AII, but roughly I think that's what Marvel will be going for.

The humor is the same level of slapstick from Raiders of the Lost Ark (obvious scene set up aside) which is also mixed with high octane adventure. They lampshade the ridiculousness of the names and character looks pretty well. How else are you going to sell a bad ass talking raccoon and a walking tree with Hodor's vocabulary?

I have no exposure to this story or characters, but now I'm looking forward to it, even if it wasn't a part of Marvel Universe.

I agree. Although I also agree you shouldn't do a comedy trailer if it's not going to be a comedy throughout. That said, I'm pretty sure the Iron Man trailer was Tony Stark being an arrogant prick until his car is blown up. If you took the comedy elements from either Thor film and made a trailer out of it, it'd probably be cringe-inducing too.

Karen Gillen is unrecognisable in it. I almost see more likeness from Rocket Raccoon to Bradley Cooper.

I also wonder if Star Lord is earth human in this? While it'll make a nice change not to endure 1 hour of origin - it probably means a lot to the MCU if a human from Earth is running around in outer space. It suggests first contact may already have been made which i think is new to the films with the exception of the alien invasion? I count Asgardians as pan-dimensional.

Right. But why do you assume the way Marvel want audiences to see Thanos is inconsistent with the tone of that trailer?

Look at it this way. Loki was the Big Bad of Avengers and he was hardly treated with a tone of grim and gritty realism. And Thanos, well, as a concept he's pretty off-beat. A guy who is literally in love with death? Who spends his time running around after magic gems? It's not quite The Dark Knight, is it?

I strongly suspect the intended tone of both GotG and Avengers II will be upbeat action-adventure with dashes of humour. Maybe more of the latter in GotG than AII, but roughly I think that's what Marvel will be going for.

Well it's just my personal feeling that the humour in the trailer is a shade more than what we're used to with Marvel and that it risks overdoing it. If the trailer is indeed completely accurate in regards to the tone of the film, and if Thanos is going to have the same sort of tone as the entire film, then personally that's not the sort of Big Bad I want myself. A bit of ham, a bit of wit - sure I love all that. But they've got to feel threatening as well, and serious when push comes to shove.

They've also said that Avengers II will be quite a bit darker than the first as well, so clearly the core of the franchise isn't moving towards silly. I'm holding out hope that the film isn't going to be quite as humorous as the trailer suggests (especially as it wasn't humour I particularly found very funny) and that the actual film will be a rip-roaring action adventure in space with a sprinkling of comedy.

I also wonder if Star Lord is earth human in this? While it'll make a nice change not to endure 1 hour of origin - it probably means a lot to the MCU if a human from Earth is running around in outer space. It suggests first contact may already have been made which i think is new to the films with the exception of the alien invasion? I count Asgardians as pan-dimensional.

I read in some announcement that Star Lord is half human like in the comics, and that he's been in space since he was a kid. He has basically no connection to Earth, with the apparent exception of David Hasselhoff.

I like the look of it, Star Lord especially. It's like Ed Sheeran in space :P Gamora's smile was a nice touch, and Rocket Racoon and Groot could be good. Drax? Depends on Bautista's acting, he just looked like he was posing as a bodybuilder in the first shot of him.

I think you can see enough things in there that will be darker, they just don't get significant screen time in the trailer.

I think I'm in love with the trailer. The music especially... I'd never heard a David Hasselhoff song before,then I went and googled Hooked on a feeling. The video is so cheesy and hilarious I can't stop watching it. Damn, there goes my productive day.

Hooked on a feeling is not a David Hasselhoff song, it's a Björn Skifs song.

I want to know where they dug up that old fossil.

(the 80's Walkman with foam headset) :) I'm assuming Starlord is from Earth and that Walkman is his last token from his home planet.

The "I'm Starlord" shtick reminds me of Jack Sparrow (Pardon. CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow) in the first one.

Honestly, terrific first trailer. I knew nothing of these guys, and the trailer makes me anticipate the movie.I am not sure what there is to hate about this. Not every movie is going to be the god damned Batman, and the Avengers, which did phenomenally well, had elements of serious and humor. I mean they built up Loki over a number of movies and then had the Hulk smash him around like a rag doll. If that had been in the trailer than fan boys would have been crying in their cereal that he was being degraded.

I'm anticipating this one now, as opposed to being entirely indifferent for lack of knowledge. And I mean seriously, you have to start with a bit of humor if you are introducing characters that are trees and raccoons. The genera viewing public is not going to just accept a super serious trailer when one of the characters is a racoon.

And the idea that you can't have humor beats and seriousness was proven dead wrong by the Avengers.

The trailer looks awesome, not all superhero movies should be strictly serious.

My only disappointment is that Jason Momoa turned down the role of Drax the Destroyer, he would've been perfect for the role. Dave Bautista looks good though, his sheer size grants him considerable screen presence.

Archived