Ramsay Bolton: Quite the adept warrior?

Irelands Gemstone

We see in aCoK Ramsay masquerading as Reek murders 3 Ironborn under Theons command with Theons knowledge - These are hardened Ironborn soldiers, and even separately would be no easy task to bring down.

He is also quite the hunter, riding down women and prisoners with his dogs, this would lead to the impression he is a fair rider, and a decent bowman - always a good thing.

Then there is his training under the real reek as spoken by Roose. I dont know how apt the real Reek was with a sword but assuming he managed to kill 3 Ironborn alone, even by surprise would have to be pretty decent.

I dont think Ramsay is the frail weak psycho everyone thinks he is, I would say in light of his hunts, noble status, training and murder of the Ironborn he is an average, if not above par warrior.

That would technically make him a fit, adept psycho ... much more satisfying for Jon to have a battle of the bastards with.

Yeah...riding down women and torturing prisoners who can't fight back....he's a regular Arthur Dayne.

Nobody said he was honorable, just that he was a capable warrior. He slaughters Ser Rodrik's forces with only a quarter of the men. Even with the element of surprise, everyone was armed and they killed them all.

Nobody said he was honorable, just that he was a capable warrior. He slaughters Ser Rodrik's forces with only a quarter of the men. Even with the element of surprise, everyone was armed and they killed them all.

He attacks them at night in their camp while half the mere were sleeping.

Rickon could have commanded that and got the same result,Probably would have been more brutal,with Shaggydog running around.

As for his own skill,he is probably pretty good considering he has had a noble upbringing for most of his life.

Rickon could have commanded that and got the same result,Probably would have been more brutal,with Shaggydog running around.

As for his own skill,he is probably pretty good considering he has had a noble upbringing for most of his life.

It wasn't an ambush as they were sleeping, Theon watched for considerable time, and he said there were no battle lines, but there was fighting. I just read it again to be sure.

Still i didn't understand how he cut experienced knight like Rodrik's arm easily, on the other hand his father saying he has no talent on sword...

They were not sleeping, they were sieging the winterfell, Ramsay came as Bolton reinforcement, and shake hands with Rodrik, and Rodrik lost his arm. After they attack them.

Theon: Ser Rodrik had you five to one.

Ramsay: Aye, but he thought us friends. A common mistake. When the old fool gave me his hand, I took half his arm instead. Then I let him see my face.

No their army scattered.

He is similar with the smiling knight.

Smiling Knight should be similar to Mountain according to Jaime.

I see him as a pretty mid tier fighter. Everyone wants to see Jon vs Ramsay but I don't even think that'd be interesting it would be like a sentence or two

-Jon parried the bastard's wild swing and narrowly dodged the next. He swung Longclaw in a high arc and blood sprayed as Ramsay's head rolled past Jon's feet. -

Something like that is how i see the so called "Battle of the Bastards going. Roose's description of his skill/training didn't seem to flatter Ramsay much and I like to think Roose knows a few things...

"fights with ferocity, but undisciplined", would like to add here that discipline matters in an army. In a 1v1 battle I would give ferocity the edge.

is

So, Ramsay is like a Dothraki screamer or a Meereenese pit fighter then. He's strong, and he fights with the ferocity of someone who is completely out of his mind, but he's not exactly a trained and professional knight. This makes sense, since he didn't have a master at arms growing up and only practiced riding and sword fighting when he became an adult, unlike Jon Snow and most other noble boys in the series (he probably hasn't had that much more formal combat training than Arya).

"fights with ferocity, but undisciplined", would like to add here that discipline matters in an army. In a 1v1 battle I would give ferocity the edge.

Not really. A madman that just charges in and swings wildly won't do very well against a fighter that takes his time and waits for the opportune time to strike. Being "ferocious" doesn't count for all that much if you don't have the skill, strength and discipline to back it up.

I like to think Ser Barristan vs. Khrazz shows that discipline trumps ferocity.

More like Armour beats No Armour. But yeah, discipline trumps ferocity.

I picture him as a Mike Tyson type of fighter

Intimidating you and Ferociously attacking you but if you can make it past the first wave he's pretty easy to beat

You know nothing about boxing. The whole thing about Tyson's lack of stamina is a myth. Obviously later in his career he got lazy, but in his prime he had great stamina.

Archived