Why would Tywin Lannister have sex with shae?

Gustavo Fring

I did not understand clearly why was Shae having sex with Tywin, I know it is not directly said that they actually "shared bed", but the description of the death scenario speaks by itself.

I mean, seriously, why would Tywin Lannister do it with his Dwarf son's dirty whore? I understand Cersei's surprise when discovering Shae's body. I would believe it either.

Was it a way of insulting his son?

Or he was just enjoying her since tyrion brought her to his tent?

Or where they not actually in bed and it was Tyrion's way of humiliating his father?

Remember the tunnel dug up into the whorehouse Tyrion uses to cover his tracks? Varys said it was dug by a Hand whose honor didn't permit him to visit publicly. Tywin Lannister was Hand to Aerys long enough. Truth be told, all he cares about is the perception of his house and honor, not the actuality of it. He has nothing against whores; he doesn't like that Tyrion brought her to the capital. where people would see.

Remember his father had a whore who big noted herself and then he paraded her naked for the whole of the rock to see.

I agree with the tunnel being build by tywin, makes sense. He can't have been celibate for all those years since Tyrion was born, but he doesn't want the public to see his faults.

I think shae probably wasn't acting the part of a paid whore... Maybe more of the part of a "groupie" for the hand of the king.

Remember the tunnel dug up into the whorehouse Tyrion uses to cover his tracks? Varys said it was dug by a Hand whose honor didn't permit him to visit publicly. Tywin Lannister was Hand to Aerys long enough. Truth be told, all he cares about is the perception of his house and honor, not the actuality of it. He has nothing against whores; he doesn't like that Tyrion brought her to the capital. where people would see.

Now that you have mentioned it, it all makes sense. I was wondering about the same thing all this time as it wasnt making much sense to show Shae there. Thanks

it always have been a question for me and know with your explanation, it make sense. thanks.

The simple answer: because she's hot.

It does make Tywin look like a major hypocrite of course.

I'm probably in a minority who don't see Tywin as a hypocrite. His problem was always with Tyrion openly whoring, not with him whoring. If he'd been subtle I really don't think Tywin would have cared much.

The core of it is that Tywin is a hypocrite and, deep down, is a deeply insecure man.

Think of it: of ALL the whores he could have been with, he chooses his son's. Why is this? To get back at him? But Tyrion is in the black cells and due to be executed: had Varys not brought him past the stairs, had Jamie not sprung him, Tyrion would never have found out about this. It seems an odd way to get vengeance when what Tyrion is accused of is killing someone that Tyrion and Tywin both saw as problematic and were unlikely to mourn.

Could it be that Tywin actually, in a weird way, ENVIES his son? That he worries deep down that his dwarf son might be smarter than he is? Might be more virile? When the chips are down he seems to trust him with power and debate matters of state with him he totally doesn't have to (even if Tywin never makes Tyrion feel he's actually being consulted) only to take it away when the crisis is over.

I think the fact that it was Shae in his bed, and that Tyrion would have never known about it were it not for an accidental 'visit' is key...

The core of it is that Tywin is a hypocrite and, deep down, is a deeply insecure man.

Think of it: of ALL the whores he could have been with, he chooses his son's. Why is this? To get back at him? But Tyrion is in the black cells and due to be executed: had Varys not brought him past the stairs, had Jamie not sprung him, Tyrion would never have found out about this. It seems an odd way to get vengeance when what Tyrion is accused of is killing someone that Tyrion and Tywin both saw as problematic and were unlikely to mourn.

Could it be that Tywin actually, in a weird way, ENVIES his son? That he worries deep down that his dwarf son might be smarter than he is? Might be more virile? When the chips are down he seems to trust him with power and debate matters of state with him he totally doesn't have to (even if Tywin never makes Tyrion feel he's actually being consulted) only to take it away when the crisis is over.

I think the fact that it was Shae in his bed, and that Tyrion would have never known about it were it not for an accidental 'visit' is key...

You're up to something. Tywin is all about appearances and the family's name. He doesn't mind doing despicable things as long as everyone respects you and fears you. On the other hand his son, just likes to have fun. Tywin has chosen a certain path for himself in life, but he wonders if maybe his son's path is the better one.

Could Shae have been planted in Tywin's room by Varys?

After all, he's the one who helped Tyrion escape. Could he have put Shae there with the intention of Tyrion finding her and having the reaction he did?

I'm not sold on the notion, but throwing it out there.

After all, he's the one who helped Tyrion escape. Could he have put Shae there with the intention of Tyrion finding her and having the reaction he did?

That was my very first gut reaction and I am not sold either, too many unknown variables involved and Varys seems like a guy to have no variables involved.

No Shae was there with Tywin. When Tyrion showed up she thought it was Tywin initially and called him "honey" or something (I can't remember what her exact words were). And she later told Tyrion that Tywin scared her.

But there's other hot women all over King's Landing. Other whores, or low-born women if he doesn't want a whore. He's the most powerful man in the kingdom, he could have ANYBODY.

But he chooses Shae.

Again, that might seem like he's taking revenge, but neither Tyrion or Tywin were fond of Joffrey, and Tywin was not terribly less disposed toward Tyrion than he had been previously. If it HAD been revenge, what was the point if Tyrion would have never found out?

I think it's more of a psychological issue.

This.

Remember his father had a whore who big noted herself and then he paraded her naked for the whole of the rock to see.

Tytos, Tywin, Tyrion... all have whores. While Jaime..............has Cersei. :P

I don't think Varys knows that Jaime will confess to Tyrion about Tysha then Tyrion will be angry at him and decides to confront his father about it. Tyrion finding Shae in Tywin's bed is a coincidence, I guess (though it's possible Varys knows that she and Tywin have been sleeping together), and it proves that he and his father are not different after all but Tywin, even on his last moment, finds a way to throw shit on his son. Tyrion had the last laugh though 'coz when he crossbowed him on the gut, the great and mighty Lion of Lannister, did not in the end , shit gold.

Archived