Video Games: The long wait until Fall games come out

Fez

Might & Magic X out on Monday!

Thief 4 gets a release date: 25 February 2014.

GFWL is apparently being shut down. Hopes are high that patches will remove it from all games currently requiring it. However, you will be able to download full games and DLCs that you have purchased from the GFWL servers.

Not sure why (guess its some sort of promotion) but Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 are currently both free to download for Xbox Live Gold members. One of the icons on the first page of the Dashboard takes you to download screen.

I already have Crackdown (and I highly recommend it to anyone who never played it) and I'm downloading DR2 now.

Not sure why (guess its some sort of promotion) but Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 are currently both free to download for Xbox Live Gold members. One of the icons on the first page of the Dashboard takes you to download screen.

I already have Crackdown (and I highly recommend it to anyone who never played it) and I'm downloading DR2 now.

Didn't they announce they were pushing 2 free games per month until the Xbox One?

If you did not already know that we gamers are the worst fucking people on the planet, perhaps you would like to read about the people who threatened the children of Bioware writer Jennifer Hepler. (You may have noted other outlets reporting that these threats pressured her into leaving. She did leave, but that is not why, as this Polygon link notes. Still totally unacceptable.) I am not joking about that. I play games and I consider myself well-adjusted, and I know lots of other people who are the same, but there really does seem to be an alarming number of gamers who have absolutely no concept of acceptable behavior.

If that story has not adequately crushed your faith in your fellow man, I present to you this Tumblr of comments on the GTA5 trailer.

If you did not already know that we gamers are the worst fucking people on the planet, perhaps you would like to read about the people who threatened the children of Bioware writer Jennifer Hepler. (You may have noted other outlets reporting that these threats pressured her into leaving. She did leave, but that is not why, as this Polygon link notes. Still totally unacceptable.) I am not joking about that. I play games and I consider myself well-adjusted, and I know lots of other people who are the same, but there really does seem to be an alarming number of gamers who have absolutely no concept of acceptable behavior.

If that story has not adequately crushed your faith in your fellow man, I present to you this Tumblr of comments on the GTA5 trailer.

Well, then. Yeah, a lot of gamers are really fucking horrible. I wonder though if the populations of people who primarily watch TV or movies are really that much better, or if those industries have just been around so much longer that the studios have much better systems in place to deal with issues like this. I'd imagine Damon Lindelof, for examples, gets an awful lot of threats and hateful comments as well.

Ah, I never even knew this was possible. What awful people lol

I play the games that I enjoy and the ones that are suitable to me.

People always make fun of call of duty buyers, but honestly... I find my time limited with a lot of hobbies and work on my plate. When I am in the mood to compete in a limited time, COD is that fix for me.

I try not to worry too much about what game devs do because I play a very limited amount of games, for monetary purposes as well.

The problem is the internet. You can be faceless on the internet (or at least think you are). Which gives all kinds of cowards license to say awful things.

Yeah, I think part of it is the ubiquitous nature of gaming combined with gamers tending to congregate on the net.

That said, there does seem to be a bizarre sense of entitlement and sensitivity on the part of many gamers. I mean the term "save scumming" seems oddly judgmental about how others play a game.

[Though the death threats seem like a new low, sad to say it doesn't surprise me.]

Might & Magic X out on Monday!

Thief 4 gets a release date: 25 February 2014.

GFWL is apparently being shut down. Hopes are high that patches will remove it from all games currently requiring it. However, you will be able to download full games and DLCs that you have purchased from the GFWL servers.

I knew M&M10 was in the works I didnt expect it so soon.

I will have to check that out. Also good news on thief 4.

Gaming culture is absolutely disgusting. Which is weird since I go on video game messageboards, but I try to stay away from that part of it.

Very misogynistic among other things as well

I agree that gaming culture can be a bit misogynistic. But that is the devs and the writers fault, since they don't really seem to care for making good female characters.

I wouldn't say the culture is disgusting though, but it can certainly feel a bit immature at times. This is especially noticeable when you're playing MMO's.

Gaming culture is more than misogynistic. It's just downright sociopathic. It's abusive, angry, hateful, bigoted, bullying entitlement. It's pretty horrible.

No,every culture has this,you are only more aware of it in gaming.

And just cause of developers cant write fully fleshed out realistic females,dosent automatically make them sexists. Maybe they dont understand woman?

I agree that gaming culture can be a bit misogynistic. But that is the devs and the writers fault, since they don't really seem to care for making good female characters.

Those devs and such are part of gaming culture. They grew up in it. They are an expression of it. The whole thing is a feedback loop.

I wouldn't say the culture is disgusting though, but it can certainly feel a bit immature at times. This is especially noticeable when you're playing MMO's.

Nah, even in MMOs or, god forbid, X-Box Live it goes beyond immature to straight out bigoted, disgusting and disturbing.

I'd call it a combination of a socially immature and occasionally outcast group combined with the a hard lean towards only men and the anonymity the internet provides.

Archived