Video Games: The long wait until Fall games come out

Fez

Turns out Saints Row IV has ended up getting solid reviews, and is currently sitting at 83 on metacritic. I'm not going to get it immediately because I'm currently deep in Civ IV and EU3 games and I don't have much time for gaming the next couple weeks, but I will get it soon.

Conversely though, The Bureau: XCOM has much more mixed reviews and has a metacritic score of 63 (although only based on 7 reviews). I wanted to get this since it looked like a solid combination of a shooter and the tactics of classic XCOM, but I think I'll be waiting for a large price drop at this point. Particularly since there are quite a few probably-better games coming out later this year. The IGN 5.5 review is especially troubling since they are usually really generous with their scores.

They are generous when they are paid for it yes...

Pics or it didn't happen.

I know its a common complaint that people bring up, but other than the Jeff Gerstmann debacle at Gamestop, name one instance, not just at IGN but anywhere, where there's proof of misdoing like that. The reviewers of course have an incentive to give good reviews, considering how reliant their revenue streams are on gaming ads, but I've never seen evidence of them actually paid or mysteriously altering original reviews to increase scores.

So, if I missed the conversation I apologize, what do we think of the Kinect no longer being required for the Xbox One?

Or did I just dream that?

Super excited.

All I wanted from the Xbone was for it to be a more powerful 360; with significantly more advanced processing and graphical power. All this stuff Microsoft was pushing, such as the Kinect, to "advance gaming" was extremely disappointing and I'm glad its been almost entirely shelved. If gaming is to evolve, it needs to happen naturally and in the direction gamers want, not in the direction Microsoft decides it needs to be. And that begs the question of why exactly it needs to evolve anyway; what's so wrong about playing a game offline, by yourself, using a controller while sitting in a recliner (or however you prefer to sit)?

http://www.rockpaper...s-full-refunds/

Origin now offering refunds on games.

Between this and that humble bundle that went entirely to charity, EA seems to really be trying to get some good PR. They've got an almost unfathomably long way to go in my book, but its still heartening to see. Although it makes me suspicious as to what horrible bombshell they might be softening us up for.

The EA humble bundle was pretty good. I am looking forward to playig mirrors edge and dead space 3, I got distrated by FO:New vegas again, so wont be for a few weeks. I also got another skyrim play through on the go. So maybe around christmass ill get around to it.

SR3 novelty worn off a little, I guess there is only so much amusment to be had from nut kicking buskers.

What I want to know is why MOBA seem to bring out the worst of the PC community, they are the closest you get to XBox Live and it is a huge deterrent for me to play a type of game I love. Especially when so many people who rage on a moments notice are terrible players themselves, and can't recognise teamwork but try to hero up.

As someone who plays a lot of MOBA (Hundreds of hours in LoL, about 80 hours in DotA 2 now that I've switched to that) I have to say the terrible community thing is pretty overblown. It used to be much, much worse in LoL than it is these days, but Riot have become better about banning toxic players and the Tribunal system does it's job pretty well. The honor system surprisingly made a hell of a difference when it was first introduced. There are still some grade-A assholes of course, but I only run into one once every few games instead of several in every single game now. It's easy enough to mute and report them though, and they'll either get a ban or a chat restriction for a while. In the dozens of games of DotA I've played over the last couple weeks I've only run into two flamers so far.

Maybe I'm just lucky as hell though.

The people who do act like assholes are generally very immature, probably kids or teenagers. They're common in MOBAs because MOBAs are free, and readily available for download to anyone who wants to play them. They're also very competitive by nature, and you can't win on your own. That's the main problem, no matter how good you are you have to rely on four other people being at least somewhat decent if you want to win games. Yeah, it's just a game. But no one likes to lose, and when you kick ass but lose anyway because someone on your team had no idea what they were doing it can be pretty frustrating. I'm not saying that's a good reason or excuse to be an asshole to someone, just that that's why some people act that way. Doesn't make them less of a dick.

Personally I just take a break and play something else to calm down.

I was looking for a game to tide me over until Rome II (out two weeks from today) and The Bureau was looking promising, despite all of its problems. The reception so far has been fairly unexcited, though how much of that is down to the game's development or down to people wanting XCOM 2 (which, incidentally, we may be getting some more news about tomorrow) rather than the game itself is unclear. A lot of people are saying it's actually a perfectly serviceable game and an okay spin-off from the series as long as you approach it in that spirit.

That said, I think I'll be waiting for both this and Space Hulk to go down in price and I have about 30 unplayed games on my Steam list that need to be dealt with first.

As someone who plays a lot of MOBA (Hundreds of hours in LoL, about 80 hours in DotA 2 now that I've switched to that) I have to say the terrible community thing is pretty overblown. It used to be much, much worse in LoL than it is these days, but Riot have become better about banning toxic players and the Tribunal system does it's job pretty well. The honor system surprisingly made a hell of a difference when it was first introduced. There are still some grade-A assholes of course, but I only run into one once every few games instead of several in every single game now. It's easy enough to mute and report them though, and they'll either get a ban or a chat restriction for a while. In the dozens of games of DotA I've played over the last couple weeks I've only run into two flamers so far.

Maybe I'm just lucky as hell though.

Edit: on rereading, we are mostly saying the same things.

League of Legends was my introduction to the genre, and I've played since season 1. I also played Heroes of Newerth, badly, and then Dota 2. I have some 400 hours of Dota 2 logged, not sure about the others. (Didn't play Dota 1.)

The quality of community varies widely between games and even over time in the same game. League used to have a far more toxic community than it does now. Riot has invested a good deal of money and time in improving it, for the simple reason that a toxic community stops playing and therefore stops spending money. You definitely still run into dicks, but they are fewer in number than they used to be and generally less abrasive.

I haven't played HoN in a while, but when I played, it had the single most toxic community of any game I've ever played. This was not helped by S2's poor community management and the comically poor example set by Riot employees, most famously company president Maliken's penchant for racial epithets in-game. One of the earliest games I ever played pre-dated matchmaking and was billed as a newbie game; our team's Predator, clearly new, died a couple of times and our teammate spammed, nonstop for 20 minutes, "PRED LEAVE." It was a playground for a bunch of terribly, terribly angry children.

Dota 2 has mostly been pretty good. I'm not sure why -- maybe their reporting system is working, although it doesn't seem like it should be. But I also play with far fewer matchmade people than I ever did in HoN. Maybe it's because the game is tied to your Steam account. Who knows. I still run into jerks occasionally but it's uncommon.

In more "I don't understand why anyone plays CoD anymore" news, here's the latest BF3 Paracel Storm video.

It looks incredible, though possibly too air/vehicle heavy.

edit: The ship crashing at the end apparently occurs mid-round, not at the end in a cinematic, changing the spawn point (possibly?) and reportedly allowing you to man the AA guns there.

In more "I don't understand why anyone plays CoD anymore" news, here's the latest BF3 Paracel Storm video.

It looks incredible, though possibly too air/vehicle heavy.

edit: The ship crashing at the end apparently occurs mid-round, not at the end in a cinematic, changing the spawn point (possibly?) and reportedly allowing you to man the AA guns there.

Was that as storm starting in the middle of a game? That's cool.

Edit: on rereading, we are mostly saying the same things.

League of Legends was my introduction to the genre, and I've played since season 1. I also played Heroes of Newerth, badly, and then Dota 2. I have some 400 hours of Dota 2 logged, not sure about the others. (Didn't play Dota 1.)

The quality of community varies widely between games and even over time in the same game. League used to have a far more toxic community than it does now. Riot has invested a good deal of money and time in improving it, for the simple reason that a toxic community stops playing and therefore stops spending money. You definitely still run into dicks, but they are fewer in number than they used to be and generally less abrasive.

I haven't played HoN in a while, but when I played, it had the single most toxic community of any game I've ever played. This was not helped by S2's poor community management and the comically poor example set by Riot employees, most famously company president Maliken's penchant for racial epithets in-game. One of the earliest games I ever played pre-dated matchmaking and was billed as a newbie game; our team's Predator, clearly new, died a couple of times and our teammate spammed, nonstop for 20 minutes, "PRED LEAVE." It was a playground for a bunch of terribly, terribly angry children.

Dota 2 has mostly been pretty good. I'm not sure why -- maybe their reporting system is working, although it doesn't seem like it should be. But I also play with far fewer matchmade people than I ever did in HoN. Maybe it's because the game is tied to your Steam account. Who knows. I still run into jerks occasionally but it's uncommon.

A few community control measures can have a surprisingly large effect. I've heard LoL, as you and others here say, has improved alot with Riot's attempts to fix the issue.

You have to establish a community standard of expectable behaviour or one will appear on it's own. And the spontaneous ones are not nice.

Archived