Daenerys broke guest right in Astapor?

Rod123

Well in that sense, the Twins is a city, right? Where does most of the people under the Freys live?

Or Winterfell, is that just a stronghold or a city? WHere do most of the people under the Starks live (i.e. their soldiers, farmers, etc)?

There is no evidence in the books to suggest that Daenerys was a 'guest' of Astapor, (that is, in the way that Catelyn and Robb were the guests of House Frey) or that there was any sort of agreement/arrangement between the Astapori and Daenerys, that stated that the latter could not harm the former and vice versa. We don't even know if there is a form of guest right in Astapor, although there probably was.

There is no evidence in the books to suggest that Daenerys was a 'guest' of Astapor, (that is, in the way that Catelyn and Robb were the guests of House Frey) or that there was any sort of agreement/arrangement between the Astapori and Daenerys, that stated that the latter could not harm the former and vice versa. We don't even know if there is a form of guest right in Astapor, although there probably was.

There is never a "formal" agreement of not harming guests even in Westeros. It's more of an unsaid rule - common courtesy sort of thing. That is, if I understand it correctly. And I'm sure Dany was a guest because she lived there for several days (not sure the exact time but definitely more than one day) entertaining offers from the slavers. They were dicks but were still hosting her nonetheless.

Perhaps the customs are different in Essos as they are in Westeros. They keep people as slaves in Essos, a practice which is outlawed in Westeros, so it is possible that the guest right does not exist.

Guest Right is one of the those vital laws for society to begin to progress. Just like the fair treatment of heralds is nearly universally agreed upon. Dany definitely broke all forms of protocol and morals when she proceeded to wipe out Meereen, however, it seems only the Freys are hated for this.

Well in that sense, the Twins is a city, right? Where does most of the people under the Freys live?

Or Winterfell, is that just a stronghold or a city? WHere do most of the people under the Starks live (i.e. their soldiers, farmers, etc)?

Winterfell and the Twins are strictly castles, where the Houses who own them reside, commoners and the rest of the people under the jurisdiction of the Freys and Starks don't live in their respective strongholds, (except servants and such, of course). Their subjects live in the villages and towns near their castles.

No, they're just strongholds, most people under these houses live in villages near that stronghold.

There are only a couple city's in Westeros.

Guest rights, IMO, is an informal customary law that is set in superstition. As such, guest rights are far from universal, and are defined by custom and culture. Slaver's bay is not Westeros. Further, Astapor is a city, and the Twins is a Keep.

I'm not sure you could ever say that the Lannisters broke 'guest rights' in Kingslanding, after King Aerys opened the gate for them.

Also the custom is attached to the consummation of foods, and requires that one of the parties be identified as a guest, and the other as a host. If a guest is an unwelcome guest, and the host refuses to host, there are no guest rights.

This was strictly a business connection, not one of hospitality. Plus, guest right may be a Westerosi custom, not Ghiscari or Essosi. Dany's experience in the House of the Undying looks like it would be a breach to me, so I'd say it didn't exist in Essos.

Archived