On Shireen Rockface

Rhymes with Weak

Mean title, I know.

A lot of people assume that in order to revive Jon from the dead using voodoo, Mel has to sacrifice Shireen or something.

They point out that Thoros performed the "kiss of life" on Beric seven times and Beric in turn, gave up his life in order for

FrakenCat to rise from the dead.

So we've confirmed that you can give up your life to revive a person and that Thoros has a special ability called the "kiss of life" and i'm not sure if it's unique to him or all members of the order can do it. It has never been seen that you can sacrifice another unwilling participant and steal their life in order to revive a dead person so why are people so insistent on this theory?

-Do they want Mel to perform something villainous to show her true colors?

-Do they hate Shireen?

-Do they just really like Jon?

I've never understood why everyone wants to sacrifice poor Shireen, when martin could go about Jon resurrection a dozen different ways. Or just keep him dead.

I may not be the best person to chime in here, in that I don't really care about Shireen one way or the other, but I would imagine that it could be for any number of reasons; it gives her character more purpose, it gives more drama to Mel's character, it's a creative way to bring Jon back, it adds drama between Stannis and Mel, etc. if I had a choice I would keep her alive and kill Patchface's creepy ass instead, but that's just me.

Agree on the drama aspect, as well as the "give Shireen a purpose" part as well.

The other thing is that, not being GRRM, we as fans only have what he's given us to work with. From the theories I've seen that suggest Mel sacrificing Shireen, it has to do with the fact that she believes in order to create powerful magic, sacrificing those with king's blood works the best. Shireen in that sense is a natural place for Mel to turn.

Another reason, at least for people who believe that Jon is AA, is the part of the prophecy that AA will "wake dragons from stone." In such a case, the "dragon" in question would be Jon, while Shireen, suffering from grayscale, is "stone." Thus, by killing her, it wakes Jon the dragon.

I honestly don't think it's because of hating Shireen specifically, or even liking Jon specifically. It just is one of the ways fans have come up with to fulfill certain prophecies, using the chess pieces on hand.

Plus the foreshadowing of Val saying she's already dead. I don't buy into it, but it's not the most crackpot thing I've heard

Val's whole outburst was rather odd wasn't it, of course it means something to the story but I don't think it's something like that. It was one of the most spontaneous thing in ADWD.

I agree that Mel won't sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon. I do think towards the end, Mel will sacrifice Shireen when her greyscale has reactivated, to wake the stone dragon. She will convince Stannis that Shireen is dead anyway with the greyscale advancing, and they might as well use her king's blood to help Stannis fulfill his destiny as AAR and win the war.

I agree that Mel won't sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon. I do think towards the end, Mel will sacrifice Shireen when her greyscale has reactivated, to wake the stone dragon. She will convince Stannis that Shireen is dead anyway with the greyscale advancing, and they might as well use her king's blood to help Stannis fulfill his destiny as AAR and win the war.

Or she'll be immune when JonCon starts a pandemic, and outlive them all...

I would hate anything to happen to Shireen, I would not consider Jon's life well purchased or anything, but everything about her just screams "redshirt."

Also the thing with Val.

I know what it is, now that I think about it more: the link is Stannis and a desire to see him really face up to the cruelty of what he and Mel do.

I would hate anything to happen to Shireen, I would not consider Jon's life well purchased or anything, but everything about her just screams "redshirt."

Also the thing with Val.

I know what it is, now that I think about it more: the link is Stannis and a desire to see him really face up to the cruelty of what he and Mel do.

Lol... Nerd references...

Mean title, I know.

A lot of people assume that in order to revive Jon from the dead using voodoo, Mel has to sacrifice Shireen or something.

They point out that Thoros performed the "kiss of life" on Beric seven times and Beric in turn, gave up his life in order for

FrakenCat to rise from the dead.

So we've confirmed that you can give up your life to revive a person and that Thoros has a special ability called the "kiss of life" and i'm not sure if it's unique to him or all members of the order can do it. It has never been seen that you can sacrifice another unwilling participant and steal their life in order to revive a dead person so why are people so insistent on this theory?

-Do they want Mel to perform something villainous to show her true colors?

-Do they hate Shireen?

-Do they just really like Jon?

I've never understood why everyone wants to sacrifice poor Shireen, when martin could go about Jon resurrection a dozen different ways. Or just keep him dead.

I think GRRM already portrayed Melisandre as villainous.

I mean Davos saying someone is evil puts you immediately in a bad spot.

In an interview with the question "Who is the most misunderstood character" He answered: "Maybe Melisandre..

And Mel has been brought to the readers with negative first impressions.

I'm sure we won't see a villainous Mel in WOW.

Shireen had already a purpose in the story: teaching the lord of onions to read, so that he could convince Stannis going north the wall.

Lets not forget that it simply would have looked rather implausible if dutiful Stannis had no heir.

Archived