What do you think was the saddest moment from each book?

nillingar

Everything about Cat post Ned's beheading is depressing. Arya goes missing, her dad dies, her son's seemingly die, Sansa is married off to, as far as she knows a deformed sex crazed pervert and then losing Robb and her sanity, then she's comes back as a hollowed out husk only capable of hate. She's got a quote, something like "I'm so tired of being strong," she loses everything she holds dear and still, after all that grief and heartbreak, still doesn't get any peace. Her journey emotionally gutted me, I find myself not caring when sad things in the books happen after that. All I really want is revenge. I'll ride the Lady Stoneheart train to the end of the line.

So, I pretty much have the same answers as everyone, except for one...

AGOT - Ned's death

ACOK - Maester Luwin's death

ASOS - Red Wedding

AFFC - Maester Aemon dying

ADWD - JON

I, as most believe as well, do NOT think Jon is dead. STILL, that is by far the saddest moment for me. He tried so hard to do everything right and protect everyone. He tried so hard to be an honorable, loyal man of the nights watch. His own damn men betray him. On top of it, this all happens when he wants to go save "his sister". After he got stabbed when he whispers "Ghost", I couldn't take it. Another honorable mention that comes before this, is after he reads the pink letter, he thinks back on every one of his brothers and sisters...

"He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon's breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady's coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird's nest."

Then he made his decision to march on Winterfell.

That always got me.

AGOT - Ned's death.

ACOK - Cressen's thoughts about Stannis esp. that "Stannis, my lord, my sad sullen boy, son I never had..." line.

ASOS - Cat's death. And when Arya saw Nymeria dragging her mother's body out of the river.

AFFC - the Elder brother talking about the Hound

ADWD - Theon speaking to the heart tree. That whole chapter was brilliant :bowdown: Quentyn's thoughts about his father.

• 6 months later...

Honestly every POV with Arya she blames herself for pretty much everything for being scared for not being strong for running away she knows that she is just a child but all she sees is everyone she has every cared for dying.Arya's reunion with Jon better happen super early in the book and he better ruffle her hair and call her his "little sister"

“She went to the window seat and sat there, sniffling, hating them all, and herself most of all. It was all her fault, everything bad that had happened.”

Seriously. I know GRRM tends to avoid doing the obvious, but they NEED to have a reunion before the series is over.

• 9 months later...

AGOT: Ned's guilt over Lyanna, though I think Robert talking to Cersei about Lyanna in the show is sadder

ACOK: The fate of Donella Hornwood (though in the show Theon's conversations with Luwin)

ASOS: 'No, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair'

AFFC: Arya burying Needle

ADWD: Wylla Manderly talking about White Harbour's oath to the Starks

BONUS: Most happy-sad moment of the series: 'Sister. See. I knew you this time' - brb fucking bawling

Egg,I dreamed that I was Old.

'Nuff said.

For me, one of the saddest non-death moments (or at least not immediate death) was the conversation between Jaime and Tyrion as the former is helping the latter escape KL. Jaime admitting to Tyrion about Tysha was sad enough, but Tyrion saying he killed Joffrey really stuck the dagger in. For Jamie's redemption and their two character arcs to come so close to a really connection, then utterly shatter, was gut-wrenching.

AGOT: Bran and Rickon. He will never be a knight, and they will never come back.

ACOK: Catelyn's praying a the Sept. The "they are all sons" part makes me sad. Mostly because I do care about Westerosi smallfolk. As minor sadness, Davos losing his sons. Also, Bran's realization of Winterfell "it is not dead, just broken, like Bran himself". Bonus for the World book talking about how Winterfell was burned and reconstructed, giving hope.

ASOS: I am conflicted. In a happy sadness, the Liddle giving food and drink to Bran's crew without asking nothing. Westeros is so much a sad place that even the minor act of good is perceptible. Then Catelyn's dispair seeing her (believed) last living son dying, which is one of my own personal fears. Also, the travels of the Brotherhood Without Banners.

AFFC: The house of the black and white, I don't know why but it makes me sad.

ADWD: The slaves suffering, with Dany just releasing them to an even worse fate.

I am not a Cat fan, but I think "Ned loves my hair" is probably the saddest moment of the whole series so far. I was in tears.

Actually, it's weird, because the two times I remember full on crying in these books are in chapters of characters I don't even like. The aforementioned Cat moment, and then when Theon says, "You have to remember your name."

So, I pretty much have the same answers as everyone, except for one...

AGOT - Ned's death

ACOK - Maester Luwin's death

ASOS - Red Wedding

AFFC - Maester Aemon dying

ADWD - JON

I, as most believe as well, do NOT think Jon is dead. STILL, that is by far the saddest moment for me. He tried so hard to do everything right and protect everyone. He tried so hard to be an honorable, loyal man of the nights watch. His own damn men betray him. On top of it, this all happens when he wants to go save "his sister". After he got stabbed when he whispers "Ghost", I couldn't take it. Another honorable mention that comes before this, is after he reads the pink letter, he thinks back on every one of his brothers and sisters...

"He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon's breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady's coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird's nest."

Then he made his decision to march on Winterfell.

That always got me.

Are we reading about the same Jon? It is a very... romantic... view on his actions.

I'm not going to give quotes here are mine.

aGoT - Viserys sad death, he was a jerk but was made that way. Dany discribing his old boots and breeches was heart breaking to me.

ACoK - the death of Smiler, I hate animal torture more than anything in this world. The way Smiler died was so brutal & uncalled for.

ASOS - The Hounds "death", he was a broken man, made this way because of a fucked up brother. He must've had a bad childhood, and the people he tried to act normal with made him remember that he was a monster.

AFFC - Aemon's Death Nuff said.

ADWD - Theon saying "I should have died with him"

GoT - Robert ordering Lady's death and the girls' reaction. Also, Arya's guilt over chasing off Nymeria and Mycah's death

CoK - Maester Luwin's death

SoS - Red Wedding

FfC - "Egg, I dreamed I was old"

DwD - Finding Jeyne Poole curled up in a ball underneath a pile of wolfskins. "Please don't hurt me,... I'll do anything you want."

Archived