Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

I didn't know people find that absurd, since I believe anyone can be rider of Dany's lizards, only with her permission. Now, given the bad blood between Targaryens and Lannisters, and Quaithe's warning, it would be immensly stupid of her to allow him to ride a dragon...

Because some people don't like him because of various bad things he's done. Personally, I think there's lots of foreshadowing (Tyrion knows more about dragons than most anyone in the world, Tyrion knows how to design adapted saddles, Robert Arryn wanting to see the bad man fly) and I would absolutely love it if he did, just so that he could feel happy and proud about something. The dragons may belong to Dany, but she's not there to control them any more. Plus, plot wise, Tyrion needs his own way to have power in Dany's circle if he's to take his revenge.

Because some people don't like him because of various bad things he's done. Personally, I think there's lots of foreshadowing (Tyrion knows more about dragons than most anyone in the world, Tyrion knows how to design adapted saddles, Robert Arryn wanting to see the bad man fly) and I would absolutely love it if he did, just so that he could feel happy and proud about something. The dragons may belong to Dany, but she's not there to control them any more. Plus, plot wise, Tyrion needs his own way to have power in Dany's circle if he's to take his revenge.

:agree:

Because Tyrion being a dragon rider often ties into the theory that he is Aerys' son, and like every theory this has proponents and detractors. And detractors often resort to dismissing theories they don't like as "absurd" (while proponents often vindicate them as "obviously true", so I am not saying one side is worse than the other)

I think a portion of ASOIAF fans hate the fantasy aspect of the series. Tyrions part in his first battle caught a lot of ridicule from this camp of fans.

I'm kind of in this camp. While i don't hate the fantasy aspects, i don't enjoy them nearly as much as the realpolitik conniving. I also don't read any fantasy besides asoiaf.

That said, tyrion will definitely have SOMETHING to do with the dragons. I just don't think he'll ride one.

The mental image isnt one that conjures up badassery. It conjures up Beyond Ridiculous not just because hes a dwarf, but because hes just so ill suited for it. Hes pretty shit on a battlefield but on a dragon? Ummm...lol

Also this would give too much credence to that stupid Tyrion is a Targ theory.:ack:

I'm fine with Tyrion riding a dragon...

...as long as it's the same one Theon shoots out of the sky with a Weirwood Arrow :devil:

Also this would give too much credence to that stupid Tyrion is a Targ theory. :ack:

Oy gevalt. Supporting that theory would be the worst part about Tyrion Dragonriding.

His main problem on the battlefield are his physical limits, esp considering he never has any decent appropriate ly sized armour or weopons. On a dragon, some of that is resolved. And where better to survey the battlefield and make tactical decisions?

The mental image isnt one that conjures up badassery. It conjures up Beyond Ridiculous not just because hes a dwarf, but because hes just so ill suited for it. .......

But that's exactly the point!

In Martin's story eople grow above themselves, doing things no one expected them to, things they are ill suited for. The thirteen year old conqueror may be beyond ridiculous as well.

And I do not care if there is any conventional badassery in it, the badass characters are not those who develop, they come into their world as Indiana Joneses, I want those who do the great stuff not because but despite.....

Every (highborn) character in the series is most likely some percentage of Targaryen. That being said, Tyrion WILL ride a dragon, and he IS one of the heads of the dragon. Jon Snow, Dany, and Tyrion all have something in common. Something they share in common with Azor Ahai. That would be..."killing the woman they love." Each one of their mother's died in childbirth. If that isn't enough for you, please recall Ygritte, Khal Drogo (allow for "genderless dragons" please) and Tysha. I know this theory will/does get a lot of hate, but...

Archived