Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

No. Tyrion's "badassery" lies elsewhere and GRRM has already established this. Every character has their own brand of badassery. Sansa is badass at Politeness Judo, Arya is badass at stealthily murdering, Dany is badass for dragons and conquering, Jon is badass for existing, etc and so forth. Tyrion's badassery lies with his wits. It would be really dumb and actually do more harm than good for his character to plant his ass on a dragon.

LOLZ...but exactly right.

It is surely wrong to say a dwarf couldn't ride a dragon or fight in a battle. It's prejudice against dwarves. A dwarf could win a fight against a regular man. To say Tyrion would be ridiculous on a dragon is to see him as a joke- because he's a dwarf. This cannot be morally correct.

Nothing to do with him being a dwarf. Everything to do with him being a man who survives by wits, not by wielding weapons, dragons or otherwise. He pays others to fight for him, it would just be so out of character for him to ride one. might as well have Littlefinger ride one too.

I could completely see him helping someone else understand the nature of dragons and assist them in their attempt to ride a dragon. Seems logical that he would assist Aegon with this.

No. Tyrion's "badassery" lies elsewhere and GRRM has already established this. Every character has their own brand of badassery. Sansa is badass at Politeness Judo, Arya is badass at stealthily murdering, Dany is badass for dragons and conquering, Jon is badass for existing, etc and so forth. Tyrion's badassery lies with his wits. It would be really dumb and actually do more harm than good for his character to plant his ass on a dragon.

You're pretty much reading my mind here Flo, spot on.

Tyrion told us he uses his mind as a weapon and that's what he should do. It's great that he can show us how this is just as badass in a martial culture where men are rated on their ability to swing a sword. He doesn't need to ride a dragon too.

Tyrion's greatest strength is his mind, I agree, but it's his intelligence that could enable him to ride a dragon (he's studied this). If a dragon is like a nuclear weapon, he'd be like the nuclear scientist who figured out how to take one away from the government. Intelligence is great. But in the Game of Thrones, intelligence is only as valuable as the power it lets you gain. Tyrion's intelligence was what won him Bronn and the Mountain Clans, as well as the Second Sons. Tyrion has always used his mind to gather weapons and fighters. Does it matter if that weapon is a dragon instead of a mercenary troop?

Tyrion's greatest strength is his mind, I agree, but it's his intelligence that could enable him to ride a dragon (he's studied this). If a dragon is like a nuclear weapon, he'd be like the nuclear scientist who figured out how to take one away from the government. Intelligence is great. But in the Game of Thrones, intelligence is only as valuable as the power it lets you gain. Tyrion's intelligence was what won him Bronn and the Mountain Clans, as well as the Second Sons. Tyrion has always used his mind to gather weapons and fighters. Does it matter if that weapon is a dragon instead of a mercenary troop?

Great point. Honestly, I don't care if he does ride a dragon or not, but I don't see why he can't do it. That's part of his skill set; he knows about dragons, he builds saddles, he's a strategist, clever, etc. If Martin wants that to be what it takes to ride a dragon, then Tyrion can ride a dragon. We don't know the "rules" yet.

It is surely wrong to say a dwarf couldn't ride a dragon or fight in a battle. It's prejudice against dwarves. A dwarf could win a fight against a regular man. To say Tyrion would be ridiculous on a dragon is to see him as a joke- because he's a dwarf. This cannot be morally correct.

I agree with you. Not everyone, but some people are just making fun of dwarfs which is ridiculous.

Also, being a dwarf might not alway be a combat disadvantage--men are trained to fight men whose chests (vulnerable areas) are at the same level of their arms. An attack to the legs can kill a man, but few men are expecting it. On the Blackwater, Tyrion had armor and a good horse, things many of the men he slew lacked. Yes, he has some plot armor, but not much more than other characters. So much of combat is based on luck and surprise, not nessesarily size or strength, and facing something different can be the death of an experienced solidier.

because they have not seen this review.

. http://www.tor.com/b...-and-the-greens

Beyond all these little bits of Westerosi history repeating, we also get our first real glimpse of dragon-centric warfare, along with the problem of finding able riders. Since dragons will only accept and bond with riders of Targaryen blood, the story chronicles the search for bastard-born “dragonseeds” to join the fray (with mixed results)—a subplot which clearly holds some potential relevance for Daenerys and her trio of dragons as events continue to unfold in the novels

Ok! now we know that the grey joy captain has know chance of stealing Dany's dragons. That Tyrions chances just doubled, and maybe that Aegon has a chance being a bastard oh boy here we Go. Also this means Jon has a great chance of riding a Dragon of some kind.

I can see Tyrion riding a pig and a dog, but not a Dragon.

He's a dwarf, his presence is meant to amuse people not to impose respect.

He is beyond any doubt very smart and wise, but that doesn't make him a warrior that rides a Dragon out of an imp.

Did you seriously write that dwarves are meant only to amuse people? Aside from the fact that is totally prejudiced, Tyrion has imposed respect on many people over the series. Ask Varys, Pycelle, or Janos Slynt.

Exactly! A dragon is the idea of beauty and majesty, compared to that any human being, even the ones with the longest legs and broadest shoulders, are nothing but poor little imperfect critters. :) being a dwarf makes no difference at all here.

This is an incredibly boring stereotypel! Tyrion's character is meant to turn tropes upside down, people who want Tyrion to be the comic relief of the books without development misunderstand Martin's intentions.

Did you seriously write that dwarves are meant only to amuse people? Aside from the fact that is totally prejudiced, Tyrion has imposed respect on many people over the series. Ask Varys, Pycelle, or Janos Slynt.

This is not prejudged, this is an opinion.

In ASOIAF it is Tyrion himselves who constantly recalls to himself how - if he wouldn't have been a Lannister - he would have been a dead man or like Penny, a dwarf meant to amuse people.

Not only that. He actually exploits his appearance - that naturally inspires laugh in people - to ridicolize himself with his own cunning and smart abilities and gain sympathy from people in more than one situations.

- when he is in Lisa's justice court

- when he is in the forest with the savages

- when he pushes people in KL to fight with him

- when he insults Joffrei

- and so on

AFAIK GRRM wants to give us a description of a world with this prejudge, with people being prone to laugh at a dwarf and not respect it.

Also, he can barely sit on a Horse - he needs a special saddle - how would you want him to ride a Dragon?

More than scary, he would be amusing and funny. And most of all, he would be out of character. He is the smart one, not the warrior.

He is beyond any doubt very smart and wise, but that doesn't make him a warrior that rides a Dragon out of an imp.

You do realize that there may be people reading this who are little people? Dwarfs exist in real life too, so try to be respectful please. This whole thread is full of offensive comments, but I think you just won the prize.

Janos and Pycelle respected Tyrion... I guess I missed that... But I do agree that assessment in which dwarves serve for amusement is completly wrong.

Brilliantly said, my friend... Just like AM, I really liked your idea of Sansa's badassery...

I think Tyrion should ride a dragon, he often uses his absurdity as his weapon. He'd do it because he knows who ridiculous it would seem to his late father, and if Tyrion has a hobby beyond drinking and womanising, it's pissing off Lord Tywin and Cersei and basically anybody else who writes his off as failure or freak. Tyrion wouldn't need to be a warrior to ride or fight with a dragon, you've got a massive, flying, fire breathing, razor toothed lizard at your command, who cares what size you are or whether or not you're handy with a sword. Besides, if Tyrion is that good a military strategist, he'd have a huge advantage of being able to see the battlefield from above.

Archived