Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

:agree:

It's why people would hate it if Jon became KITN or got the Iron Throne or Dany conquered Westeros with her dragons and got the Iron throne. And the standard excuse for why all this is disliked is that 'it's cliche'. Certain characters have been set up right from the start to do certain things and disliking them is not going to change where their story arc is going.

Tyrion riding a dragon is more plausible at this stage than Sansa becoming a player which seems to be a favorite theory around here.

How?

Because there is nothing that points to Sansa becoming a player other than Littlefinger helping her figure out how he outwitted the Lords of the Vale that one time? Sansa has not demonstrated that she is overly clever or witty in any way and her achievment to date seems to be getting a sick little boy out of bed and getting him to eat his dinner.

While there are no outward hints about Tyrion riding a dragon, his fascination with the creatures, his heading towards Dany and his position in the story as a central character could lead to him having a chance at riding one of those beasts. It may not happen. But like I said, in my opinion, I see a greater chance of Tyrion possibly riding one than Sansa becoming a player in the game of thrones.

Because there is nothing that points to Sansa becoming a player other than Littlefinger helping her figure out how he outwitted the Lords of the Vale that one time? Sansa has not demonstrated that she is overly clever or witty in any way and her achievment to date seems to be getting a sick little boy out of bed and getting him to eat his dinner.

While there are no outward hints about Tyrion riding a dragon, his fascination with the creatures, his heading towards Dany and his position in the story as a central character could lead to him having a chance at riding one of those beasts. It may not happen. But like I said, in my opinion, I see a greater chance of Tyrion possibly riding one than Sansa becoming a player in the game of thrones.

He likes Dragons, the most powerful creatures in his world. That is not foreshadowing, that's simply him liking what every other boy in Westeros likes. Penny is heading towards Dany, is she going to be a Dragon rider? Arya is a central character, why can't she ride a dragon? Because it wouldn't make sense for her to do so and it would ruin the character that people have grown to love. It's the same with Tyrion, he has never achieved his goals by brute strength and Dragons are brute strength incarnate in his world.

I think a portion of ASOIAF fans hate the fantasy aspect of the series. Tyrions part in his first battle caught a lot of ridicule from this camp of fans.

yes he isn't a "fantasy dwarf" a.k.a short bearded muscled badasses he is a "regular dwarf" a.k.a human born vertically challenged the battle prowess of this guy is ridiculous he is a stunted tiny tiny dude.

I don't see why Tyrion's build is an issue. Dany is (as she keeps reminding us) just a young girl and she seems able to ride her dragon quite well. But even if she was a burly six-footer the dragon would still be pretty hard to control, so I don't think physical attributes are key; it's more a case of mind over monster IMO.

Tyrion being a Targ is WAAAAY more believable than Tyrion being able to ride out in battle at the siege of Blackwater and suddenly start dispatching enemies left and right, but somehow no-one seems to have an issue with that... :dunno:

I certainly took issue with his battle prowess. Everytime I've reread the Green Fork and Blackwater battle, I keep thinking, George, I get that Tyrion is your favorite character, he's mine too, but COME ON!

Which is why I'm not a fan of Tyrion being a secret Targ or a dragonrider. Either of those, compounded with Tyrion's high intelligence, battle prowess and his extreme luck (yes, he is lucky, consider all the crap he's survived) would just make it harder to suspend disbelief. I don't want Tyrion to become ASoIaF's Batman.

I think it ironic that more people find it plausible that Tyrion is one of the three heads of the Dragon than Aegon being legitimate.

I remember the last character with non Targ blood that attempted to mount a dragon. He was fried.

Yes, but it didn't help him at all, as he was fried for his efforts.

Quentyn was fried because he stupidly tried to control TWO dragons, something even Aegon the Conqueror couldn't do and something Dany specifically warned him against.

Tyrion might become a dragonrider, simply because he may be the only person around the dragons with knowledge of how the dragon-binding ritual worked. Some Targaryen blood would seem to be required; however, this is in no way dependent on Tyrion being Aerys II's bastard son. Some Lannister may have married a Targaryen in the past, and that would give Tyrion enough dragon blood to pull it off. (To be specific, either Daella or Rae, Egg's sisters, may have married Tytos' father. We don't know.)

GRRM is keeping us in suspense, and he is in a position to do so successfully. Live with it (until the next book comes out.)

Archived