Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

Jon Snow, Dany and Tyrion all riding dragons, being awesome and saving the realm.

Please tell me when in the series has something like this ever happened?

I agree, in that I don't think Jon will ride a dragon. (What will Ghost do while Jon is riding a dragon? If Jon is busy, will Ghost ride the dragon?)

Bran is Ice. (The Starks were Kings of Winter.)

Dany is Fire. (Obvious)

Jon is Ice and Fire. He must mediate between Ice and Fire.

The dragon has three heads, so the fire aspect is represented by Dany and two subordinates. Candidates include Tyrion, Jaime, and Cersei (if certain paternity theories are true), Stannis, Shireen, Edric, Gendry, Mya, Brown Ben Plumm, all Martells (and Martell bastards), and anyone else who might have some dragon blood. The dragons recognized Quentyn as having dragon blood, and they liked Ben. Neither had much dragon blood, only a bit. Oh, and Young Griff if he's legit. Maybe Rennifer Longwaters, also.

edited for spelling

I agree, in that I don't think Jon will ride a dragon. (What will Ghost do while Jon is riding a dragon? If Jon is busy, will Ghost ride the dragon?)

Bran is Ice. (The Starks were Kings of Winter.)

Dany is Fire. (Obvious)

Jon is Ice and Fire. He must mediate between Ice and Fire.

The dragon has three heads, so the fire aspect is represented by Dany and two subordinates. Candidates include Tyrion, Jaime, and Cersei (if certain paternity theories are true), Stannis, Shireen, Edric, Gendry, Mya, Brown Ben Plumm, all Martells (and Martell bastards), and anyone else who might have some dragon blood. The dragons recognized Quentyn as having dragon blood, and they liked Ben. Neither had much dragon blood, only a bit. Oh, and Young Griff if he's legit. Maybe Rennifer Longwaters, also.

edited for spelling

or even a blackfire.

Jon Snow, Dany and Tyrion all riding dragons, being awesome and saving the realm.

Please tell me when in the series has something like this ever happened?

The dragons will not save the realm, but devastate it. But yes, there will be more dragons and more dragon-riders.

I do not think Tyrion's role with dragons is to ride them.

I agree with the point that it would be much less ridiculous than Sansa becoming a player.

She could tell a few kind lies, tell someone to kill the creepy lord protector and become a lovable queen but it would take at least 5 more books to realistically make someone like her a player.

Because it would be the ultimate wish fulfillment and validation for him and I as a reader don't think that he deserves a bit of it. He's incredibly ill-suited to be a dragon rider not because of his physical features, but because he's a vengeful, petty, small-minded asshole who would revel in the power that bonding with the dragon would give him and unleash even more death, devastation and suffering on people for his own gain and satisfaction. I don't want either of Greyjoy brothers to bond with a dragon either and the idea of anyone using Dany's absence to tame any one of her dragons and then basically force themselves into her inner circle pisses me off, though I am far from being a fan of hers. I would be the happiest ASOIAF fan ever if Viserion and Rhaegal just set Tyrion's and Victarion's asses on fire, but since Tyrion has plot armour, I would be content with only Victarion becoming a dragon snack and Tyrion being rejected by both dragons and having to act as the dragon lore adviser/saddle designer while not being a rider.

It seems like one needs Targ blood to ride a dragon, meaning that unless the Tyrion = Targ theory is true, Tyrion is out of luck. It almost sounds like absent some magical dragonbinding device, he's not even going to be able to get near them without Targ blood, let alone ride them.

Because it would be the ultimate wish fulfillment and validation for him

Well, no. That would be Lord of Casterly Rock with Tysha by his side. Tyrion's way more interested in that than dragons. Riding a dragon is just...riding a dragon.

He's incredibly ill-suited to be a dragon rider not because of his physical features, but because he's a vengeful, petty, small-minded asshole who would revel in the power that bonding with the dragon would give him and unleash even more death, devastation and suffering on people for his own gain and satisfaction.

This is kind of a dumb argument. What do you think the words "Fire and blood" even mean, exactly? Past dragonriders in wartime were not humanitarians on dragonback by any stretch of the imagination, and they used the dragons as weapons to fight and to unleash death, devastation, and suffering on people--sometimes lots of people--to conquer, win wars, and obtain power: in other words, for their own "gain and satisfaction." Why do you think Aegon and his sisters conquered Westeros and killed thousands of people with their dragons, to improve the lot of the common people? Out of the goodness of their hearts? Why do you think the first Dance of the Dragons was fought, because Aegon and Rhaenyra disagreed as to how best to prevent famine in the smallfolk? I mean, really, now. The Targs wanted the throne, and they used their dragons and killed whomever they had to to get it. The winner of the first dance fed the loser to his own dragon. Doesn't that sound "vengeful, petty, and small-minded" to you? It's the sort of thing Tyrion might very well do to Cersei if he gets the opportunity

Tyrion may be a petty, small-minded, amoral asshole who would leverage a dragon for his own benefit to achieve his own ambitions and cause untold death and destruction to do it, but guess what? That makes him no different from every other major Targ dragonrider in past wars that we know of. They were many things, but they were not nice people who were "worthy" of riding a dragon. Nor does Dany's "niceness" make her worthier of riding a dragon; in fact, riding Drogon and bonding with him seems to cement her resolve to reject her peace-seeking approach in favour of "Dragons plant no trees" and "Fire and blood." Doesn't sound very "nice" to me, and it's not, because Targs aren't "nice."

Yeah sure why not, it's like Dany can ride three dragons at once (no sexual innuendo's please). Of course he can't just be given permission to ride the Dragon, Tyrion will have to out smart the Dragon and have conversation with it involving him being a Lannister, the gold of Casterly Rock, his evil sister, a game AOIAF chess, him saying where do whores go half a dozen times to himself, a coin toss, a cross bow, a back flip, two eels and a song. Then the dragon will realize how stupid it is and insist that Tyrion ride him and do anyting Tyrion asks of him.

Because he can barely ride a horse.

Hmm...unfortunate...if only he had some skill that would enable him to design a saddle to accommodate him...if only he had some experience with designing said saddles in the past...Oh, well! Guess he's out of luck.

Yes. Totally. With any luck he'll try and will fall off.

Hahaha. I can imagine Tyrion's last words being "I REGRET NOTHING!" as he plummets through the air, like that episode of The Simpsons.

Hmm...unfortunate...if only he had some skill that would enable him to design a saddle to accommodate him...if only he had some experience with designing said saddles in the past...Oh, well! Guess he's out of luck.

Indeed, if only he could make a giant saddle...If only he could withstand their speed without being overwhelmed...Hmm....A shame.

Because it would be the ultimate wish fulfillment and validation for him and I as a reader don't think that he deserves a bit of it. He's incredibly ill-suited to be a dragon rider not because of his physical features, but because he's a vengeful, petty, small-minded asshole who would revel in the power that bonding with the dragon would give him and unleash even more death, devastation and suffering on people for his own gain and satisfaction. I don't want either of Greyjoy brothers to bond with a dragon either and the idea of anyone using Dany's absence to tame any one of her dragons and then basically force themselves into her inner circle pisses me off, though I am far from being a fan of hers. I would be the happiest ASOIAF fan ever if Viserion and Rhaegal just set Tyrion's and Victarion's asses on fire, but since Tyrion has plot armour, I would be content with only Victarion becoming a dragon snack and Tyrion being rejected by both dragons and having to act as the dragon lore adviser/saddle designer while not being a rider.

Yeah sure why not, it's like Dany can ride three dragons at once (no sexual innuendo's please). Of course he can't just be given permission to ride the Dragon, Tyrion will have to out smart the Dragon and have conversation with it involving him being a Lannister, the gold of Casterly Rock, his evil sister, a game AOIAF chess, him saying where do whores go half a dozen times to himself, a coin toss, a cross bow, a back flip, two eels and a song. Then the dragon will realize how stupid it is and insist that Tyrion ride him and do anyting Tyrion asks of him.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: To both of these.

Dudes, it's obvious what's going to happen. Victation will capture Tyrion, and force him to blow the dragon-horn, rather than wasting a good warrior. It only remains to be seen what the results of this will be ...

tyrion's head will explode and millions of snarks* will crawl out.

snarks are the size of ants.

I don't understand all the people using he can't ride a horse as a reason he can't be a dragon rider. If he can craft a saddle that allows a boy who can't feel his legs to not fall off his horse, why couldn't he make one very similar for a dragon?

I don't understand all the people using he can't ride a horse as a reason he can't be a dragon rider. If he can craft a saddle that allows a boy who can't feel his legs to not fall off his horse, why couldn't he make one very similar for a dragon?

Have you ever seen a cripple or a dwarf riding a dragon with a saddle?

Dragons are fierce and almighty creatures, doesn't it sound ridiculous to put a saddle for cripples over them?

I thought ASOIAF was great for being amazingly realistic in the way it lets his characters advance in the story, in the way there is no super-hero capable of doing anythin and rising from poverty up to the IT.. ..yet many of you insist that a Dwarf - who does not naturally belong to the warriors - would rise from being a smart and wise councillor to a great and skilled dragon rider that will bring death all over his enemies.. this is a fantasy clique, therefore it sounds so ridiculous within ASOIAF that I can barely avoid to laugh.

Yes.. let the dwarf ride the dragon..

..then let Jon Snow sit on the Iron Throne..

..then let Sansa find her peace and love, Arya kill all her enemies and survive, Rickon survive and become Lord of Winterfell..

..Daenerys marry Jon Targaryen, Aegon survive and marry Arianne..

..the North arise as a new Kingdom, all the frey being killed and the damned Lannister die altogether except the nice and smart Tyrion who deserves to start the reign of dwarfs in Casterly Rock after freeing Westeros from White Walkers at the back of his Dragon and being recognized as the greatest hero ever after Jon Targaryen..

..everything will be fine, good people will arise and bad people will die or end up in disgrace..

..totally the way in which ASOIAF works.

The Dwarf is the smart guy, let him stay in his role. He does not need to ride a dragon to be great.

Not having a saddle would severely limit the dragons ability to maneuver. You could potentially fall off during any hard bank or roll, regardless of your size. A saddle that straps you in, such as the one Tyrion made for Bran, just makes the most sense in combat.

EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not advocating a Tyrion dragon rider scenario, I'm indifferent. But I do feel that's the way the story is going, everything is falling into place too nicely.

Archived