Meyers-Briggs Personality Types and ASoIaF

Hey all!

This is my first big-kid post so go easy on me. I am sure this has been done before, but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks. I just finished reading the Divergent series and have been thinking a lot about personality types, and I have always thought that the Meyers-Briggs is the closest we get in modern psychology to a map of possible human personalities. Sure, I agree that personalities are more complex than this and oftentimes are affected by external evens which shape people's behavior far more than an innate persona. But, still, it's interesting to think about.

So, there are 16 Meyers-Briggs types:

They are based on several dichotomies- Extroverted v. Introverted (whether you prefer your inner or outer world), Sensing v. Intuition (how you gather information), Thinking v. Feeling (how you make decisions), and Judging v. Perceiving (how you interact with the outside world).

More info here- http://www.myersbriggs.org. I will give a rundown of the types but you can find more there. I am giving brief summaries which aren't entirely accurate because I am not a professional so look to the website for any questions.

Of the 16 types, the "Caregiver" or ESFJ is the most common. This individual is conservative, respects social norms, and enjoys taking care of other people. They like to be seen as the adult in the room, and sometimes even gain satisfaction from the gratitude others show for their caregiving.

Meera Reed might be one of these. Lysa Tully also might have been one of these. But, she's cray now so who knows...

The next most common is the ISFJ or "Nurturer." They fulfill a similar role in their interactions with others. However, their "mothering" qualities have less to do with receiving the attention and more to do with duty. They like to be told, however, when they are doing things right.

Catelyn Tully, is definitely a Nurturer.

Next, are the ISTJs, the "Duty Fulfillers." Who are also motivated by duty. They are logical and rational counterparts to the ISFJ who strive for order and security above all else.

I believe that Ned Stark is the quintessential ISTF. So are Davos Seaworth and Barristan Selmy.

ESTJs or "Guardians" are the fourth most common. These people are a little more active in their enforcement of security and order. They are pragmatists who live in a world of concrete facts. They have difficulty with empathy, believing that reducing human suffering can be reduced to addressing needs and wants systematically.

The Hound was probably one of these.

ISFPs are fairly common as well. These people are called "The Artist" because of their focus on the act of creation. They are very reserved and even solitary and have a finely tuned sense of aesthetics and beauty. They enjoy the finer things in life.

Sansa Stark is an ISFP, at least at the beginning. Although, she becomes a little bit more like her mother later.

ESFPs are called the "Performer." Many actors, actresses, and surprisingly public servants fall into this category. They enjoy the attention of others and are among those who relish performing their identity in order to receive it. They love drama, but this can actually lead to them playing the role of intermediary.

Renly Baratheon was certainly an ESFP.

The ENFP, or "Inspirer" is similar. These are charismatic people who use their interaction with the outside world to instill their sense of awe and wonder about all of life's possibilities in others.

I think that Arianne Martell is probably this type.

The ISTP is the first of the "uncommon" archetypes. Called "The Mechanic," this person retreats into their head to solve problems logically and rationally. They are highly beholden to personal codes and like to believe in a natural order to the universe. These people are very "black and white" in their thinking.

I believe that Brienne of Tarth is an ISTP. I think that Stannis Baratheon is an ISTP gone overboard. Robb Stark may have been one of these. But, I really don't know.

The INFP or "Idealist" is a perfectionist who uses their intuition to dream of ways to better human life. They are intellectually oriented, conflict avoidant, and sometimes can have a difficult time accepting the hardships of reality.

Sam Tarly is the most INFP of the characters we've encountered. I am having a hard time with whether Jon Snow is an INFP or ISTP,

The ESTP or "Doer" is the person who is most likely to grab the bull by the horns. They are uncanny in their ability to plan, plot, and scheme. However, they have a difficult time with patience or waiting to take action.

I think that Arya Stark is an ESTP. So was Theon Greyjoy, but his personality has been changed by trauma. Joffrey was also probably an ESTP. Lyanna Stark seems to have been one of these, and probably her brother Brandon as well. Ramsay Snow/Bolton seems to be another likely ESTP. If you're looking for a more positive character like this, I'd say Loras Tyrell.

The ENTP is called the "Visionary." They have a remarkable ability to read other people, empathize with them, and understand them both intellectually and emotionally. They have little interest in developing schemes, plots, or plans. They are more interested in developing ideas and concepts.

Tyrion Lannister is the most ENTP character I can think of.

The ENFJ, or "Giver" is the one that I personally have the most admiration for/find the most exotic. These are people who are focused on creating possibilities for others. They love to interact with people, learn their stories, and create possibilities for them.

Melisandre is the closest we come to an ENFJ.

The INTJ, or "Scientist" is the one that I suspect most people admire the most. They value intelligence and competence above all else. They focus their energy on strategizing, planning, and researching. They tend to be the group most opposed to my own (see below), but they are highly necessary because they are the kind of people who plan civilization and its continuation.

Tywin Lannister was an INTJ. Roose Bolton was also probably an INTJ. I think Jorah Mormont might also be one of these. And, Jon Arryn, probably was as well. Doran Martell and Varys probably belong in this category. Littlefinger maybe? But, he seems like an extrovert... Asha Greyjoy? The story is really built on these characters' backs.

The ENTJ is called the "Executive." These people are born-leaders. They are the second rarest personality type. They are rational and competent and have little patience for inefficiency. My best friend is an ENTJ and can be very difficult when it comes to getting her to see others' point of view.

Cersei Lannister is an ENTJ gone wrong. As is her former husband Robert Baratheon. So was Viserys Targaryen. A lot of the ENTJs we have seen were not very well portrayed.

The INFJ is the rarest. Incidentally, it's the only one that I can explain very well because it's what I am. INFJs are creative and often have their heads in the clouds. Coupled with their insistence on their own strict moral code, INFJs sometimes ignore the opinions of others. Curiously enough, they also are the most intuitive and understand other peoples' opinions and emotions easier than any other personality type. This results in a strange personality dissonance I can't really put to words.

Bran Stark is probably the only character we've encountered of this type. Although, I suspect that Rhaegar Targaryen was also likely an INFJ (a slightly insane one).

Feel free to correct me/add your opinion etc.? Also, I am curious as to what other fans MB types are. And, I had no idea where Daenerys Targaryen should go....

Interesting analysis. We used to have to do Meyers-Briggs tests for school, where I was an ISTJ.

You seemed to have correctly pegged many characters. However, with your ENTJ, where you list Cersei, Robert and Viserys, you describe the type as rational and competent, with little patience for inefficiency. It seems that these three are only the last thing, and severely lack the first two. But altogether, nice analysis.

Interesting analysis. We used to have to do Meyers-Briggs tests for school, where I was an ISTJ.

You seemed to have correctly pegged many characters. However, with your ENTJ, where you list Cersei, Robert and Viserys, you describe the type as rational and competent, with little patience for inefficiency. It seems that these three are only the last thing, and severely lack the first two. But altogether, nice analysis.

Robert is most certainly an FP ... possibly an ESFP - extroverted, sensing, feeling, perceiving. TJs are defined by being logical and organized/planners, which is certainly contradictory to who Robert is. Robert is much more someone who goes along with his own feelings - spontaneous and a little irresponsible.

Cersei is an FJ I think - she likes to think she is a T, but is actually an F, someone governed by her emotions.

Dany is also an F but an F with strong T traits.

Thank you.

I suppose, my rational for putting Cersei and Viserys there is that they think that that other people are being incompetent and view themselves as being right. The only problem is that their rationality is flawed because they both exhibit symptoms of delusional disorders. I don't think that GRRM has a high opinion of people people in this personality type, so I struggle to find one that is actually a successful example of this type.

Robert is definitely not here... But, I don't know where he should go. As for Daenerys, I agree that she is an F, and quite probably an N. But, I get lost from there.

Tyrion Lannister is the most ENTP character I can think of.

Oh, hell yes. ENTP to the bone.

I'd agree that Tywin and Roose are INTJs. Littlefinger is also an INTJ in all likelihood, although he seems to have too much polish and charm for that; his backstory also reeks of the disappointed idealist (NF), so maybe he's an INFJ gone bad.

And, I had no idea where Daenerys Targaryen should go....

ENFJ or ENFP, I'd say.

As is her former husband Robert Baratheon.

Nah, Robert Baratheon's an ESFP: his jovial, pleasure-seeking side gives it away. Also, at the risk of stereotyping, NTs tend to be highly intelligent (stereotypical INTJ Tywin, stereotypical ENTP Tyrion, etc.); Robert is not.

Oh, hell yes. ENTP to the bone.

I'd agree that Tywin and Roose are INTJs. Littlefinger is also an INTJ in all likelihood, although he seems to have too much polish and charm for that; his backstory also reeks of the disappointed idealist (NF), so maybe he's an INFJ gone bad.

ENFJ or ENFP, I'd say.

Nah, Robert Baratheon's an ESxP: his pleasure-seeking side gives it away.

Oooooh I like Daenerys for ENFJ.

Ned's the stereotypical ISTJ, I think: sober, serious, quiet, loyal, focused on duty. Agree with OP on this one.

Sansa's a bit trickier. ISFP or ISFJ is probably right, though. The introvert/extrovert distinction is difficult, since she spends so much time in artificial isolation after AGOT, and not by choice.

All the badass warrior types are SPs of some description or another, I think: Loras, Brienne, Arya, Asha, Robert, Brandon Stark, etc.

If I had to guess for Cersei, I'd peg her as an ESFJ (she's way too ruled by her emotions to be a T). On the personalitypage.com website, look at the following list of typical weaknesses shown by ESFJs:

May be unable to correctly judge what really is for the best

May become spiteful and extremely intractable in the face of clear, logical reasoning

May be unable to shrug off feelings that others are not "good people"

May be unable to acknowledge anything that goes against their certainty about the "correct" or "right" way to do things

May attribute their own problems to arbitrary and unprovable notions about the way people "ought" to behave

May be at a loss when confronted with situations that require basic technical expertise or clear thinking

May be oblivious to all but their own viewpoint, valuing their own viewpoint, valuing their own certainties to the exclusion of others

May be unable to understand verbal logic, and quickly cut off other's explanations

May be falsely certain of the true needs and feeling of others

May be extremely vulnerable to superstitions, religious cults, and media manipulation

May react too quickly and too emotionally in a situation better dealt with in a more pragmatic fashion

Sound familiar? :D

Actually, the list of "weaknesses" helps us peg some of the other characters to a tee.

Here's one for ENTPs (Tyrion Lannister), bolding the ones that really hit home:

The inability to maintain a comfortable situation or relationship once its possibilities have been realized or exhausted.

A tendency to consider careful or meticulous thinkers as unworthy plodders or time wasters.

Blindness to the needs and feelings of others not directly involved in the ENTP's current area of interest.

A lack of sensitivity to the feelings and ways of those who might need reassurance, security or commitment.

The inability to deal carefully and calmly with the finer details of a situation or work in progress.

Tendency to become overly annoyed by minor setbacks or small things that have to be set right before the goal can be realized.

A tendency to be arrogant or boastful, or to demean those who cannot see the same answers.

Can often find themselves in bad situations by too quickly taking a big step forward or by being "too smart for their own good".

Hahahaha!

It's funny that the four main categories seem to encompass different types under the Myers-Briggs system:

Warriors: SPs (Loras, Robert, Asha, Brandon Stark, Arya, Jaime, Brienne, Gregor, etc.)

Players: NTs (Littlefinger, Varys, Tywin, Roose, Tyrion, Olenna)

"Spiritual"/magic types: NFs (Melisandre, Dany, Bran, etc.)

Female characters: SJs (Catelyn, Cersei, Meera, Lysa, Sansa, etc.), although there are male SJs (Ned, Davos, Barristan, etc.) and female non-SJs

It seems like the truly powerful movers and shakers in ASOIAF are either NFs (being allied with magic or with spiritual leadership) or NTs (being the masterminds), with the SPs and SJs being their tools or pawns for the most part.

As for Jon Snow, I'd peg him as INxJ of some kind. Probably NF, like Dany.

His real pops. I see it more after he becomes LC of the NW.

Oh man, I'm so dumb. Yes, he is probably a bit like Rhaegar. I sense that Rhaegar leans a little more F than Jon. Jon might be an INTJ.

The gendered aspect is very interesting. There are quite more women in the "servant" (SJ) archetypes. I wonder if the pressures of a patriarchal society are part of the reason why though...

Also, I get the feeling that GRRM has more respect for Introverts than Extroverts, given that far more introverted characters are portrayed positively. I can't think of any super "villainous" Is, except maybe Mel. And, she gets more likable later in the books.

The gendered aspect is very interesting. There are quite more women in the "servant" (SJ) archetypes. I wonder if the pressures of a patriarchal society are part of the reason why though...

Well, the classic SJ is duty-oriented, family-oriented, service-oriented, etc. etc...other-oriented, in a nutshell. Small wonder that a patriarchal society like Westeros would churn out a ton of them, with the odd SPs (Asha, Brienne, Arya) sticking out like sore thumbs. Of course, a lot of the men are subject to the same pressures, meaning that Westeros produces a lot of men like that as well: Ned, Davos, Barristan, Jon Arryn, etc.

As for the lack of NT women...there's been commentary about the books being full of exceptionally intelligent male characters but lacking a similar number of exceptionally intelligent female characters, and this seems to be reflected in the lack of NT women. NT is a relatively rare type, but there seems to be a disproportionate number of NT male characters in the books, and virtually no NT women to speak of (Olenna, maybe, and I'm not sure that's the right place for her).

Also, I get the feeling that GRRM has more respect for Introverts than Extroverts, given that far more introverted characters are portrayed positively. I can't think of any super "villainous" Is, except maybe Mel. And, she gets more likable later in the books.

Yup. He seems downright mistrustful of extroverts, especially given how a lot of the extroverts in the books are shown to have a superficial charm masking an essentially worthless or even downright villainous character (Renly, Robert, Jaime, Cersei, Joffrey, etc.).

It's kind of funny that the NTs are all villains (or sinister and dangerous at the very least), especially the INTJs: Tywin, Roose, etc. No benevolent INTJ Spock types in this crew.

oh my, this combines my two favourite things, I spend hours and hours looking at personality types as well as asoiaf. thankyou for this creation!

I'm an INFP (I agree that sam is. I would say sansa too but then she at least in the beginning doesn't use intuition strongly to see people such as Joffrey. However she is by nature in love with the idea of romance and a dreamer. I think ISFP or INFP are close to her.)

Daenerys is maybe an ENFP? this takes a lot of qualities people like sansa have such as dreaming and things but she takes these ideas and turns them into possibilities. She is fair and listens to others but when she believes something is right or wrong she will change it no matter what eg. slavery.

I'm not sure though, I'd like to look more into everyone and write more here when I think about it properly. I think you matched people well.

Also, I get the feeling that GRRM has more respect for Introverts than Extroverts, given that far more introverted characters are portrayed positively.

I think it's probably because he's introverted himself, a lot of writers are. someone once said they think he is almost a character in asoiaf in the form of Sam and qualities within people like sam are probably taken from himself. But I know that his favourite to write about is Tyrion so I think he enjoys the ability to have such extroverted characters who will say things he never would, it would be the perfect way to set yourself apart from the way you are naturally.

I think it's amazing that he'e managed to convey so many types and different personalities

Oh man, I'm so dumb. Yes, he is probably a bit like Rhaegar. I sense that Rhaegar leans a little more F than Jon. Jon might be an INTJ.

Not dumb, I didn't specify. Plus I think you're right, Jon may be more T than F. I'm no expert for sure!

I wonder if the gender aspect still tips that way in now formerly patriarchal societies? And I wonder if getting the inner dialogue of the introverts' POVs makes them cooler for the reader?

My girlfriend thinks we should pretend to BE a character and take the survey.

I'm an INFP (I agree that sam is. I would say sansa too but then she at least in the beginning doesn't use intuition strongly to see people such as Joffrey. However she is by nature in love with the idea of romance and a dreamer. I think ISFP or INFP are close to her.)

Sansa's a total S. If she were N, she wouldn't be in the mess she's in. She likes to have things decided and settled (J); she's capable of rolling with the punches, but she doesn't seem to like it very much.

No INTPs?

Littlefinger, maybe? I'd pegged him as an INTJ, but he's the master of improvisation and thrives on chaos (P) rather than being married to plots set in stone (J).

That Sansa isn't an NT doesn't seem to bode well for her prospects as a player. At least Dany (NF) has her dragons to fall back on.

Archived