Meyers-Briggs Personality Types and ASoIaF

ESTJs or "Guardians" are the fourth most common. These people are a little more active in their enforcement of security and order. They are pragmatists who live in a world of concrete facts. They have difficulty with empathy, believing that reducing human suffering can be reduced to addressing needs and wants systematically.

The Hound was probably one of these.

(...)

The ISTP is the first of the "uncommon" archetypes. Called "The Mechanic," this person retreats into their head to solve problems logically and rationally. They are highly beholden to personal codes and like to believe in a natural order to the universe. These people are very "black and white" in their thinking.

I believe that Brienne of Tarth is an ISTP. I think that Stannis Baratheon is an ISTP gone overboard. Robb Stark may have been one of these. But, I really don't know.

You really think Sandor is an extrovert? "Extraversion is a preference to focus on the world outside the self. Extraverts enjoy social interactions and tend to be enthusiastic, verbal, assertive, and animated. They enjoy large social gatherings, such as parties and any kind of group activity. Extraverts are likely to enjoy time spent with people and find themselves energized by social interaction. "

Doesn't sound anything like it. He's possibly the most anti-social person in the series.

Not so sure about Judging/Perceiving, the road trip in ASOS doesn't make him look very J.

I don't see Brienne as a Thinker, she's not at all a type who "solves problems logically and rationally". She's a dreamer, and very much a Feeler.

I'm also unfamiliar with the test. I would just like to know where does Aemon Targaryen fit in?

He seems like an INFJ.

INFJs, making up an estimated 1% of all people, are the most rare type (males even more so). They are introspective, caring, sensitive, gentle and complex people that strive for peace and derive satisfaction from helping others. INFJs are highly intuitive, empathetic and dedicated listeners. These traits tend to act as a "tell me what's wrong" sign on their forehead, hence the nicknames Confidant, Counselor or Empath. INFJs are intensely private and deeply committed to their beliefs.

Idealist_Counselor.jpg

Counselors have an exceptionally strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others, and find great personal fulfillment interacting with people, nurturing their personal development, guiding them to realize their human potential. Although they are happy working at jobs (such as writing) that require solitude and close attention, Counselors do quite well with individuals or groups of people, provided that the personal interactions are not superficial, and that they find some quiet, private time every now and then to recharge their batteries. Counselors are both kind and positive in their handling of others; they are great listeners and seem naturally interested in helping people with their personal problems. Not usually visible leaders, Counselors prefer to work intensely with those close to them, especially on a one-to-one basis, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes.

Counselors are scarce, little more than three percent of the population, and can be hard to get to know, since they tend not to share their innermost thoughts or their powerful emotional reactions except with their loved ones. They are highly private people, with an unusually rich, complicated inner life. Friends or colleagues who have known them for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that Counselors are flighty or scattered; they value their integrity a great deal, but they have mysterious, intricately woven personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors tend to work effectively in organizations. They value staff harmony and make every effort to help an organization run smoothly and pleasantly. They understand and use human systems creatively, and are good at consulting and cooperating with others. As employees or employers, Counselors are concerned with people's feelings and are able to act as a barometer of the feelings within the organization.

Blessed with vivid imaginations, Counselors are often seen as the most poetical of all the types, and in fact they use a lot of poetic imagery in their everyday language. Their great talent for language-both written and spoken-is usually directed toward communicating with people in a personalized way. Counselors are highly intuitive and can recognize another's emotions or intentions - good or evil - even before that person is aware of them. Counselors themselves can seldom tell how they came to read others' feelings so keenly. This extreme sensitivity to others could very well be the basis of the Counselor's remarkable ability to experience a whole array of psychic phenomena.

Tyrion Lannister is the most ENTP character I can think of.

Here's one for ENTPs (Tyrion Lannister), bolding the ones that really hit home:

The inability to maintain a comfortable situation or relationship once its possibilities have been realized or exhausted.

A tendency to consider careful or meticulous thinkers as unworthy plodders or time wasters.

Blindness to the needs and feelings of others not directly involved in the ENTP's current area of interest.

A lack of sensitivity to the feelings and ways of those who might need reassurance, security or commitment.

The inability to deal carefully and calmly with the finer details of a situation or work in progress.

Tendency to become overly annoyed by minor setbacks or small things that have to be set right before the goal can be realized.

A tendency to be arrogant or boastful, or to demean those who cannot see the same answers. An

Can often find themselves in bad situations by too quickly taking a big step forward or by being "too smart for their own good".

No INTPs?

Now I know why Tyrion is my favorite character. I am in between INTP and ENTP and a crazy artist :D

But you are too harsh on us! I can be really nice :blushing: and I am with the same guy for about 100 years, he happens to be a clear INTP and is a Tyrion fan too.

And our children are as weird as we are, we breed creative nerds

:commie:

and now the positive traits of ENTP personalities :

This ability to intuitively understand people and situations puts the ENTP at a distinct advantage in their lives. They generally understand things quickly and with great depth. Accordingly, they are quite flexible and adapt well to a wide range of tasks. They are good at most anything that interests them. As they grow and further develop their intuitive abilities and insights, they become very aware of possibilities, and this makes them quite resourceful when solving problems.

ENTPs are idea people. Their perceptive abilities cause them to see possibilities everywhere. They get excited and enthusiastic about their ideas, and are able to spread their enthusiasm to others. In this way, they get the support that they need to fulfill their visions.

This is Tyrion!

I see Tyrion as an INTJ. He seems to gain his strength and energy from inside, i.e. reading and studying. So I think he's more introvert, he's highly intelligent and creative and close to only a select few. That's my $.02 :)

I think Tyrion may at times appear introvert but this may not be his choice. If by hideous looks, superstitions and twisted upbringing most doors to other people are closed for you or can only be opened by money you may be internal against your nature. He may have introvert tendencies, no one is an absolutely pure personality type but they are not dominant.

I think that Jon Snow is a INTJ, like Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, but unlike them he's a rather positive version. I'm myself an INTJ, which might be why I like reading about him so much.

He's definitly an Introvert rather than Extrovert and definitly Thinking rather than Feeling, and the Intuiton part is more pronounced than the Sensing part it seems to me. The only part I'm iffy on is the Judging or Perceiving part.

I find this interesting, because so few of the "good guys" and only one of the POV can be described as a "Scientist", someone the OP claims to plan civilization and it's continuation, and people that more often than not are succesful as effective villains and threats (Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, mayhaps also Varys and Petyr Baelish).

I think that Jon Snow is a INTJ, like Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, but unlike them he's a rather positive version. I'm myself an INTJ, which might be why I like reading about him so much.

He's definitly an Introvert rather than Extrovert and definitly Thinking rather than Feeling, and the Intuiton part is more pronounced than the Sensing part it seems to me. The only part I'm iffy on is the Judging or Perceiving part.

I find this interesting, because so few of the "good guys" and only one of the POV can be described as a "Scientist", someone the OP claims to plan civilization and it's continuation, and people that more often than not are succesful as effective villains and threats (Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, mayhaps also Varys and Petyr Baelish).

I agree and I think it goes well with his inferiority complexity and general shyness.

• 5 months later...

Apparently a lot of people are INTJ on this thread, myself among them. :lol:

I think that Jon is also an INTJ.

Yeah, INTJ is pretty much your classic "nerd" in this method, so hardly surprising, really. Count me as another in that column.

Jon ? Hmmm, doesn't really strike me as such, I'd say he's more of an ENTJ, to me.

Yeah, INTJ is pretty much your classic "nerd" in this method, so hardly surprising, really. Count me as another in that column.

Jon ? Hmmm, doesn't really strike me as such, I'd say he's more of an ENTJ, to me.

Jon is way more introverted than extroverted

Really ? Guy who became the Lord Commander ? I'll need more convincing than that, I'm afraid.

Being a Lord COmmander has nothing to do with it, since introverts can become as skilled at it as introverts - they just lead in a different way and have different strenght. Also, leadership capability is especially pronounced among INTJ's when compared to other introverted types, they just don't take it upon themselves to lead unless it nessecary.

Reason Jon is an introvert: Jon is often in need of alonetime to recharge his energy and and gather his thoughts before comming back with greater strenght and conviction. This is typical for an introvert. When it's decided that Jon is to be elevated from recruit to a true Black Brother, yet Sam isn't, he's worried - and he deals with the problem by leaving the company of his friends and instead taking a long slow ride, thinking. When Stannis offers him the position as Lord of Winterfell, he doesn't seek out his friends to draw strenght from them, he instead takes a long walk, eventually ending up on the other side of the walk and meeting Ghost again. Other similar instances occur regularily; Jon thinks things true and makes decision when on his own, and often commes out of his loneliness more energized than before (in AGOT he is given the task of spreading crushed stone on the top of the wall; it's very lonely work, but he doesn't mind). Unlike an extrovert, he doesn't lose energy by sitting in his own corner of a room, even if he enjoys others company.

This reflects in the way he draws strenght: he draws it from within himself, rather than from external factors. This is seen in how he Jon is regularily left on his own (among the wildlings, as Lord Commander) yet he constantly steams on, almost never losing momentum.

Also, he's very private and very quiet only saying things when he feels it necessary, as many introverts are, and he is very reflective and introspective, spending alot of his time thinking about how things have turned out, howthings might turn out and where that leaves him, as well as what kind of person he turns into. He also thinks alot before making decisions, and prefers one-on-one talks over group activities. This isn't exclusively an introvert thing of course, but combined with my other points it makes a strong case for Jon being an introvert. Really, compare him to Jaime, Tyrion or Theon who seem like are clear extroverts in my eyes.

So, really, Jon is perhaps the most Introverted of all the POV characters, perhaps even moreso than Ned.

Also, there's (stereotypically) a markant difference in leadershipstyle between an ENTJ and INTJ.

ENTJ: aggressive-assertive.

INTJ: passive-aggressive.

Wait... INFJ is the rarest type?

I don't know how I should feel about getting it, then.

Anyways... found this, it's relevant to the thread.

http://www.orangedrink.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Game-of-Thrones-Myers-Briggs.jpg?4c5b38

This list is on point.

I've struggled over typing Sansa--she's definitely some sort of xSFJ--but ESFJ could work. I always thought of Cersei as an ESFJ, and given all the Cersei/Sansa parallels, it would make sense that they're the same type.

I think Jon is a INFP but I'm not sure

Now I think he's a INTJ

I always thought Jon's too nice to be an INTJ. :D He can be harsh, though, and he seems to be becoming harsher as the books progress.

This list is on point.

I've struggled over typing Sansa--she's definitely some sort of xSFJ--but ESFJ could work. I always thought of Cersei as an ESFJ, and given all the Cersei/Sansa parallels, it would make sense that they're the same type.

I always thought Jon's too nice to be an INTJ. :D He can be harsh, though, and he seems to be becoming harsher as the books progress.

How cruel of you to say so. :frown5:

As for Sansa... she's very difficult to type, IMO. I right now I think she's a INFP. Maybe. Cersei's definitly an ESFJ though, a very unpleasant one.

O well, I had a test on Thursday regarding personality, including some questions about MBTI... This thread is the biggest sign ever for me that it is time to leave Westeros and start working on my assignments :D

I am also INFJ :) Although I chose to complete my self-assessment using Big-5 test. Some results were unpleasant but kind of showed my true colors :D

Archived