Am I the only one who thinks that Catelyn Stark POV's are boring?

Hodoris

• 2 months later...

Dananias, watch out the spoilers -- this is AGoT section

I like her quite a lot as a character -- as someone has said, it's nice to have an emotional breakdown amidst all the carnage and intrigue -- and, if you think in another way, she is a character corrupted from the inside -- by her own mistakes she thought of as the best-things-to-be-done. It gets worse and worse for her character throughout the series

Until she finally gets mad seconds before dying. I was expecting her to lose sanity really sooner. She's really strong.

(ASoS)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She reminded me a lot of my mother, which is both good and bad. Love her, but she drives me crazy quite frequently.

Overall I like her POVs and her perceptions of the events unfolding around her. I enjoyed her in the books more so than "HBO Cat" for a variety of reasons, although I will admit that Michelle Fairley took to the role wonderfully. But I think it was hard to capture the essence of Cat without all the internal turmoil that is hard to express on screen. Not that this is Michelle's fault. She did great with the script/adaptation.

Cat is a good POV and is a very "real" character. Not my favorite, but certainly not the worst by far.

I do, too.

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

She reminded me a lot of my mother, which is both good and bad. Love her, but she drives me crazy quite frequently.

Overall I like her POVs and her perceptions of the events unfolding around her. I enjoyed her in the books more so than "HBO Cat" for a variety of reasons, although I will admit that Michelle Fairley took to the role wonderfully. But I think it was hard to capture the essence of Cat without all the internal turmoil that is hard to express on screen. Not that this is Michelle's fault. She did great with the script/adaptation.

Cat is a good POV and is a very "real" character. Not my favorite, but certainly not the worst by far.

:agree: Pretty much this.

You are missed in a certain thread, Steve. :leaving:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get why there are so many complaints like 'stop being so morose get over it'. If she wasn't having all her internal depressed thoughts as her life is being stripped away i'd be incredibly worried. She never whinges too, contrary to popular belief, and she is incredibly strong despite her depression. Why should a character only be interesting if they are happy, or quippy? Catelyn IMO is the most engrossing character in the books, and i've reread her chapters many times without getting bored.

[spoiler] Even if you don't like her, you have to admit she has a dynamic POV. I mean we get Tyrion's capture, a lot of the intrigue about who killed jon arryn, tyrions trial by combat, whispering wood, King in the north, Renly and Stannis' meeting at storms end, renly's death, her last chapter in clash after she loses bran and rickon and talks to Jaime in the cell is one of the best in the series i think. I will admit her storm of swords chapters leading up to the RW are hard to read, but because they make me so emotional. And obviously the red wedding is in a league of its own. [/spoiler]

I'm not fan of a character, but her POVs are interesting. Especially when she is in the Eyerie or with Robb, since we get so much information about politics. Catelyn is a diplomat and she understands politics. Yeah, there is some angst there too, but no other POV tell us real details about the war.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why there are so many complaints like 'stop being so morose get over it'. If she wasn't having all her internal depressed thoughts as her life is being stripped away i'd be incredibly worried. She never whinges too, contrary to popular belief, and she is incredibly strong despite her depression. Why should a character only be interesting if they are happy, or quippy? Catelyn IMO is the most engrossing character in the books, and i've reread her chapters many times without getting bored.

Even if you don't like her, you have to admit she has a dynamic POV. I mean we get Tyrion's capture, a lot of the intrigue about who killed jon arryn, tyrions trial by combat, whispering wood, King in the north, Renly and Stannis' meeting at storms end, renly's death, her last chapter in clash after she loses bran and rickon and talks to Jaime in the cell is one of the best in the series i think. I will admit her storm of swords chapters leading up to the RW are hard to read, but because they make me so emotional. And obviously the red wedding is in a league of its own.

I do believe this is the still reading section for the first book, Game of Thrones, so you might put some spoiler warnings up. (You did spoil some of the later plot for me. :c)

You can do this by putting

Text here

In case you were unaware. Don't want to seem upset or anything, just hopefully keep from future spoilers.

On the topic of Catelyn though, I do feel that she is incredibly underrated (thus far). Imho, she is possibly one of the most observant characters (especially when it comes to the Starks). I had a different post where I talked about our Lady Catelyn where I went into more depth about this, hopefully I can find it, because it was better written than I feel capable of at the moment.

Archived