Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

I'm new to the forum but I've noticed that a lot of people really like Stannis. I never really took to him as he seems quite cold and not a particularly likable character so I was just wondering what peoples reasons are for liking him.

Why not?

He's smart enough to make Davos his hand, he had a good relationship with Jon, he's the only king who answered the call when the NW asked, he's marching in the snow to take out the Boltons and Freys.

Huh, you know Kitty, somehow i didn't get the impression that you liked Stannis very much.

Good thread! I made my own thread on this as well.

Hi guys, this is my first thread here. What I've noticed while rereading the series is that Aerys and Stannis seem to have a lot of peculiar similarities:

1. Both have others burn people to death. Aerys has his pyromancers do it for him, and Stannis has Melisandre.

2. Both have either come close to killing or have killed children before. Ned points this out in the books when he says he helped Robert win the war so Aerys would stop killing children, and Stannis deeply considered killing a child to pursue his goal of conquering the Seven Kingdoms.

3. Both were stuck in castles for over 6 months (Aerys in Duskendale, Stannis in Storm's End) and perhaps both became mad as a result.

4. Both think they're going to become something they're not: Stannis thinks he will become Azor Ahai, and Aerys thought he would become a dragon.

5. Both have ruled Dragonstone.

6. Aerys roasted the head of House Stark (Rickard) while Stannis roasted a leech meant to represent the head of House Stark (Robb). (Credits to MRHD)

7. Both hurt their siblings in some way (Aerys raped his sister wife and Stannis killed his brother).

8. Both roasted their Hand of the King. (Credits to Nyrhex)

9, Both have loveless marriages. (Credits to Nyrhex)

10. Both tried to fight Lannisters in King's Landing and lost. (Credits to Nyrhex)

Smart, capable, funny, brilliant tactician, iron will, incredibly well written, but most of all his sense of justice/right and wrong. I'll happily debate Stannis' merits with any poster but one thing I hold pretty firm is that he genuinely does the right thing. Davos 4 in ASOS is probably my favorite chapter in all of asoiaf. "I am...I am not a cruel man" "We will make new lords "Rise Davos lord of the Rainwood and admiral of the narrow sea." I think that chapter defines Stannis and Davos in a lot of ways.

And just because I like a character doesn't make me some sort of super fan or pejorative. Yes Stannis is my favorite character, but Jaime is a close second. I don't "stan" for either.

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?

^ This is why I like Stannis.

"Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!

I could make a list with a lot of reasons why people like Stannis, but I'm sure someone else can make a better one.

But, people like who they want to like. Some people take to certain characters, other people take to different characters. It's the beauty of the series.

3 biggest reasons I've discovered from asking his cult members

1) E - Ro

2) he serves as a replacement for those who never got over Ned's death

3) GRRM said he was the closest thing to a hero in the series.

And is it so wrong to "root" for a hero? He's the Rorscach of Westeros, it endears him to readers.

"Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come."

"You are dead men, understand that,"

"Would that all the lords in the Seven Kingdoms had but a single neck..."

"Her own father got this child on her? We are well rid of her, then. I will not suffer such abominations here. This is not King's Landing"

That is why I like him.

I like Stannis. I think he's an okay character. He's not the character that I pay attention to, nor do I think he's the ultimate hero. But he's a competent supporting character, he has held his own on the story and well, he's still alive. The only from five kings. He's too overrated, but well, everyone overrates their favorites sometimes. To sum up, he's a plus.

Archived