Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

wtf? Stannis burns criminals, he has burned about 5 men alive. Each of them guilty of various crimes that any other lord would have punished with execution as well. Aerys burned innocents because it turned him on.

not most of them, ALL 5 men he burned were criminals, confessed criminals, so there is no doubt of their guilt.

Aerys didn't burn innocents, the Starks were guilty.

I have to agree and say that I dont understand why he is so liked. He has his moments for sure and he does seem like a good guy, but he his very harsh and strict. He allows people to be burned alive and even sought to kill his own nephew. He killed his brother and what annoys me the most is that he comes to Wall thinking that the Nights Watch will just rally to his cause when they are not allowed to participate in the wars of the south.

I also get he has done some great things too though. He saved the Wall, he doesnt back done easily, he has a firm sense of justice, and he made Davos his hand. I'm sure he would be a good king, but I dont understand some people making him out to be the best guy in the series.

His brother was a traitor who sought to elevate himself and took advantage of the chaos because he felt like it, then Stannis seriously considered sacrificing his bastard nephew to potentially save the world and end the war and suffering, also he save the wall and needs the nightwatch to lend him his help, the way I see it the nightswatch ceased to exist the moment they couldn't even save their own wall.

For the people who are saying Stannis burned alot of innocents.

-Alester Florent attempted to make peace with the Lannisters after the Battle of Blackwater

-Guncer Sunglass by orders of Queen Selyse after he no longer supports Stannis

-Rattleshirt (Glamour as Mance Rayder)

-Hubard Rambton's two sons after they killed 4 Queen's men

-3 cannibals

ummm, ok then lets say thats accurate(it isnt) what about the smallfolk he burned?

Carrying out the Kings justice, something Stannis can't claim he's doing because he isn't King, in fact the only way you could vilify Aerys' burnings to the same extent as Stannis' ones is if he had actually razed Kings Landing.

I'm tired of all of these 'Why do you like Stannis?' threads. They're actually quite annoying, and if you want to know why the Kingsmen like him, go check the myriad of threads on this very subject.

Why Ser you wound me, not all of us are Kingsmen some are Queensman, though we all are Stan-Men at heart.

Carrying out the Kings justice, something Stannis can't claim he's doing because he isn't King, in fact the only way you could vilify Aerys' burnings to the same extent as Stannis' ones is if he had actually razed Kings Landing.

You seem to be missing/ignoring the fact that he burned Rickard, an innocent man.

It's not that I would like him in person, probably exactly the opposite, but as a leader of a medieval society he is the right guy. He is the embodiment of justice, both good and bad. He follows the law in everything he does. Of course you can question the morality of some of his actions, but in the end, they are always lawful. He also doesn't sugercoat anything, which is the main reason I believe so many people still dislike him. But that's actually great if you think about it. Actions speak louder than words, what he says is what it is, no lies or tricks. He's keeping it real and that's something to admire. And last of all, he is actually the rightful king. That is why you should support him, because you have to follow the law and do your duty.

Its actually quite easy to villy the burning of Rickard Stark, who only obediently came to King's Landings on the orders of his king only to be denied his right

Archived