Small Questions v 10012

Stubby

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how is time kept when there are no seasons? Is a "year" 365 days, and they simply count those? Is the "year" a lunar year (280 days)?

TIA.

[What is the cycle of a year? Why do they count years when seasons are strange?]

Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth. Even on our earth, years have nothing to do with the seasons, or with the cycles of the moon. A year is a measure of a solar cycle, of how long it takes the earth to make one complete revolution around the sun. The same is true for the world of Westeros. Seasons do not come into it.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2997

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how is time kept when there are no seasons? Is a "year" 365 days, and they simply count those? Is the "year" a lunar year (280 days)?

TIA.

A year is measured by a revolution around the sun. There are hints to suggest the astronomy of ASOIAF is just like ours except for the seasons being all funky. I believe there are threads here in which the real scifi dudes suggest how this could work. GRRM usually rinda questioners that ASOIAF is fantasy not scifi.

Perhaps because he was on the Small Council, he was left behind to help keep the country running smoothly.

Thanks, I guess that makes sense, as far as Ser Barristan goes.... Doesn't explain where the other three KG were, and why they weren't protecting the king and his family though.

TIA.

A lunar calender is actually what your talking about and it is 354 days, it's sometimes called a lunar year. The months are synodic.

Why was ghost so friendly towards Melisandre.

Nobody knows, some think he does not see her as a threat but rather an ally which mat tie into Martins claim that most fans misunderstand Mel. Or that she and Varys are often the two most misunderstood characters. Maybe she put the whammy on him. But given Jons ability to Warg and Bloodravens possible ties to ghost it seems unlikely. Seems like Ghost was once again pointing Jon in the right direction which Ghost is known to do. But that is just speculation.

Was there any show foreshadowing like tywin and the dead stag (baratheon) and tywin and the fish (tully) from the deleted scene? I know this is a show question but those threads aren't so quick to reply.

Tywin and the dead stag = BBW (though Stannis survives the battle)

Tywin and the fish = Red Wedding (maybe).

Thanks, I guess that makes sense, as far as Ser Barristan goes.... Doesn't explain where the other three KG were, and why they weren't protecting the king and his family though.

Just speculation but maybe they were in KL too. The Realm was still fairly peaceful at the time so the King probably left them behind. Jamie probably only came because of Cers anyway.

Ah ok thanks. I read a comment from a different thread that all Robb's bannermen affixed their seals to his will but I doubt that. If Roose knows that Robb wanted Jon to succeed him, he'll do something about it like report it to Tywin in case a threat will arise, or he'll ignore that piece of paper like Cersei did to Robert's will. If he doesn't know, well good luck to him; he played the game of thrones and he'll be dead soon. :P

I think the Will was made on their trip from Riverrun to the Twins (to a wedding, remember..?) Roose was not there, he came there from Harrenhal, and made his way other side of the river (Green Fork?). He was already at the Twins when Robb arrived.

I think the Will was made on their trip from Riverrun to the Twins (to a wedding, remember..?) Roose was not there, he came there from Harrenhal, and made his way other side of the river (Green Fork?). He was already at the Twins when Robb arrived.

Yep, juz wonderin' if someone told him about the will coz he was not a traitor yet before the Red Wedding. If most of Robb's bannermen know about it (those that are with him), why not tell him about it too when they met? Roose would be pissed of being one of the last lords to know (well, some probably don't know it too like Old Frey and Mr. Reed at the time) and might accuse his king of having his favorites. Good for him though for not knowing (if he really doesn't know) coz he'll betray his king anyway (or endanger Jon).

Yep, juz wonderin' if someone told him about the will coz he was not a traitor yet before the Red Wedding. If most of Robb's bannermen know about it (those that are with him), why not tell him about it too when they met? Roose would be pissed of being one of the last lords to know (well, some probably don't know it too like Old Frey and Mr. Reed at the time) and might accuse his king of having his favorites. Good for him though for not knowing (if he really doesn't know) coz he'll betray his king anyway (or endanger Jon).

Robb had already sent Roose north before the will was drafted and signed:

SoS:

“Very well, I’ll beg his pardon for our tardiness as well. A sorry king I’ll be, apologizing with every second breath.” Robb made a wry face. “I hope Bolton got across the Trident before the rains began. The kingsroad runs straight north, he’ll have an easy march. Even afoot, he should reach the Twins before us.”
This is from the conversation with Cat at Oldstones, just before the will is signed, so unless Robb has some off screen time with Roose or one of the other Commanders spills the beans he probably doesn't know or at least he didn't at the RW. He may know it now but I haven't found anything definite yet either way.

Robb had already sent Roose north before the will was drafted and signed:

SoS:

This is from the conversation with Cat at Oldstones, just before the will is signed, so unless Robb has some off screen time with Roose or one of the other Commanders spills the beans he probably doesn't know or at least he didn't at the RW. He may know it now but I haven't found anything definite yet either way.

I think the idea is that Robb or one of his other bannermen might have mentioned it to Roose and/or Walder after they arrived before the nastiness commenced.

Archived