Stannis as Hand

Lord of Handle

Put on your AU caps folks!

What do you think would have happened if Robert, in a single moment of lucidness, had forgotten whatever grudge he might have held against Stannis and named him Hand of the King?

What do you think the ramifications of this would be?

Stannis wouldn't have run off to Dragonstone, but would be forced to stay in the thick of the action in KL, which might have consequences for how Renly would react in the event of Robert's death.

Ned would have had no reason to come south, but Littlefinger might still have had Lysa send the letter blaming Jon Arryn's murder on the Lannister, as it would still be in his interest to sow dissent between the Starks and the Lannisters.

And what would Stannis do? He didn't think that Robert would believe him if he told him of the incest, and he would have every reason to believe that the Lannisters had Jon Arryn killed, and that he would be next.

How do you think events would have played out?

ETA: I mean if Robert had named Stannis Hand after the death of Jon Arryn. I think it's much, much more of a stretch to imagine Robert naming Stannis Hand as long as Jon Arryn was still alive and not showing any signs of deteriorating,

Bobert would still be dead.

Stannis would have assumed the throne and would be fighting against the Lannisters,But now with the whole of the Stormlands and probably RIverlands behind him and if the Riverlands get attacked Ned would get involved in the war too.

So quite obviously Varys would have had Stannis killed.

I don't think we can speculate on how people would react to specific events as Stannis being hand is such a big change that everything would be completely different. We know Jon advised Robert to marry Cersei so maybe Stannis would advise him differently and she wouldn't murder him. This is one of countless differences and possibilities.

I think we can say bye bye to LF and Varys. Im not sure if things would have escalated the way they did if Bobert dies because I think Stannis being hand would make the Baratheon brothers look (Be?) more united. I think the Twincest would be contained more easily as well.

But we never know...

Well, Stannis was on Roberts Council, so was in KL for most of the time, that is, until Jon Arryn was killed.

But the point is he wouldn't be able to flee the capital after Jon Arryn's death. It's one thing for the Master of Ships to go to Dragonstone (which is the base of most of the Royal Fleet anyway IIRC?) and quite another for the Hand of the King to leave the capital for no apparent reason.

Bobert would still be dead. Stannis would have assumed the throne and would be fighting against the Lannisters,But now with the whole of the Stormlands and probably RIverlands behind him and if the Riverlands get attacked Ned would get involved in the war too. So quite obviously Varys would have had Stannis killed.
Varys and/or Littlefinger and/or Cersei would poison Stannis.

Sadly, I think this is probably the most likely outcome. Stannis would have to be insanely cautious to survive in that viper pit.

And I should probably have made it more clear that I meant if Stannis became Hand after Jon Arryn's murder. Sorry about that.

Stannis goes into a lot of depth on this issue early on in ACOK - "but Robert went galloping off to Ned Stark" - or something like that. About how Robert always considered Ned his brother, but Stannis was his actual brother, who broke and oath to the king to support his own brother, who held Storms End for a year for his brother, who subdued the Greyjoys for his brother, and then subdued the lords of the Narrow Sea, again for his brother. And he got shit in return.

Gotta agree with the Stannis there - Robert was an idiot for not turning to his incredibly loyal and actually competent brother. Yes, he has almost no personality (Cressen fully backs that up), but he is THE guy to go to when you need shit done.

I doubt LF or Varys' would've been able to poison Stannis, he WAS incredibly careful and paranoid, and he basically only drinks water with a pinch of salt. There would probably have been quite a clash of views on the whole prostitution front, however...

Well, a lot of things would be different. Stan would be a fantastic Hand, that's for sure. I think the Lannisters would have had tried to have him killed, but unlike Jon Arryn, I think he would have survived. After that, war with the Lannisters. I think Renly still would have married Margaery (great political alliance) so it would be Starks, Baratheons, Arryns, and Tyrells vs Lannisters. Or, maybe, after Cersei is killed, Robert marries her in exchange for alliance...

It's too much speculation, honestly.

Stan wouldn't survive very long before he got outmaneuvered by The Lannisters/Littlefinger/Varys

They would be dead before the ink was dry.

Well, not the Lannisters. They get the benefits of their rank and titles, for all of everything else. Maybe he'd end up dickering with Tywin. Maybe not. Can't be worse than what happened elsewise.

Archived