Wyman Manderly Jibes?

Buckthorn

In ADWD during Ramsay's Wedding in Winterfell Little Walder Frey is found dead. Lord Manderly thus flares high tensions between The Freys and Manderly forces by stating- "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey." I find Manderly's quip ironic because Little Walder Frey's favorite game with his cousin Big Walder was Lord of the Crossing with the word "Mayhaps" being a fundamental part of the game. I always thought this was Manderly's way to mock the Freys, but I'm not sure if he knew of the Lord of the Crossing game, therefore making his jibe a coincidence. What do you guys think?

I think it's an intentional coincidence by GRRM.

And yeah, I also love Manderly, which means George is probably writing his death scene right now

Manderly's my least favorite character, so he'll probably still be around by book 7.you have to be careful about throwing around "favorite" character labels like that if you want him to survive!

` I also like the ole Merman. And I also think he's prepared to die. He has his heir back and he plans to turn on the Boltons. But he can't be leaving with his men as he's too fat. So he's stuck at WF and might pay the ultimate price once they have Rickon.

Isn't "mayhaps" used often though? I see no reason why Wyman wouldn't be using it either.

Archived