Wyman Manderly Jibes?

Buckthorn

I am trying to think what would be more amazing . . .

That GRRM would be that tricky to work such a subtle and awesome shout-out to the earlier book.,

Or that Westeros boards now have so many people looking at so many tiny pieces of each book we are generating our own genius references, puns, and plays on words out of totally random text.

Either way, great catch.

I never thought much of Lord Manderly until the Davos chapter where he goes to White Harbor. His dialouge in that chapter lead me to believe that there is actually a GNC. Feeding the Freys their own kin was just icing on the cake. I hope Lord Manderly lives to be 150 years old.

Isn't "mayhaps" used often though? I see no reason why Wyman wouldn't be using it either.

"Mayhaps" is used a lot, and by many different characters (not just Freys/in relation to Freys). I don't think it has some covert meaning every single time somebody uses it. Yes, Manderly's use of it here could very well be a jibe, but IMO there also could be nothing more to it than a different way of saying "perhaps".

I, too, really like Wyman Manderly, so like somebody said above that probably means GRRM is writing his death scene even as we speak. :P I hope he goes down fighting, though.

I never thought much of Lord Manderly until the Davos chapter where he goes to White Harbor. His dialouge in that chapter lead me to believe that there is actually a GNC. Feeding the Freys their own kin was just icing on the cake. I hope Lord Manderly lives to be 150 years old.

But didn't Lord Manderly eat some Frey-Pie as well?

In the chapter where Davos is at Manderlys court. The Freys say that during the salt and bread ritual King rob accepted they invoked mayhaps. that is why it started such a commotion in winter fell when Davos says the same thing.

Archived