Jorah,Jon,and Longclaw

Twookus Stark

I think by leaving Longclaw behind, it showed that he had enough respect for the Mormont family to not disrespect the family sword, by pawning it off. And as Jorah spent time as a slave himself, he might just realize that Ned exiling him was the right thing to do, and seeing Ned's bastard with his sword...I dunno, I feel Jorah is a decent enough man to leave it be

Didn't Jorah flee?

I remember a part where ned is mentioned not arriving in time with ice to deliver justice before jorah fled.

eta: seems he did flee rather than die

."Ned had made the long journey west to bear island, only to find when he arrived that Jorah had taken ship beyond the reach of Ice and the king's justice. Five years has passed since then" - Eddard 2 GoT

My crackpot theory regarding Jorah and Longclaw, is that he would steal the blade from Jon, before the final battle against the White Walker army (likely at the wall, if it's still standing at this point).

This would:

-Give Jon a reason to be holding a sword other than Longclaw (like if say, going along with the idea that Jon is AAR, and that a sword like "Dawn" is "Lightbringer")

-Give Jorah a small character arc, late in the story (Him stealing the sword, being his "rock bottom", dishonorable act, followed by him returning with it at a key moment to redeem himself and earn his right to the blade/his pardon)

-Be somewhat of a symbolic moment for John. A "bastard sword" for a "bastard". If John ends up wielding Dawn (as Lightbringer), or killing (f)Aegon/claiming Blackfyre from him. That would be symbolic of John shedding off his identity as a Stark bastard, and embracing his identity as AAR (Dawn/Lightbringer) or as a Targaryan (by "reclaiming" "Blackfyre" to house Targaryan, from the (f)Aegon Blackfyre)

I see it as a tool/symbol that help unit Jon & Dany's forces for the final battle.

Jon receiving Longclaw and being Old Mormount's fill in son will help Jorah know what kind of person Jon is.

Yes there is Tyrion, but he is Tyrion. Characters don't give a **** about his thoughts.

I wonder, why didn't Jorah sell the blade earlier on. I'm sure Tywin Lannister would have paid more than enough to ensure Lynesse remains appropriately comfortable for the rest of their days.

Because the plot required all Mormont to behave like morons for Jon's benefit.

Dany promised a sword to Jorah in book one, so that promise has to be fulfilled sometime.

I believe Jon having Longclaw just shows that you can wield a sword from another house as long as its earned honorably the way Jon earned it. Similar to Brienne with Oathkeeper, we dont view her as dishonorably wielding Oath because she earned it by agreeing to search for Sansa.

Dany promised a sword to Jorah in book one, so that promise has to be fulfilled sometime.

I believe Jon having Longclaw just shows that you can wield a sword from another house as long as its earned honorably the way Jon earned it. Similar to Brienne with Oathkeeper, we dont view her as dishonorably wielding Oath because she earned it by agreeing to search for Sansa.

I'm still pretty pissed off that Tywin had Ice divided into two swords. Sure sure, it's nice that Brienne is "guarding Eddard Stark's daughters with his own sword." But Jesus Tywin, show some freaking respect!!!

As far as Longclaw goes, I could see Jon giving the sword back to Jorah. The Old Bear was like a father figure to Jon and I think he'd want to fulfill his last wishes since Sam told Jon what happened.

• 1 year later...

there is talk that Longclaw is Blackfyre (and some say Darksister???) I am trying to find out, tinfoil hat aside, is there anywhere that says Jorah gave up the sword (in his own words?) For the life of me, the only mention I can remember it coming up is when Jeor tells Jon about it, saying his son had the sense to leave it behind, which is something I can see Jorah doing.....I could never see him selling it for the life of me, but does Jorah himself ever actually talk about it?

The theory is Bloodraven through the LCs till Mormont,has been holding it for Jon (the scene where Jeor eyes Jon while his pet crow says "King" and lands on the pommel of the sword and Jon mentions something about Jeor neeeding a crwo n according to the bird....but Jeor's response and action in that scene is peculiar it seems to me....if the theory is true that Longclaw is Blackfyre then Jeor has either been waiting for Jon (and is signaled or confirmed by the bird who Jon really is and he should get he sword...or he has known all along who he would be waiting for...hence making him his steward... but I digress....

My question is do we just get told by Jeor what Jorah did with the sword or does Jorah mention it? Is it possible Jorah doesnt actually know about Longclaw?

While its not beyond reason that the last un-tainted male Mormont would have the sword, and Jeor actually keeps it put up and never uses it because the pain associated with his son and all and it would just remind him. Wouldnt it make more sense to keep the sword a the seat of their house till the bear who is worthy comes along (Like Dawn

On the other end, if Jorah does know about it....and if Jon lives....or is reborn....would that make Longclaw reborn with him and be the right proper burning sword of a reborn Jon (StarGaryen, AA? or just plain Stark?)

I dont see a happy ending for Jon, at least not one with him sitting the IR with Longclaw and Ghost at his side, If Jorah and Dany make it to Westeros and Jorah lives, and knows about the sword (that is the story Jeor tells it true) it might be a nice thing for Jorah to return home, having payed for his crime(s) in spades and 'earning' Longclaw.

there is talk that Longclaw is Blackfyre (and some say Darksister???) I am trying to find out, tinfoil hat aside, is there anywhere that says Jorah gave up the sword (in his own words?) For the life of me, the only mention I can remember it coming up is when Jeor tells Jon about it, saying his son had the sense to leave it behind, which is something I can see Jorah doing.....I could never see him selling it for the life of me, but does Jorah himself ever actually talk about it?

The theory is Bloodraven through the LCs till Mormont,has been holding it for Jon (the scene where Jeor eyes Jon while his pet crow says "King" and lands on the pommel of the sword and Jon mentions something about Jeor neeeding a crwo n according to the bird....but Jeor's response and action in that scene is peculiar it seems to me....if the theory is true that Longclaw is Blackfyre then Jeor has either been waiting for Jon (and is signaled or confirmed by the bird who Jon really is and he should get he sword...or he has known all along who he would be waiting for...hence making him his steward... but I digress....

My question is do we just get told by Jeor what Jorah did with the sword or does Jorah mention it? Is it possible Jorah doesnt actually know about Longclaw?

While its not beyond reason that the last un-tainted male Mormont would have the sword, and Jeor actually keeps it put up and never uses it because the pain associated with his son and all and it would just remind him. Wouldnt it make more sense to keep the sword a the seat of their house till the bear who is worthy comes along (Like Dawn

On the other end, if Jorah does know about it....and if Jon lives....or is reborn....would that make Longclaw reborn with him and be the right proper burning sword of a reborn Jon (StarGaryen, AA? or just plain Stark?)

I dont see a happy ending for Jon, at least not one with him sitting the IR with Longclaw and Ghost at his side, If Jorah and Dany make it to Westeros and Jorah lives, and knows about the sword (that is the story Jeor tells it true) it might be a nice thing for Jorah to return home, having payed for his crime(s) in spades and 'earning' Longclaw.

I can't recall the quote but Jeor mentions that when his son dishonored his house he had the sense to leave the sword behind but that Jeor could hardly stand to look at it as it was a constant reminder of his son.Which is why he forgot about it almost entirely and after Jon saves him decided to let it be put to use.

My gut says that Longclaw will be the Sword that Daenerys promised Jorah.

Daenerys will come into obsession of Blackfyre, the Targaryen sword. She will give this to Jon at some point.

Then Jon will give Longclaw to Jorah on behalf of Daenerys and LC Mormont

Not to Lady Mormont, Aly Mormont or Aly's children? How rude.

Even so, Jorah seems to be honorable at his core. His wife made him crazy. He left the sword behind, his father gave it to Jon for saving his life. I don't think Jorah would dishonor his father again by taking back a gift bestowed on someone else.

Archived