Christian discussion: Everyone welcome, but please respect the intent of the thread

MisterOJ

• 1 month later...
Am really enjoying my faith these days. It's strange how it ebbs and flows; there are times when I feel totally cut off from the Lord, and other times when I feel a constant awareness of the presence of a divine power.

I'm just grateful, I guess.

Am really enjoying my faith these days. It's strange how it ebbs and flows; there are times when I feel totally cut off from the Lord, and other times when I feel a constant awareness of the presence of a divine power.

It's the bees, isn't it? Seeing the work of the Creator and all?  :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I feel the same way sometimes.

I know what you mean. A missionary came to speak in my church on Sunday and was nearly moved to tears. Or when I went to Westminster Abbey I really felt the majesty of God.

• 1 month later...

I had heard that Stephen Colbert was a man of deep faith, but this is the first I have actually seen about it in depth. I don't get the channel that will be airing the program on Sunday, but I hope to be able to see it online at some point.

He is on the cover of a magazine called St. Anthony Messenger.

Taking the baby's father in for a first confession in about 30 years.  Any of you Catholics know what to impart for such a Constantine moment?

We're Catholic.  

I'm making an appointment with a priest that I like.  I think that'll help.  Also, I'm going first unless he wants to "get it over with".

Taking the baby's father in for a first confession in about 30 years.  Any of you Catholics know what to impart for such a Constantine moment?

Grab a Snickers. 

Disclaimer: Not Catholic. 

• 2 months later...

This is a sad week for me. 

I am deeply troubled by the amount of Christians, both that I know personally and those that claim to be followers of Christ in the public eye, are calling for the U.S. to stop taking in Syrian refugees. With all my heart, I believe that is completely opposite to the reaction that Jesus would have. I understand why they are scared. I do. But, if the Bible teaches us nothing else, it is that love and faith will conquer fear. Fear is a tool of evil and love is a tool of good.

Like the song says, "They will know we are Christians by our love." It is time to show the world that we are Christians. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a situation that I don't feel warrants its own thread. This seems the most appropriate place to ask.

My grandmother died very recently, and her funeral will be sometime between now and Christmas. My grandmother, unlike the rest of the family, was a Catholic, and she'll therefore be having a catholic ceremony (so I am told). The reasoning I am posting here is to ask what sort of thing to expect. As I said, I'm not religious, and can't think on the last time I went to church. I have been to a funeral before, but it that instance it was a...not sure of the correct term but I think humanist? Where someone basically stood up, and spoke about my granddad's life (having put together a timeline by talking to his family) for a while and then we placed a flower on his coffin before he was cremated. I've been told it's likely to be very different to that, so if anyone can give me some sort of idea I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

@Helena

First, I am sorry  for your loss. The death of loved ones is never easy and even harder when it coincides with holidays.

To answer your question concerning your grandmother's funeral and what to expect, the wake/viewing will probably be no different than what you have already experienced. A traditional Catholic funeral will also have a funeral mass for the departed, which will precede the wake.  The only real difference from a regular Catholic mass are the readings of the Bible, blessing of the departed and a processional viewing. After the mass concludes there will be a funeral procession to the wake/viewing which will typically be held in a funeral home. The wake is no different than what it sounds like you are already familiar with. Family and friends may say words, or the priest will. The following day will be the internment. There may be another funeral procession from the funeral home or everyone will simply meet at the cemetery. Prayers will be said for the deceased and the casket will be lowered into the grave. Family and friends will then typically meet for a meal following the internment.

Again, I am sorry for your loss. 

Thank you Astromech, for the info and kind words.

So, if I understand you, the service will run across two/three days? I'll give a bit more detail about my last funeral to give you some idea what I have already experienced. Basically we were given an option, the evening before, to see my granddad in the Funeral Home. This was informal and wasn't really part of the service. The next day we drive to the crematorium and had a service in the sort of chapel there,mwhich lasted probably 40-50 minutes. We then moved outside and were able to look at a small plot of land where they had laid the flowers we had bought to put on the coffin during the service. We then drove back to my grandmother's house for the wake, where the caterers had put on a buffet and people sat around and reminisced. It was all over within a day, basically. 

From what you are saying, it sounds as though here is the viewing the day before, then a service the next day, and another service the day afterwards? Is this correct? And the only difference between these services and what I had experienced already is that the Catholic service has prayers and hymns and lasts longer? 

Sorry if my questions seem foolish and insipid, I really don't know anything at all about this sort of thing though, and I would like to be prepared.

Let me echo the sentiment that I am sorry for your loss. I'm doubly sorry that you are experiencing the loss during the holidays. I know what that can be like, as my wife's sister passed away (quite suddenly and at a young age) during this time of year.

And, while I'm not a Catholic, my wife's whole family is and I've been to a handful of funerals for her family. And they have always been one-day ordeals. Well, two if you count the viewing at the funeral home the night before. But as for the service, it has always been at the church with the priest speaking and doing a funeral mass, followed by a procession to the gravesite, where the priest said a few more words, and then the immediate family met back at the church for a meal together. I'm sure some customs vary, based on where you live and what the local traditions are.

Let me correct my previous statement. It's been a good twenty years since I've attended a complete Catholic funeral. Mister OJ is correct: the viewing takes place before the mass which is followed by the internment and gathering of family and friends for a meal. The latest funerals I've attended have not had a religious ceremony as a component besides prayers at the viewing and internment. I was confusing the order of the viewing and mass. The viewing typically is the evening before the mass and internment, but may all be held in the same day. I'm not sure what the tradition is where you are from. The main addition to any funeral you have previously attended would be the funeral mass.

The last few relatives of mine to pass away did not want any ceremony of any kind and were simply cremated. I, of course, respected their wishes but there is no sense of closure. Having no ceremony whatsoever simply leaves a void. The catharsis of a ceremony, I feel, is necessary to fill that emptiness.

Archived